X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tf1216
    • Apr 2006

Samsung LCD inquiries

I have been looking at Samsung rptv's and I can not figure out the difference between all of their 1080p models. Is there a simple answer to my confusion.

Also, why are their LCDs way more expensive than their highly touted dlp screen?

Lastly, why the heck does Best Buy have a Magnolia section to their HT department? Are the Samsung LCDs in their much different than the ones on the floor?

I apologize right now if I am being slow in my research. I have tried looking at Samsung's website but there are way too much LCD models to navigate through to find my answer.
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

Try their "TV Advisor" to help narrow down and compare the models

As for the price difference between flat panels and DLP RPTV's, that's a general rule with every manufacturer. RPTV's are less expensive to produce than direct view flat screen sets, hence they cost more.
    Jason

Comment

• tf1216
      • Apr 2006

Thank you aud19. You gave me the exact information I wanted.

I have another question if you don't mind.

I had myself sold on the JVC 61" HD-ILA screen and I couldn't figure out why others weren't hopping all over it like I was. Now I am thinking I want the Samsung 61" HL-S6187W. It is less than $200 more. Which screen would you choose?

I have done my research and I know the pros of both screens. I know about the iris feature on the JVC and I know how the Samsung is capable of almost perfect color ratios.

Also, do you have any idea when the new screens might come out so I can find myself a deal?

Comment

• aud19
        Twin Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2003

New TV models "usually" come out late summer/early fall so summer's usually a pretty good time to buy (not to mention sales are likely a bit slower with people doing activities other than watching TV).

As for the particular sets...what room is the set going in? Dark basement room with good light control or a bright living room full of windows? Also what time of day will you do most of your viewing? The Samsung's likely a better option for the bright room and the JVC for the dark room but both are excellent sets so you can't really go to wrong here (FYI the Samsung does have an iris as well, just a bit trickier to get on)

Have you read Home Theater Mag's The 2007 1080p RPTV Face Off ?
        Jason

Comment

• tf1216
          • Apr 2006

Yes sir, I have read that face off before. I almost positive I read another article where the JVC came out ahead of the Samsung. I think it was last year. Thank you for the link, I have been meaning to find it again.

I will keep my eyes open at the stores to see if the sales get better. My goal was to find one of these models for $2000. Do stores send out their open box items?

Last question, in your experience, would an ISF technician be able to show the user how to adjust the brightness of a screen depending on user preference?

By doing this, do you sacrafice the intentions of the calibration?
          Last edited by tf1216; 07 May 2007, 22:39 Monday.

Comment

• peterS
            Super Senior Member
            • Dec 2005

^brightness settings wont matter

best buy has a magnolia section so they can sell higher end (higher margin) products that are generally sold only by commissioned stores

where you benefit is having salesmen who know what they are talking about and 2-3 year manufacture warranties (being best buy they will still push that warranty though)
            generally the sets offer slight benifit to ony a slight change in styling

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"