X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pathfinder
    • Jan 2005

Second Try

Just spent 30 minutes describing my home theatre system is detail and hit the Preview Post button and it told me I was not logged in. Logged in and it blew my post off.

Trying to simplify without all the details, I cannot get my TV to utilize the Home Theater speaker system.

Have followed all instructions, re: red and white audio out from TV to IN on
    receiver as recommended by TV manufacturer and Sony with no results. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks so much!

Bob
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Bob what video sources do you have? DVD players, VCRs, Cable, Satellite etc? All of those would best be routed directly to the receiver and then run a video cable to the TV instead of going to the TV first. You will also need to select the approp. input on the receiver that corresponds to the input you plugged the audio cables in (Video 1, VCR etc)

Comment

• Pathfinder
      • Jan 2005

Thanks for the reply Andrew!

Have Bright House Cable which I ran from the wall to the Cable Box. Cable box to the DVD and then to the TV.

DVD-VCR combo. DVD has Digital Optical Out to Digital Optical in on Receiver.
      Orange Digital Coax from DVD to Digital In on Receiver.

S-Video out from DVD to S-Video in on TV.

Audio out from the TV to Audio in Line one on back of DVD-VCR Combo.

I have 2 audio locations on back of receiver which I have not utilized as the system works without using them except for the TV audio being transferred.

Those are marked VIDEO-AUDIO IN and DVD AUDIO IN.

I guess I am missing the boat somewhere. Appreciate any advise you may give as wife is looking at me crosseyed with hammer in hand! lol!

Regards,

Bob

Comment

• Ocelot
        • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Pathfinder
        Thanks for the reply Andrew!

Have Bright House Cable which I ran from the wall to the Cable Box. Cable box to the DVD and then to the TV.

DVD-VCR combo. DVD has Digital Optical Out to Digital Optical in on Receiver.
        Orange Digital Coax from DVD to Digital In on Receiver.

S-Video out from DVD to S-Video in on TV.

Audio out from the TV to Audio in Line one on back of DVD-VCR Combo.

I have 2 audio locations on back of receiver which I have not utilized as the system works without using them except for the TV audio being transferred.

Those are marked VIDEO-AUDIO IN and DVD AUDIO IN.

I guess I am missing the boat somewhere. Appreciate any advise you may give as wife is looking at me crosseyed with hammer in hand! lol!

Regards,

Bob
        I dont think you need to run the cable from the cable box to the DVD, just go straight to the TV.
        Also you only need to use Optical, or the Coax from the DVD to the reciever, not both, and make sure its ran to the input labled DVD on the reciever.
        Does your cable box have 2 audio outputs? If so I would run one of the Audio cables to the TV, and the other to the reciever.

Hope this helps.

Todd

Comment

• whoaru99
          • Jul 2004

Pathfinder,

I think you will get your results if you plug the TV audio out into the Receiver instead into the VCR. As the previous poster mentioned, if your cable box has audio outputs, you'd be better off to plug these into the TV jacks of the receiver.

The way it sounds, that should do it. But to confuse things, there may be more optimal ways to connect your gear together, but that would require knowing every jack available on all your gear.
          There are some things which are impossible to know, but it is impossible to know which things these are. :scratchhead:

----JAFFE'S PRECEPT

Comment

• Pathfinder
            • Jan 2005

Thanks Ocelot!

"I dont think you need to run the cable from the cable box to the DVD, just go straight to the TV."

Ran the cable straight from the cable box to the TV and my DVD does not transmit anything. Replaced it as the manual stated. I thought the S - stereo cord was transferring the signal. Obviously not

"Also you only need to use Optical, or the Coax from the DVD to the reciever, not both, and make sure its ran to the input labled DVD on the reciever."

Left the Coax and removed the optical. Coax runs into receiver , DVD - IN.

"Does your cable box have 2 audio outputs? If so I would run one of the Audio cables to the TV, and the other to the reciever"

Cable box has one outlet for the three cord, 2 audio (red & white),video (yellow), S VIDEO OUT, DIGITAL AUDIO OUT.

Thanks whoaru99!

"think you will get your results if you plug the TV audio out into the Receiver instead into the VCR. As the previous poster mentioned, if your cable box has audio outputs, you'd be better off to plug these into the TV jacks of the receiver."

The only audio in on my receiver. Those are marked VIDEO-AUDIO IN and DVD AUDIO IN.

MY receiver does not have a TV jack as you mention. Only the two audio in positions I note above..

Comment

• whoaru99
              • Jul 2004

Does the receiver have s-video or composite and another coax digital in association with the VIDEO inputs? You'd probably get a somewhat better to much better picture if you could use the s-video or even composite from the cable box to feed your tv through the receiver rather than having the tv connected directly to the cable tv coax.
              There are some things which are impossible to know, but it is impossible to know which things these are. :scratchhead:

----JAFFE'S PRECEPT

Comment

• purplepeople
                • Aug 2004

What model Sony is your receiver? Without the video connections, it sounds like it might be an all-in-one...

ensen.
                Those who claim to be making history are often the same ones repeating it...

Comment

• Pathfinder
                  • Jan 2005

ensen;

Sony HT-V1000DP - Receiver STR-K650P - Dolby Digital/dts/Dolby Pro Logic ll Decoding.

Hookups: Audio Imput-Output 2/1
                  Digital type - 1 Optical - 1 coaxial
                  Audio/ Video - Imput/Output 3/1 (Composite video type)
                  Moniter Output - Composite Video Type

DVD-VHS Combo SLV-D300P

Component Video Output and S-Video Output for DVD.

whoaru99;

I have listed the hookups above. There is a s-video and coax from the DVD running to the receiver.

Comment

• purplepeople
                    • Aug 2004

Looked it up on the web. Basically a number of Sony components packaged into a kit. Not so much HTIB, but "Home theatre in a few boxes." Good for the beginner that wants better than basic entry level.

If you can, run component video (triple cable) directly from DVD/VCR to the TV so that you are sure there are no extraneous circuits to mess up. It's generally considered to be a better signal is better than S-video.

Looks like you run digital coax from DVD/VCR to receiver. A good way to go since the receiver seems to decode 7.1 to speaker kit. That input is also probably the paralleled with an RCA pair for Audio In #1.

The issue is how to deal with VCR and cable TV. I've never looked on the back of a combo unit so I would guess that the VCR has it's own stereo audio outputs or that it shares this with the analog outputs of the DVD. That should go into Audio In #2.

Whether you use the TV or have a cable box, broadcast audio should go into Audio In #3 and use the on-screen menu to shut off the on-board TV speakers.

So now how to deal with the non-DVD video signals? Well, if the TV has multiple video inputs. DVD goes into the component which is often only for Video In #1. VCR outputs into Video In #2 and the broadcast video into Video In #3.

I'm guessing you only have two video inputs for the TV or you wouldn't have the broadcast video going through the VCR on the way to the TV. In that case, get a simple video switcher to switch the TV between VCR and broadcast video. Let's face it, you will not be using the VCR unless you are recording something, watching some old home video or something like that. With the switcher you can keep the VCR out of the loop unless you need it.

My philosophy has always been about providing your TV and speakers with the cleanest signals coming as direct as possible from the sources. It usually requires some remote control juggling, but the results are usually worth it.

Hope this helps.

ensen.
                    Those who claim to be making history are often the same ones repeating it...

Comment

• Pathfinder
                      • Jan 2005

Thanks for the response.

The unit proved defective and was replaced. All works well now

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"