X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • king_cray
    • Jan 2005

Yamaha RXV1500 vs Onkyo TX-SR701

hey there, i have the option of buying one of the two afformentioned recievers (Yamaha RXV1500 vs Onkyo TX-SR701) and was just wondering if anyone has any advice for me. i used to run a yamaha rxv 795a and was happy with the quality but haven't had that much to do with onkyo before.

any help would be much appreciated!!
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Hi Andrew, welcome to The Guide. :welcome:

I'm a Yamaha fan/owner (RX-V1, CDR-S1000), so take this with that in mind. I'd go with the RXV-1500. The amp stage is better than the 795 (which you already liked), plus you get the magic of YPAO to help overcome room-induced sonic issues. Onkyo's had a good rep at one time, but I've not followed them for a while.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• king_cray
      • Jan 2005

thanks dave

thanks for that dave.
      i am thinking of going with the yamaha, but was wondering if there were any opinons on the onkyo. i'm running average speakers at the moment (pure accoustics) which aren't all that bad for the price, (i use to run b&w 601 and 602's and can notice the difference) but have decided to go for the better amp before forking out for higher quality speakers. if anyone has any comments about onkyo that would be greatly appreciated!!

cheers!!!

Comment

• Mauro
        • Nov 2004

Yamaha

I just bought the Yamaha RxV1500 and like it alot.
        Like the person above has mentioned, Onkyo did have an excellent rep. in the past but alas no more.
        Buy the Yamaha with confidance.

Comment

• Kemp
          • Nov 2003

I also own a Yamaha (RX-V1300) and without being too biased i would also recommend the Yamaha above Onkyo.

Marius
          Marius

Comment

• king_cray
            • Jan 2005

thanks for you help!! i think i will go with the yamaha after talking to some people and seeing the posts here. :T

Comment

• javaxsound
              • Jan 2005

I'm also a current user of Yamaha RX-V 795a and planning to buy the RXV1500, I understand the Yamaha is using 8 ohms speaker, would that be ok if I used 6 ohms 150 watts for the RXV1500 and/or RXV795a? thanks

Comment

• David Meek
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

You'll be fine. There is an 8 ohm/6 ohm switch on the back of the receiver. Just set it to the 6 ohm position if you are using speakers rated at 6 or 4 ohms.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• javaxsound
                  • Jan 2005

Hi David,

Thanks for the reply, I have few questions to clarify. First, which is higher 6 or 8 ohms? The impedance selector at the back said in Rear and Center: The impedance of each speaker must be 6 or higher.
                  Main
                  : If you use one pair of main speakers, the impedance of each speaker must be 4 ohms or higher.

I'm am using 6 ohms 150 watts Wharfedale model 8.4 in Main and 6 ohms 150 watts Bose model 101MMG, if I switch the impedance selector in the above setting, is it allowed for my Wharfedale speaker which is 6 ohms?

I dont know which is the higher between 6 and 8 ohms?

Also the manual of Yamaha RX-V 795a mentioned that it's watts is 85 only, can my speaker power handle the yamaha or vice versa?

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"