X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rhubarbe
    • Mar 2007

RB-1092 blow my Polks away?

MY HT setup is RSP-1068/RMB-1077, and I'm lovin' it (with apologies to Ronald, et al). :B

I have a pair of Polk lc265i inwalls in my kitchen/sunlounge area. They are rated to 200WRMS and are 4Ohm.

Now, I am thinking of a RB-1092 which I can get as an ex-demo for £900 (about $1800).

1 - Is this a good deal? :T

2 - Will the RB-1092 blow my Polks out through the walls and into the street? 8O

Thanks for any advice.
  • style
    Super Senior Member
    • Feb 2006

rhubarbe

@rhubarbe,

Hallo rhubarbe,

I have Rb1092 too. I really very, very good ampli. I love it. --> if do you make
    the combi with Rmb1077 (center+surround) + 1077 (mains) you will be very happy.
    Rb1092 (personaly) is more better from Rb1090
    I have Rmb1075(center, rear) and 1077 for front.
    The Pollk: I don't know what can so a speaker quit (sound&quanlity) I have for the front 803s (bi wire), htm7 center (bi ampli) and 703 rear.
    I find the sond from Rb1092 + 803s a dream.
    4ohm I think is not my best "position", Ok, do you have more power, the gear
    will be not warm (as if 8ohm) but is not so stable, more noise,.. better 8ohm

3x Rb1092 is a very good and TOP solution. (Rmb1077+Rb1092 TOO) :T

Greetings from Switzerland
    Omar

Comment

• rhubarbe
      • Mar 2007

Thanks Omar. I know where you are coming from. Sorry, that's idiomatic, isn't it?

I was once speaking (in English) to a German girl. I said, "Tell me about it." So she did.

Anybody advise me if my Polks are up to 1000W each? 8)

Comment

• hifiguymi
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by rhubarbe
        MY HT setup is RSP-1068/RMB-1077, and I'm lovin' it (with apologies to Ronald, et al). :B

I have a pair of Polk lc265i inwalls in my kitchen/sunlounge area. They are rated to 200WRMS and are 4Ohm.

Now, I am thinking of a RB-1092 which I can get as an ex-demo for £900 (about $1800).

1 - Is this a good deal? :T

2 - Will the RB-1092 blow my Polks out through the walls and into the street? 8O

Thanks for any advice.
        1 - For a demo with full warranty that is a pretty good deal.

2 - The RB-1092 will be fine on your inwalls. Just because you have a 500 watt per channel amp doesn't mean you use all of that power all of the time. Just use your ear and if the speaker sounds stressed, turn it down.

Eric
        Last edited by hifiguymi; 10 April 2007, 17:51 Tuesday.

Comment

• cfrizz
          • Apr 2006

What Eric said!
          Cathy
          ---------
          Sunfire TGP III, Sunfire Cinema Grande 405wpc 5 channel Amplifier, :B Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Onkyo TA2600 Tape Deck, Pioneer Elite 47-A DVD, Sony 32" XBR TV, Sony PS-454 Turntable, Polk RTA-8T Main Speakers, Boston 920 Center Channel, Boston PV600 Sub Woofer, Polk FXi-3 Surround Speakers

Comment

• rhubarbe
            • Mar 2007

Thanks Eric, and Cathy.

One thing that occured to me last night between dreams about speaker wiring was, could I run two stereo pairs of 4Ohm Polks off the 1092? There's plenty of power, I'd just need to wire them in parallel....

Does this make sense?

Comment

• hifiguymi
              Super Senior Member
              • Mar 2007

If you have two 4 Ohm speakers and you parallel them you end up with a 2 Ohm load. Rotel specifies a 4 Ohm minimum so I wouldn't do it. You could series them and get an 8 Ohm load however. There are speaker selectors that will even the load for the amplifier, but most of them are not rated for 500 watt amps. As long as you keep the volume under control it should work. Speaker selectors do decrease sound quality a little so keep that in mind.

Eric

Comment

• rhubarbe
                • Mar 2007

Of course, what am I thinking of. I am forgetting my school physics. Well, I forgot most of it long long ago.

I'll have a think about it. Two more Polks is another £450...

Comment

• Kevin D
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Oct 2002

The 1092 will handle a 2ohm load fine. Especially on two sets of in-walls. That said I do think it would sound better in series at 8ohms.

Kevin D.

Comment

• rhubarbe
                    • Mar 2007

Thanks guys.

I have another problem.

I was building this 2 channel room around a Sonos ZP80 as source (material several hundred DVDs ripped to flac). I have been told that I need to use analogue attenuation not the digital volume control on the Sonos. This means I need a preamp because I am going to be using the RB-1092 as power amp.

Now, the DAC in the Sonos is OK, but it's not grade A, so if I am having a preamp and a power I am going to need a better DAC, too. So, I tell the wife we get rid of the six box Kenwood hifi stack and replace it with just this tiny little Sonos, and now I am faced with a Sonos, a DAC and preamp and a power amp. Not good.

I am thinking that maybe I could use an RC-1070 with the RB-1092 and get a DAC from off eBay, but then I think to myself, hold on, why not use an RSP-1068? OK, I'd only need the front two channels but it has a fine DAC and it's a preamp so I get my analogue attenuation. Plus it's got the 12V trigger needed to control the RB-1092.

Now, I know that the RSP-1068 is way overkill for what I want, but I can get other for £450 (about $900) ex-dem.

Or can anybody else think of any other two box solution - I have already bought the 1092.

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"