X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • saurabh
    • Feb 2005

Changed the Room - new layout now

hi,

After discussing my previous room(if you have seen my previous thread) layout (which was really bad) in this forum, I was able to convince the "decor police" to vacate one of the rooms for the HTS(layout is attchd) and we will shift the TV/HTS there. Now I want to mount all Spks on the walls, even the front and center(thats the agreement 8) ). So the concerns now are :

a) No its not my drawing skills that you see an uneven room,this room has uneven shape(which i guess is good for the HTS, correct me !).

b) The height of the room is too much, a wooping 11.25 ft, although I intend to place the surrounds 2-3 ft above the listening position, Is this good or bad? .

c) What should be the ideal horizontal distance between Sofa and the surrounds, behind it. Since now I have enough space on the back of the sofa.

d) What should be the preferred position for the Direct radiating surround spks, towards each other or towards the listening position for that ambient surround sound field.

e) After reducing the depth of TV from the Spks, the TV screen will still be protuding 1.6 ft ahead of the front/Center spks, is that a reason for concern and if yes, what will I loose.
    Attached Files
    Need is the mother of all Inventions.....I am needy
  • Snap
    Super Senior Member
    • Feb 2005

Lucky You

That is cool that you are getting your own room to do this! 8) I am sure that the heavy hitters will weigh in as well but here is what I see.

1. Check out this site they put some good stuff out there. http://www.audioholics.com/techtips/setup/index.php

2. The height of 11.5 IMHO is not a problem. I have 12.5 cathedral in my house and it sounds great. I even had sats in the Den at first! . But that is just my opinion.

3. What worries me is that little wall on the right! 8O That wall has the potential to throw some sound around that could be less than cool. Combine that with the Sub being on that side, it could get ugly.

Fix: "I" (I Being the Key word) would move the sub to the left side of the room to start with. (You can always move it to the right later) Some acoustical treatment on the face of that little wall on the right might help dampen/control the sound. They say that you get +6db by putting the sub in a corner. If you put the sub in the right corner it is probably going to be even more. (Depending on what way you have it firing.)

And the money saving way is to set it up and if you have some flutter echoes or crazy bass rolling off that sidewall, and then you can do some treatments. The main speakers you are going to have to nail on the first try! :wink: But the sub you can move.

"Direct Radiating surrounds usually perform best when placed behind and slightly higher than the listening position, spread apart the same distance as the mains and slightly toed in."

I got that quote from, http://www.audioholics.com/techtips/...lacement01.php

All things considered, this is going to be a nice HTS! :T
    The Bitterness of poor quality last longer than the joy of low prices.

Comment

• saurabh
      • Feb 2005

thanks snap

anyone....any comments on my point (e) ????
      Need is the mother of all Inventions.....I am needy

Comment

• Snap
        Super Senior Member
        • Feb 2005

Sorry about that. My Center is about a 1 foot behind the TV. The mains are even though. But that is more for looks than anything. I can't see why 2 feet is going to hurt? IMHO. 8)
        The Bitterness of poor quality last longer than the joy of low prices.

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"