X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • statik
    • Feb 2005

denon avr-3805 or yamaha htr-5790

I have the opportunity to purchase either, at a very low price. I have done tons of research on both. I still cannot decide which one to purchase. They will be powering some polk RTs just for home theater. Its a dedicated theater room with a 4805 projector.
    any advice on which one to get and why? I already studied the specs 8 million times.
    thanx!
  • Kens1
    • Mar 2005

With my wife having 5 sisters I also have 5 brother in laws, which, thankfully are all into home theater to some degree. One brother in law has the 3805 and the other has a yamaha - not sure which one, but not the one you are inquiring about. However, i do know he paid good money for it.
    Anyways, I tend to prefer the Denon only because I find it a bit better on the music side of things - more laid back and not as forward in the highs.
    You mentioned it would be mostly for ht so in that regard I don't think you could go wrong with either.
    I find both of these brands exceptional for ht - so that would be a hard one to figure out. Maybe one brand has more features that appeal to you - auto eq, programmable/ learning remote?
    Anyways, congrats on whichever you purchase - you'll be a happy camper either way.

Comment

• hired goon
      • Aug 2004

G'day,

I've heard the 3805, and many Yamaha amps, and have always preferred the 3805. Yamaha amps (in my opinion) are too bright. However, I have not heard the Yamaha HTR-5790, so take my opinion with a grain of NaCl.

I've also found that the 3805 sucks at two-channel, but that doesn't appear to be a problem for you now, but something to keep in mind just in case.

--Geoff

Comment

• statik
        • Feb 2005

thanx for the replies, I wound up getting the newest yamaha, the 5890. brand new A stock factory sealed for $500 bucks. havent tried it yet, I can always sell it and go with the denon if needed.
        140X7

Comment

• miner
          • Mar 2005

Which Polk RTs? I recently handed down my RT20p to my son - God I miss them. A good all around speaker.

Comment

• statik
            • Feb 2005

RT800s

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"