X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mez
    • Jan 2005

Denon 3805

Im a newbie, so forgive any ignorance.

I'm a casual TV watcher that decided to buy a Denon 3805 w some Polk speaker (Rt16? series). I have to be honest that after deciding on the TV I didn't do a lot of research on the receiver.

So the sound is ok, but doesn't seem great. I don't know if I"m using the reciever properly. Can someone tell me why I shouldn't get a composite system and save soem $$ ?? Are the Bose systems any good?

Is there something that I could be missing that would make the sound much much better? NOTE - I don't have the surround sound speakers, so I have a 3.1 system right now.

Any advice is appreciated as I'm having a little trouble justifying my purchase to myself.

thanks!
  • jimmyp58
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2003

What do you have connected to this? I see you are using Polk speakers --- these should sound nice with that receiver. Room size? Have you read the manual and go through all the setup processes? How do you have your speakers setup?

Lots of questions. Please provide more details to help us on this.

Bottom-line, you have a very nice receiver and while I am not intimately knowledgeable about your speakers, I know some Polks do sound nice.

Jim
    jpiscitello@ameritech.net

Comment

• David Meek
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Hi Mike. The 3805 is a good receiver - especially for it's price point - so don't second guess yourself on it. You did well. Denon's generally are considered to have a nicely detailed, slightly warm sonic signature. I'm not too familiar with the Polks so I can't help much there other than to say that there are a goodly number of Polk owners out there.

Oh, well now I can say that they are definitely a step up from any Bose product. Most any knowledgable member of this forum could take the money you'd spend on a Bose system, get you a better sounding one and still save some coin. What Bose has is marketing - in spades.

Now, on the sound, are you talking the quality of the sound being the issue? By that I mean are you not satisfied with the base, mid-range, highs, etc? Or, is it just "odd" sounding as you don't have the surrounds engaged yet? Or, something else? Don't worry 'bout asking lots of questions or having to re-state them okay? There's absolutely nothing to forgive! We all started out in the same place with this hobby/passion/business/obsession of ours. We'll get you going.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2001

I've owned the Denon 3801 for some time now. It's an early sister of the 3805 and is an excellent home theater receiver. But like anything else, there are things to be done in set up. You really have to go through the manual with a fine tooth comb.
        My Homepage!

Comment

• shokhead
          • Jan 2005

Originally posted by mez
          Im a newbie, so forgive any ignorance.

I'm a casual TV watcher that decided to buy a Denon 3805 w some Polk speaker (Rt16? series). I have to be honest that after deciding on the TV I didn't do a lot of research on the receiver.

So the sound is ok, but doesn't seem great. I don't know if I"m using the reciever properly. Can someone tell me why I shouldn't get a composite system and save soem $$ ?? Are the Bose systems any good?

Is there something that I could be missing that would make the sound much much better? NOTE - I don't have the surround sound speakers, so I have a 3.1 system right now.

Any advice is appreciated as I'm having a little trouble justifying my purchase to myself.

thanks!
          A little late now to think you bought the wrong thing. I would have told you that the 2805 would be just as good for what it seems your doing but if you already have it,you should be set for awhile with a really nice Denon. Without surrounds,you'll not be getting the full effect. Need 4 good of the RT 16 and a center and a good sub. Doesnt have to be a Polk. Those are smaller smeakers so with a sub,set in the menu speakers to small so they dont work so hard and the bass goes to the sub. If it was me and i only had two,i'd use those for my surrounds and get so nice floor standing for fronts if you have the room. You will enjoy the 5ch stereo mode. If you get a DVD player,get a hybrid thats plays DVD-A and SACD as your 3805 will be great for that.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"