X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dave shepard
    • Feb 2005

compairing pre-pro's

I am looking at getting a pre-pro and have looked at Rotel, Para and Anthem. I have desided to drop Parasound and am looking at the other two and am looking for someone who has compaired the two (Rotel 1098, Anthem 30) and what they thought were the pro's and cons. I have a Denon 3803 and a Sherbourn 7/2100A amp with Polk Audio speakers (7 channel set-up) and a SVS PB2+ sub. What might I expect to see in SQ between my existing set-up and these pre-pro's. I use it for 80% HT and 20% stereo but am finding that stereo is getting more enjoyable and that ratio could and probly will change the more I listen to 2 channel.

Thanks
    Dave
  • Adz
    • Jan 2004

Rather than posting in the Rotel forum, you should ask to have this moved to the Home Theater section. This is a close knit forum and many if not all of the Rotel officianados read the posts in the HT forum section so you will still get their input as well as members that do not follow the Rotel threads. .
    Adz

Comment

• Kevin P
      • Aug 2000

Ok, moved to Home Theater...

Carry on folks...

Comment

• Chuck G
        • Feb 2003

Dave, I have no experience with either preamp (use an Aragon Soundstage) but you can overwhelming posts on those preamps at hometheaterforum.com. Just tons of posts.
        Chuck

Comment

• Neal_C
          • Feb 2003

I haven't heard the 3803 as a pre-amp, but I have heard the 3805, and my Rotel 1055 sounds much better than the 3805. So I would only have to assume that the 1098 would be even better, as I'm sure the Anthem would be as well.

Either way, I am sure you will definitely be more than satisfied with the sound improvement.

Neal

Comment

• markusp
            • Jul 2004

I don't think you can go wrong with either the Rotel or the Anthem. It will probably come down to what features you want more as they both sound amazing. Both should be quite a step up from the Denon.

Comment

• sikoniko
              Super Senior Member
              • Aug 2003

Can I throw another one into the forray? Have you looked into the sherwood newcastle p-965? This pre/pro is often said to be as good as or better than the AVM-30 by anthem at a fraction of the cost. (list at $1500). It uses high quality DACS and all the right parts to blow the 1098 out of the water at half the list cost. I ordered mine yesterday. I have a friend who said he did a blind A/B it with it against an Arcam AV8 and a Bryston 1.7 and couldnt really tell which one it was it was so good.

Here is the website for you to check out:
              I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• Legairre
                • Jan 2002

I second the P-965. I sold my RSP-1066 for one and the thing is sounds absolutely incredible for music and movies. My Rotel dealer let me take a RSP-1098 home to compare the two bewcause he said there's no way the P-965 could sound better. Hand down the P-965 was a better sounding pre amp than the 1098. Now before all the Rotel lovers start screaming at me let me say that I'm a long time Rotel fanboy who has an RMB-1095 and RB-1050 amps and that the 1095 is the only peice of gear I own that I 'll NEVER sell. I love rotel gear, but this time another product won at half the price.
                "What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"
                Radden Home Theater

Comment

• vaa
                  • Aug 2004

Not to hi-jack the thread but, How would the p-965 compare to the RSP-1068? I'm considering getting the RSP-1068 but can get a new P-965 for about $900. They are closer in price than the RSP-1095(I don't need the screen). I'll have to look closer but doesn't the Rotel have more features? Lip sync correction, individual settings for each input and some others? The remote that comes with the Sherwood is nice although I've never seen, used a Rotel. I'd give up a very small amout of SQ for better features. The equipment sounds really good at this level. It's not like you are running a $200 rcvr anymore.

sikoniko: What is your setup? Speakers/amps ect..

BTW I was looking at Lexicon MC-8, Krell Showcase, Parasound Halo C2 & the new 7100. The Rotel seemed to have a lot of features that I wanted and a price that is great. I was looking at the Sherwood P-965 when I started to look at Pre/pro's but it was/is big and I think I fell into the "it's too cheap to be that good" trap. I'm not opposed to spending the $$ on good stuff but I'm also not about to waste it either.

Hey Dave: How do you like your svs sub? Anything new on deciding on the pre/pro?

Thanks
                  Victor

Comment

• Legairre
                    • Jan 2002

Here's alink to the Sherwood site. You can down load the manual and stuff there.
                    Radden Home Theater

Comment

• dave shepard
                      • Feb 2005

Hey Dave: How do you like your svs sub? Anything new on deciding on the pre/pro?

Thanks
                      Victor[/QUOTE]

Victor,
                      I am still reviewing the differant Pre-pros to make the best possible purchase I can even if it requires saving alittle more to get it not $1000's more but a couple hundred.
                      As for the SVS it was the single best investment I made to my theater. I had no idea until I got it how much LFE info I was missing during movies, it makes watching movies a whole lot more enjoyable, no need for buying butt-kickers if you have one of these it will waffle your shorts. I live in a 2 story house and the livingroom (where I have the set-up) is 19x25x9 and it literly shakes everything everywhere (no Joke) during the action parts of a movie, knick-knacks are relocated to the floor, windows and doors rattle, the protective screen to my RPTV shakes you name it it does it, during a real deep LFE and it isn't even beginning to sweat. For 2-channel it blends in very nicely with all types of music. I listen to just about all kinds and like what I hear, properly placed and calibrated you will swear the speakers are doing it all. It is a real beast I highly recommend to anyone thinking if getting one go for it they are that good.

Dave

Comment

• dave shepard
                        • Feb 2005

My wife and I went to do an audition and now I have the Arcam FMJ-AV8 placed in the mix. The salesman wasn't very helpfull short of asking if I brought any demo discs and when I said no he put a music disc in and went on his way. I did ask him if it was upgradeable through hardware or software like the Anthem and he said he wasn't sure (" :T " now that's how you sell something :roll: ) we stood there for 3 songs and he never came back but did give me some brochures, as we were leaving, on other products but didn't have any for the Arcam. They were hooked up to Snell speakers which I wasn't real fond of and the music wasn't good either so I guess I will have to take the 1.5hr drive again with my demo discs and talk with someone else. I should then have a better idea as to what stays in and what gets taken out. I will also be looking into the Anthem Statement D1 to keep the playing field level and will be auditioning them this weekend it will involve 1.5hr in one direction from my house and 1.5hr in the other direction so I will be putting the miles on this comming weekend.
                        The Anthem has more connections then the Arcam but I'm not sure how revalant that really is for a one room set-up. The other is the Anthem has a tuner built in and the Arcam dosen't also no Bass management for Multi-channel. The Anthem has some nice features for room set-up but maybe when I talk to someone with more knowledge I will have a better idea of the pros/cons.

Dave

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
                          • Jan 2002

Originally posted by Neal_C
                          I haven't heard the 3803 as a pre-amp, but I have heard the 3805, and my Rotel 1055 sounds much better than the 3805. So I would only have to assume that the 1098 would be even better, as I'm sure the Anthem would be as well.

Either way, I am sure you will definitely be more than satisfied with the sound improvement.

Neal

My 3805 sounds as good or better than my Rotel RSP-1066 (easy on me Rotel lovers)... as a fact... my 3805 sounds as good or better than my 1066/Sunfire Cinema Grand combo. The 3805 is loaded with useful features as well. Great receiver!... and I've never owned a receiver before.

That's 99% HT... hardly ever listen to just music anymore except in the car.

Maybe my ears are going on me. :huh:

Never heard the Anthem or 1098 so can't comment.

Comment

• Legairre
                            • Jan 2002

Originally posted by vaa
                            Not to hi-jack the thread but, How would the p-965 compare to the RSP-1068? I'm considering getting the RSP-1068 but can get a new P-965 for about $900. They are closer in price than the RSP-1095(I don't need the screen).
                            You may want to take a look at this shoot out between the 1068 and the Sherwood P-965.

The P-965 has been compared to the Anthem AVM20 and AVM30 buy several people over at avsforums.
                            Radden Home Theater

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"