X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jraducha
    • Aug 2004

What would you choose?

I was sitting here getting ready to watch a movie.... The movie gives me the choice of either hearing it in DTS or Dolby 5.1. I usually choose DTS when given the chance. I am using a Marantz 6400 dvd player and a rotel rsx 1067. I let the reciever do the sound processing. What would you pick and why? Thanks
  • DrJRapp
    Super Senior Member
    • Apr 2003

I always opt for the DTS when available. The dynamics and steering on most DTS soundtracts are superior to the DD IMHO.
    Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• Azeke
      Super Senior Member
      • Mar 2003

I prefer DTS as well, here is a URL which provides a brief synopsis:

DD vs. DTS

Regards,

Azeke

Comment

• basementjack
        • Dec 2004

Hey Azeke,

I enjoyed reading that page you posted the link for.

My comments, I am surprised and amazed at how good Dolby Digital sounds on my Rotel Stuff. I think Rotel has done a great job with thier DD implementation. While I'm sure DTS might sound better (and I too always elect DTS if the option exists) I can say I've been pretty happy listening to anything through this rotel gear.

- Jack

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Depends if I bother to look to see if there's a DTS track or not

Comment

• Fishy
            • Jul 2004

Depends if a THX is on the disc as well.

Fish

Comment

• Foxman
              • Jan 2003

I generally will choose DTS.
              IMO

My Movies
              Bad Pics of my system

Comment

• jimmyp58
                Super Senior Member
                • Aug 2003

Dts.....
                jpiscitello@ameritech.net

Comment

• Kevin P
                  • Aug 2000

Another vote for DTS...

Comment

• kmak
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Dec 2002

I have an old Rotel Receiver RSX-965. It was one of the 1st units with DTS, it even has a 5.1 analog input. One problem is bass management in DTS only. If there's a soundtrack that has uber-bass I choose DD, but if it has a lot of rear channel action I opt for DTS. I know the unit has some shortcomings, but if I had a machine with better BM, I would always pick DTS.

Comment

• Shane Martin
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Apr 2001

shouldn't matter.

Comment

• mtodde
                        • Jan 2005

I strongly prefer DTS and will even special order a DVD to get DTS.

Comment

• David Meek
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2000

Dts.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Gordon Moore
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Feb 2002

shouldn't matter.
                            What Shane is trying to say is that THX is a specification more than an enocoded format. THX capable recievers do have the ability to apply post-processing to the encoded format of choice (DD or DTS), timbre-balance, Re-Eq, decorrelation etc... to balance the sound for the near field experience of the home environment (also, hometheaters rarely have wall treatments and the like and few have perf'd screens with speakers behind them so THX processors will take that into consideration (knock off some of the brightness of the soundtrack). Some poeple like the effect, some don't (feel that it just dulls the sound) it's a hit and miss type thing.

The specification part of THX is the attempt to ensure that the component will meet an approved standard bench spec in the lab.

A disc with THX only has to do with the "meeting specification part". There's no special process included to the surround track...your audio/video equipment takes care of any THX processing.

Me personally. I think, when calibrated DD is "just as good" and my nod usually goes to that track since I appreciate a really efficient algorithm that can keep up with the bloat of DTS. DTS isn't full bit-rate on DVD anyway...so I generally prefer a disc with DD5.1EX and as much bandwidth to video as possible (since video takes a bigger penalty than the soundtrack). The exception is Superbits, since they're feature light to start with, it's nice to have choice.

If DTS was full bitrate I'd be more ga-ga over it (go HD-DVD/Blue)ray, but when calibrated it's really hard to tell the difference.(DTS tend to be mixed hotter by a few to several dB. Our perception when things are louder is that it is better and more dynamic...human nature...it's an old sales trick to blast a track at the store and you go wow! that's loud, it blinds you from listening to clarity, definition or even warmth)

IMO
                            Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

Comment

• purplepeople
                              • Aug 2004

AFAIK, if a particular disc is THX, then it will only contain an AC3 soundtrack.

ensen.
                              Those who claim to be making history are often the same ones repeating it...

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
                                • Jan 2002

Good summary/synopsis/evaluation (whatever you call it) Gordo!

I typically listen to DD myself... just because it usually defaults to it when I start the DVD. I have watched some DVD's a second time around that offered DTS just to hear the difference but couldn't really say that I noticed any difference, although there may have been some.

Comment

Working...
                                Searching...Please wait.
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                Search Result for "|||"