X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hired goon
    • Aug 2004

Replace Rotel RSP-168 with ... what?

G'day,

I've currently got a Rotel RSP-1068 AV pre-processor for my 2-channel and multi-channel duties. I chose the 1068 because it had superior 2-channel quality.

But I'm thinking more and more about getting a dedicated stereo setup for my 2-channel listening, and a HTPC for home theatre duties. The RSP-1068 has been beaut, but I'm wondering if this AV pre-processor is overkill for future use (or even redundant).

I'm thinking that I'll have the HTPC send the audio out via SPDIF, so all I really need is an external DD/DTS converter on the other end, to connect to an existing multi-channel amplifier.

I'm unsure what this "external DD/DTS converter" should be, however. I can stick with my existing RSP-1068, but I'm wondering what other A/V pre-processors are options here? For example, in terms of pre-processors, what is the difference in DD/DTS conversion between the Rotel and (say) a Denon or Marantz AV receiver? What products compete with the RSP-1068?

I may just keep the RSP-1068, but I'm wondering if I should look for a cheaper (but just as effective) replacement.

--Geoff
  • Nick M
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Nov 2004

For simple 5.1 DD/DTS look at the $699 Outlaw Audio Model 950 pre/pro.
    ~Nick

Comment

• Spearmint
      • Sep 2004

Originally posted by hired goon
      G'day,

I've currently got a Rotel RSP-1068 AV pre-processor for my 2-channel and multi-channel duties. I chose the 1068 because it had superior 2-channel quality.

But I'm thinking more and more about getting a dedicated stereo setup for my 2-channel listening, and a HTPC for home theatre duties. The RSP-1068 has been beaut, but I'm wondering if this AV pre-processor is overkill for future use (or even redundant).

I'm thinking that I'll have the HTPC send the audio out via SPDIF, so all I really need is an external DD/DTS converter on the other end, to connect to an existing multi-channel amplifier.

I'm unsure what this "external DD/DTS converter" should be, however. I can stick with my existing RSP-1068, but I'm wondering what other A/V pre-processors are options here? For example, in terms of pre-processors, what is the difference in DD/DTS conversion between the Rotel and (say) a Denon or Marantz AV receiver? What products compete with the RSP-1068?

I may just keep the RSP-1068, but I'm wondering if I should look for a cheaper (but just as effective) replacement.

--Geoff
      I have just been down this track but the opposite way.

I have a Denon 3805 which I was using as a pre/pro, and absolutely loved it for all formats excluding 2ch. I have just bought the Rotel 1098 to take its place, although the 1098 sounds excellent on all formats it looses out in some of the intelligence and also setup. You find most of the newer processors have the same or very similar operation, so here are just a couple of things that I felt the Rotel misses out on.

1: No mic included and no auto setup or EQ.
      2: all level & volume adjustments in .5dB
      3: delays in .1mtr adjustments
      4: when configured with the Denon 3910 & Denon Link the 3805 automatically changed to appropriate input options i.e. 2ch mode if a CD was put into the player, or if it didn’t support a mode i.e. SACD to ext in all with out user intervention.

There are a few more things like 9.1 output, all features available from the remote etc.

Now some will say most if not all of these things are gimmicks, maybe but the Denon also does a fantastic job with HT & multi-channel music IMO.

So I have this Rotel 940AX 2channel pre amp straight analogue no bass management no nothing, I coupled it up to my new RCD-1072 and did not like the sound very much, very sterile I guess you would call it, hence the upgrade to the 1098. Now I am very happy with both 2ch & HT, but I am also considering have both units installed and coupled via digital, using the 1098 to drive the mains, and just do 2ch stuff, and use the Denon 3805 to drive centre and surrounds and do all multi-channel stuff.
      Richard

"Sometimes it is easier to ask forgiveness than to get permission... "

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"