X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • scobro
    • Mar 2005

Is 1080p worth the wait.

........ :E Im dying here,I cannot decide to either wait for the 2005 Samsung DLP models available around Sept,Oct(Canada) or buy a 2004 model now.
    The problem is the new sets have a possible future HD resolution standard 1920x1080p not to mention BD + HD-dvd will be 1080p. The new Samsung sets will not accept a 1080p signal but will de-interlace 1080i directly to 1080p which will no doubt look stunning plus they will have the new XHD3 chip along with a contrast ratio they claim will be at 6000:1.So, do I wait in agony for 6 months or do I get a quick fix thats only 1280x720p,3000:1 and the HD2+ chip.....any advice would be a great help.
  • Radec
    • Jan 2005

Tough Call.
    Keep in mind that even if you wait and get a display that can show 1080p, it will not be a guarantee that you will have a 1080p signal that you can actually feed into it. That might take a year or 2 more. How often do you buy/trade TV's? If you are a guy who will keep a set for many many years, It might be worth waiting. If you are like me, knowing that when the time comes when 1080p material is readily available I'll be aching to buy something else anyways, why wait?l 8)

Good luck.

Comment

• aud19
      Twin Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2003

You can always wait for the next great thing but then you'll never be able to enjoy things that are currently available. If you're in the market now buy something good and enjoy it
      Jason

Comment

• Brandon B
        Super Senior Member
        • Jun 2001

How big you lookin' at? Over 52", I'd say wait. At or under, I'd settle for 720.

BB

Comment

• Neal_C
          • Feb 2003

I would say get something now and enjoy it. There isn't any 1080p content available now and who knows when it will actually be available. Plus, you are going to pay a nice price premium for a 1080p set when they first come out.

Comment

• Mr. Mxyztplk
            • Sep 2004

In my opinion no. You are talking 2-3 years before 1080p display AND 1080p content. Think of HT equipment like computer equipment. Stay about 12-18 months behind state of the art and enjoy. You will save time, money, and frustration.

Think of all of us HDTV owners still limited to 5-6 national HD channels and local HD channel issues. And that's only 720p/1080i, uncompressed if we are lucky!

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2001

If I had waited until dvd came out before going into front projection, I would have missed many hours of enjoyment. Life is short. Enjoy the good things now.
              My Homepage!

Comment

• Uncle Clive
                Former Moderator
                • Jan 2002

Originally posted by Neal_C
                I would say get something now and enjoy it. There isn't any 1080p content available now and who knows when it will actually be available.
                EXPECIALLY IN CANADA :evil:
                CLIVE

HEY!! Why buy movie tickets when you can own a Theater?

Comment

• JonMarsh
                  Mad Max Moderator
                  • Aug 2000

Originally posted by scobro
                  ........ :E Im dying here,I cannot decide to either wait for the 2005 Samsung DLP models available around Sept,Oct(Canada) or buy a 2004 model now.
                  The problem is the new sets have a possible future HD resolution standard 1920x1080p not to mention BD + HD-dvd will be 1080p. The new Samsung sets will not accept a 1080p signal but will de-interlace 1080i directly to 1080p which will no doubt look stunning plus they will have the new XHD3 chip along with a contrast ratio they claim will be at 6000:1.So, do I wait in agony for 6 months or do I get a quick fix thats only 1280x720p,3000:1 and the HD2+ chip.....any advice would be a great help.
                  Understand, you're comparing conventional 720P single panel to the XHD3, which is the "wobulated" 1080 chip, which by some might not be considered to be a true 1920X1080P chip. It is akin in some regards to interlacing, but in both vertical and horizontal resolution. It remains to be seen what artifacts, if any, are introduced by this process, in additional to the temporal dithering and rainbows which standard chips like the HD2+ can be subject to. I note that the XHD3 is supposed to be primarily an RPTV product; can it be that it doesn't scale well to FPTV screen sizes, as regards visibility of artifacts? I'm more a FPTV fan than RPTV, only owned one of the latter, but several of the former. I think 720P DLP is well suited to RPTV displays, but scaled to FPTV at the screen sizes and viewing distance I like, the pixel structure is too evident for my visual acuity (20/15 with glasses). There are still hints of true 1080P LCOS RPTV's in the not too distant future; were I in your shoes, and in something of a dither about the possibility of 1080P in RPTV, that's what I'd be holding out for.

~Jon
                  the AudioWorx
                  Natalie P
                  M8ta
                  Modula Neo DCC
                  Modula MT XE
                  Modula Xtreme
                  Isiris
                  Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                  Minerva Monitor
                  Calliope
                  Ardent D

In Development...
                  Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                  Obi-Wan
                  Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                  Modula PWB
                  Calliope CC Supreme
                  Natalie P Ultra
                  Natalie P Supreme
                  Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                  Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Brandon B
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Jun 2001

Sony's Qualia RPTV is a 1080p SxRD (LCOS) available today, although it does not take 1080p as a native input. JVC HDILA 1080P sets will be in stores within a calendar year. These also will likely not have 1080p as an input format choice either.

But this all ignores something. Blu-Ray Disk or HDDVD will both have 1080 versions of films. When you properly deinterlace film based video, it is the same thing as progressive video, there is no interpolation taking place, it is true 1080p24 Hz video. Now if you then display it at 50 or 60 Hz, that is another discussion. But by this standard, there is true 1080p content available right now. It is D-VHS of anything film based.

The Sony, and very likely the JVC's, will have no issue performing the very basic deinterlacing necessary for these disks (3:2 pulldown), so you will be watching true 1080p content every time you watch a hidef disk movie (most likely Blu-Ray, by my reading of the industry news).

BB

Comment

• scobro
                      • Mar 2005

[QUOTE=JonMarsh]Understand, you're comparing conventional 720P single panel to the XHD3, which is the "wobulated" 1080 chip,

What exactly does "wobulated 1080 chip" mean?

Comment

• Lex
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Apr 2001

Is that not a 1080 chip that has been innoculated against the deadly wobu computer virus? :W :rofl:
                        Doug
                        "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• aud19
                          Twin Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2003

[QUOTE=scobro]
                          Originally posted by JonMarsh
                          Understand, you're comparing conventional 720P single panel to the XHD3, which is the "wobulated" 1080 chip,

What exactly does "wobulated 1080 chip" mean?
                          The chip doesn't have the full 1080x1920 array of mirrors. I can't remember excatly but I believe the mirrors have increased rotation and move fast enough so that at one angle they act as pixel "1" on/off and another angle pixel "2" on/off. Hence "wobulated" :lol:

Some one can correct me/add to my comments....
                          Jason

Comment

• Brandon B
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Jun 2001

The chip is 960 x1080, and each mirror has two "on" positions, with one set of pixels offset diagonally from the other and overlapping. The two frames therefore blend a bit and reduce the apparent screen door, since your eye averages the 2 images over time. TI's DLP literature doesn't actually use the term wobulate as HP trademarked that, but the effect is the same. Each mirror doing 2 pixels.

BB

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"