Modifying Commercial Center to Match My Mains.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nathan P
    • Mar 2006

Modifying Commercial Center to Match My Mains.

I'm rounding out my first 5.1 setup (I know, I'm 2 channels behind the curve... but hey, I don't really have room right now for that many speakers anyways) and I'm getting kind of excited.

These are my mains:
    Well, with Kevin's (KJP) help I'm building/designing my first speakers. These are the DA175's I was given like last year by a member on here (Sorry I forget who it was :oops: but thanks!) and Kevin has graciously provided some Dayton DC28 silkies for the tweets. The tweets are modded as here: http://www.partsexpress

I've been extremely happy with the results of that project. For the driver cost I feel they turned out amazingly well. Thanks to KJP for the crossover design.

My surrounds are going to be single driver 3"ers running these: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=264-844

the enclosure is .237 cu ft. tuned to 70hz, gives a pretty even response. I'm going to run them without a filter first, I may redo the baffle and add a cheap tweet for the high end if I don't think they have enough presence as a surround speaker. I know matching all the drivers is the best bet, but I got the enclosures for these for $5+shipping, I couldn't resist

Now, I don't have the cash right now to build another main or a center variant, but I did score one of these:

on ebay for $40, with the thought to replace the drivers/crossovers at some point to tone match them with my mains. The thing is, my mains are the DA175's, and this enclosure would hold the DA135's max. How close a tonal match can I get? The drivers are from the same lineup, but are a different size. Is this a big concern?

Click image for larger version

Name:	DV52CLR.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	6.0 KB
ID:	948075

Alternatively I could just use this for the meantime and build a matching center with the DA175's at some point. I could get the same Dayton tweet and modify it to match the ones in my mains also.

I had the thought to build a set of Zaph's bargain MTM's and a matching center and move my current mains to the rear but that's more money that I'll have for quite some time. Also I don't know how well my apartment would do with bookshelves of that magnitude in the middle of the room. I do want to go towers in the front at some point, I like the look better than stands :twisted:

Anyways, just looking for input. I sold some car parts for $90 and wanted to finish my 3" project, and I had $50 left over so the center was kind of an impulse buy. It's better than the one I have now!

Thanks,
    Nathan
    Last edited by theSven; 13 August 2023, 21:45 Sunday. Reason: Update urls and image location
Working...
Searching...Please wait.
An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
There are no results that meet this criteria.
Search Result for "|||"