X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • audiofantoo
    • Mar 2005

Best center match for Energy C4s?

I currently have Energy C4 fronts and a CC1 center but they don't match very well. The C4s are an older vintage Connoisseur line and center speakers were not available then. I can buy C2s off eBay for surround but I'm not sure what the best answer is for the center speaker. I'm considering a Veritas center but it's a big jump in price.
  • Uncle Clive
    Former Moderator
    • Jan 2002

Welcome to the Guide Mr. Torello :welcome:

Have you looked at the specs of the C-C3? Should be cheeper than the Veritas I think. Of course it's a hard call if you can't audition them (from Ebay) before purchasing :scratchhead:

Good Luck! :T
    CLIVE

HEY!! Why buy movie tickets when you can own a Theater?

Comment

• aud19
      Twin Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2003

My guess is if you want to get closer to the older model you'd probably actually want to go down a line not up.... However I'd recommend new C3's or C7 mains and move your c-4's to the rears Either that or scrap them all and upgrade the whole setup to the Veritas! :P
      Jason

Comment

• Jeff Aguilar
        • Jun 2001

I would look at Ebay for an Energy AC-300, which is biwirable or the RVSS. Both of those would match your C-4's perfectly.

Here is an AC-300 on Ebay.

The Veritas is definetly a big step up. You can the non i versions on audiogon for around $400.

I would go after the AC-300. It should run you around $200 used. It is a great speaker!

Jeff Aguilar

Comment

• audiofantoo
          • Mar 2005

C-C1 vs C-C3

Thanks for the help! I thought the AC-300 might be worth a try but the last time I tried bidding on one the seller wanted too much. Guess it's worth another attempt.

If I can't get an AC-300, do you think the C-C3 would bring me closer to matching the C-4s than the C-C1?

Comment

• Jeff Aguilar
            • Jun 2001

I haven't listened to the C-C3, so I couldn't tell you. I have listened to the the old Connesuer line compared to the new one and they are VERY different sounding to me. They use much different tweeters. The new C line is suppose to have the same tweeter as the veritas line, but it sounds MUCH different. The Veritas is much more wide open and less compressed. I think the old C line sounds better to me than the new one. But that is just my opinion.

Jeff

Comment

• audiofantoo
              • Mar 2005

I agree, and a white noise tone test confirms this. Based just on white noise, the C-4s are much flatter and their highs extend beyond the C-C1. I don't have any DVD audio or SACD source so I bought a Diana Krall concert DVD to get a sense of what surround audio would be like and she disappeared when I switched from stereo to 5.1! I cranked the center up and turned down the fronts but the image didn't improve even at the most extreme settings. When I went back to using just the 2 C-4s there she was - right in the middle of the stage again :-)

I'm going to try returning the C-C1 today and take my chances on eBay.

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"