X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Simplton
    • Oct 2004

57S500 and Denon 2910 or 3910

Hello All,
    I'm in the market for a new dvd player and I'm wanting a newer player that has either DVI or HDMI for connectivity to my Hitachi 57S500. (I'm leaning towards a Denon 2910 or 3910) My question is whether or not I'll see a large improvement in PQ going with DVI or HDMI over component. Any input is appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
    Simp
    Marantz av7005 Proc.
    Oppo BDP-83
    Rotel RB-991 (mains)
    Parasound HCA750 Bridged, Mono (center)
    Rotel RMB-1075 (ss, rs)
    f, B&W DM604S3
    c, B&W LCR600S3
    ss, B&W DM302
    rs,Polk M3II
    HSU VTF-3 MK3
    APC H-15 (power conditioner)
    Display: Panny PT-AE4000 Proj. + 92" DIY Screen
  • BlazeMaster
    • May 2004

The Hitachis you mentioned is a CRT based RPTV, right? If it's CRT then it's an analog display. The theory of improving PQ with DVI and HDMI(digital to digital) connections is that you take away some of the Digital to Analog conversions along the path, from source to display. The PQ of CRT are still argubly the best on the market, but it's still analog. By adding a digital connections, you're using your analog display to do more of the Digital to analog conversion than necessary. You can use the DVI input on your CRT if you want, for a peace of mind, but I strongly doubt you'll see a difference. I'll bet you actually will get a better PQ with component than DVI/HDMI.

And as for your question with which DVD player to get, DVI or HDMI will be a plus since they're the next video input connections. But unless, you're planning on upgrading your display soon, you migh as well just save some $$ and get the previous generations of Denon players, like the DVD 2200 and 2900. They're still highly regarded, even though they're about to be discontinued. The difference between the 2200 and 2900, if I remember correctly is better designed chasis to separate the video and audio section of the player and a better DAC for the audio.

With the video technology improving from year to year, I wouldn't worry too much about getting the newest non HD dvd player, save a few bucks for either the 2200 or 2900, if you like Denon. HD DVD players will be out less than a year with possible 1080p resolutions and uncompressed audio, it makes no sense to spend more on current DVD players that you're going to want to upgrade within 2 years anyways. As HD dvd players hit the consumer market and SD forced to become obsolete by FCC, who knows you might want to upgrade your display also to a true HD (1920x1080p). Save your money today for the true video and audio enjoyment 2 years later. Trust me, there's always going to be more that you'll want to have. Why spend so much on something that's so close to being "out-dated"?

Comment

• mtodde
      • Jan 2005

I just got a Denon 2900 and it works great with my 51S500. The picture quality is stunning. LeeS came by yesterday to check it out and he was amazed at the PQ with the Superbit version of The Fifth Element.

It is also a very good Redbook CD, DVD-A & SACD player. A huge improvement in everyway from the H/K DVD101 & Pioneer 563A that it replaced. As mentioned above unless you plan to upgrade your TV I'd save some money. My brief experience with an upconverting player led to me putting it back in eBay within a month; the line scaling in the Hitachi Ultravision is much better than most DVD players.

I don't think you'll be disappointed with the audio and video performance of the 2900.

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"