X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • caves
    • Sep 2007

Energy R10 or B&W 685?????HELP!!!!

I'm buying a home theater for my bedroom. The room is small. I want to buy something that will also satisfy me for just listening to music. At the moment I've set my eye on:

Denon AVR-2308CI receiver
    Energy RC10 fronts
    Energy Mini center
    Energy RC Mini for the back
    Energy S8.3 Subwoofer
    Cost: $2,000.

I also like the new B&W 685 speakers (with HTM62 Center, 686 surrounds and ASW608 Subwoofer). This setup would set me back another $500 (using the same Denon AVR-2308CI receiver).

The bedroom measures 12' x 14'. And I will only be able to use half of it for settin up the system (one love seat flush to the wall on one end and an AV furniture at the opposite side with Sharp Acquos 37" LCD on top with the components inside.

I would wecome opinions of folks with more experience who have listened to other systems of similar cost that will be bettet to what I'm looking at. Thank you very much.
  • jack667
    • Jul 2007

Haven't heard the energy stuff, but the B&W 685s are incredible for the money. Much darker sounding than the previous 600 series, and far more mature and detailed...
    B&W 683. Advantage S-101. Mac Mini. 53,000 tunes.

Comment

• James63
      • Dec 2006

I do not care for energy. They always sound like they have a mid bass hump.

Comment

• aud19
        Twin Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2003

I've got some older Energy C's and at the time I auditioned thought they and the B&W 6 series were pretty similar in the midrange but the Energy's had better bass and just as extended of treble wit less of the "spittiness"/aggressiveness I found in the 6's.

That said they both make great speakers, audition both and see which YOU prefer
        Jason

Comment

• Pez
          • May 2004

I feel with Energy you get more bang for your buck than B&W. I wouldnt say B&W's are overpriced but are priced at where they should be (ie you get what you pay for). Both are excellent and I have owned both, I just feel that with the same priced speaker Energy speaker I am getting a better deal. I cant speak of the new 600 series but B&W does have the edge on fit and finish on the higher models.

Comment

• nick.h
            • Jan 2006

When I was picking out my first home theatre system it was the 600 Series 3 vs Energy vs Arron, at the time I to get a complete 5.1 package I went for the local Aaron speakers and have regretted it ever since.

The old 600 series was fantastic, and the new can only be better. If you cannot afford it now, buy what you can and then get the rest later. Do it in stages.

I found the energy speakers not upto the same level as the 600 series.

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"