X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jim-surround
    • Feb 2005

Ground Loop

I need some advice for a cheap ground loop isolator/filter. Seems I'm getting some hum from my DVD player. Everything is plugged into 1 circuit and in phase so that's not it. Probably got a plug(s) wired backwards somewhere in the house. I'm not really inclined to go through all the wiring to find it if I don't have to.

Any help would be appreciated.
    We're all Bozo's on this bus.
  • jazznsoccer
    • Apr 2004

The first thing I would try is to hook a ground wire (can be very thin) from the DVD chassis (say a metal screw on the back panel) to the grounding lug or metal screw on the back panel of your pre/pro or receiver.

You can try p/n 75-504 from Calrad. Maybe Lex at Cat Cables can give a better suggestion.

Best bet is to find and fix the root cause though.

Comment

• David Meek
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Jim first off, do not go with a two-prong cheater plug. That's just asking for major trouble. Now as far as cheap - what's your budget? Mondial makes the MAGIC Box ground isolator which goes for about $90-100 US. It'd be my choice other than finding the root cause of the ground loop and correcting it (probably your cable company didn't wire to the house ground - they're notorious).

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Jim-surround
        • Feb 2005

Thanks. I'll let you know how I got rid of the hum.

I wish I could be a little less discriminating about the sound of my system so I wouldn't keep driving myself nuts with things like this.

Comment

• Jim-surround
          • Feb 2005

I bit the bullet and got a Moster HTS1000 MKII. The hum is gone and, since everything is grounded properly, no one gets fried.

Thanks for the input.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"