X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • audiofreak7
    • Feb 2005

Which Amp? ANTHEM!!! Hands down

Hi fellaz,
    I see a LOT of people on this forum discussing amplifiers, And I must ask.........does anyone know what Signal to Noise ratio is? Cuz it doesn't seem like anyone does. And before I go on, this is NOT a matter of opinion....it is proven fact. S/N ratio is the strength of the desired signal labeled in "db" opposed to hiss, hum, white noise, etc. Granted I am really speaking to those of you who have separates, but when you turn your system half way up, with no CD in, do you here anything?....because you shouldn't. I know of only 2 manufacturers who make inaudible Amps that are within most peoples price range. Rotel & Anthem. Rotel rates their amps at 116db while Anthem is 120db. Now, that being said, why would someone buy an amp rated at say S/N ratio of 95db when for the exact same power output and price they could buy an Amp that sounds much much clearer. People......besides wattage, the S/N ratio is the second biggest factor you should consider when purchasing an amp. If you don't believe me, go to your local store and audition an Anthem amp against any other. Theres no contest. Don't get me wrong..Rotel is also ALMOST impossible to hear but Anthem is DEAD SILENT.
  • Lefteris
    • Feb 2005

Totally agree with you audiofreak7.

Cheers!
    Miles Smiles

Comment

• TimRawson
      • Oct 2004

I don't always trust what is put down on paper.

FInd that synergy between prepro and amp, as well as speakers, is what does it for me. I also believe more power provides greater potential to control speaker. I use bryston amps not really caring what certain specs are. I had one particular amp that said to have damping factor of 1000 but did not sound good in my system.

Comment

• whoaru99
        • Jul 2004

Hummm... My old Yamaha has s/n ratio of 127 db, does that mean it is a much better amp than either the Rotel or Anthem?

I'm not an expert in this area, but the amp is only one component in the audio trail. It probably does not matter too much if the amp s/n ratio is 120 or what ever, if the preamp/processor, cd player, etc. has worse s/n ratio. The proverbial "chain is only as strong as it's weakest link" comes into the big picture.
        There are some things which are impossible to know, but it is impossible to know which things these are. :scratchhead:

----JAFFE'S PRECEPT

Comment

• NMyTree
          • May 2004

Originally posted by whoaru99
          I'm not an expert in this area, but the amp is only one component in the audio trail. It probably does not matter too much if the amp s/n ratio is 120 or what ever, if the preamp/processor, cd player, etc. has worse s/n ratio. The proverbial "chain is only as strong as it's weakest link" comes into the big picture.

I was thinking the same thing. I know I am NOT an expert or technically knowledgable, but it seems to me the S/N ratio is not too relevent.

The Halo A21 is listed at 112, the JC1 at 120 (high biased) ...122 (Low Biased).

It's also interesting that manufactors like Ayre, Theta and Odyssey don't even bother listing a S/N ratio. These three all make great Amps.
          Tony

Comment

• audiofreak7
            • Feb 2005

whoaru99

whoaru99,
            Your Yamaha might be rated at 127db but then again, Yamaha makes everything from pianos to guitars to motorcycles. I would hardly call that a tested and proven 127. :W

Comment

• Frustrated
              • Jan 2005

Originally posted by NMyTree
              I was thinking the same thing. I know I am NOT an expert or technically knowledgable, but it seems to me the S/N ratio is not too relevent.

The Halo A21 is listed at 112, the JC1 at 120 (high biased) ...122 (Low Biased).

It's also interesting that manufactors like Ayre, Theta and Odyssey don't even bother listing a S/N ratio. These three all make great Amps.
              You're absolutely right, it is not too relevant. I used to test the input boards on the Classe amps. The noise test was performed by using a 4 ohm speaker next to my ear for the purpose of decting popping or crackling noises from 0 to a 100 db. I usually heard something ( very slight noise ) at a very high volume. Try this test put your amp at 86 db (signal in= signal out) on it's own ( no music), if you hear slight distortion/noise your amps is ok. If you hear something that sounds like feedback or popping sounds like crushing bubble wrap. Your amps needs to be repaired

Comment

• whoaru99
                • Jul 2004

audiofreak 7-

Yeah, I'm sure they just made up the number along with the IHF test method too.

Don't get me wrong, I was not trying to bash Anthem or Rotel. As a matter of fact, I own an Anthem AVM 20 and find it a very nice piece of gear.

My implied point was that some of the most highly respected audio components in the world do not have the best specifications. If you buy purely on specifications, well, that's your decision.
                There are some things which are impossible to know, but it is impossible to know which things these are. :scratchhead:

----JAFFE'S PRECEPT

Comment

• audiofreak7
                  • Feb 2005

Thats funny....cuz I WAS bashing Yamaha.

Comment

• BarcoII
                    • Feb 2005

Thanks for setting us straight on the " proven facts ". You can go the specs route I guess. But honestly your idea of turning it up 1/2 way with no signal input as a sign of quality is a joke. I have been playing this audio game for a long time and have learned to just trust my ears on what sounds good. Rotel and anthem make excellent gear but your so proudly bashing Yamaha is quite foolish
                    ( no I dont own any Yamaha gear ) I suppose Panny DVD players and TV's are crap because they make microwaves, telephones and shavers too. By the way a lot of amps that you consider out of most peoples range have poor S/N specs so I guess they are crap too. Good luck on your pursuit of the ultimate S/N ratio.

Comment

• audiofreak7
                      • Feb 2005

Thanks for setting me straight Barco. You da man!

Comment

• BarcoII
                        • Feb 2005

Have fun with the specs audiofreak. It's all that matters. Go for it. No reallly you ARE the man. :roll:

Comment

• Patt
                          • Feb 2005

Being just an average non technical electronics person, I would trade my stone quiet Denon stereo reciever in a military minute for seperates with terrible specs. :P
                          ......Pat

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"