X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bmackey55
    • Jan 2005

Denon 3805 Problem - I get center channel only with 2-channel signal

I just upgraded from a AVR-3802/DVD-1000 combo to AVR-3805/DVD-3910 and love the improved PQ. However, the Surround processing by the 3805 on 2-channel signals has me puzzled.

When any of the surround modes are selected (except 5-channel) I only get sound from the center channel. This was not the case on my 3802. The display indicates that the receiver is sending a signal to all 5 channels and I can hear very faint sound when I put my ear right against the speakers.

BTW: DD or DTS signals sound great. All 5 channels used properly. Test-tones are sent to all 5 channels at the same volume and 5-channel mode works fine.

Any ideas what could be causing this?
  • Aussie Geoff
    Super Senior Member
    • Oct 2003

Hi,

Sounds like a faulty unit to me... THere are also some pretty active 3805 threads in This forum that may be able to help. A quick scan (by me) showed no one else seemed to have a similar problem so I would be 99% likely that you unit is faulty..

Geoff

Comment

• jimmyp58
      Super Senior Member
      • Aug 2003

Have you checked your setup on the 3910 to see if this may be the culprit?

Jim
      jpiscitello@ameritech.net

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
        Super Senior Member
        • Oct 2003

Jim,

Good point. Just to amplify - If the 2 channel analog source is set to MONO then there will be idientical LEFT and RIGHT channels, which will process into 5 channel sound with aonly the centre speaker active...

Geoff

Comment

• bmackey55
          • Jan 2005

ops: Ok ... I feel stupid. I had been watching a TV show that only contained dialog. The 3805 is significantly better than my old 3802 at isolating dialog from a 2-channel signal and it only routes it to the center channel.

Later I was watching a movie and it sounded great in Dolby PLII. All channels were used, but only music and sound effects are routed to FR, FL, SL and SR channels.

Problem Solved ... Actually never existed.

Comment

• jimmyp58
            Super Senior Member
            • Aug 2003

Glad this got cleared up. :T

Jim
            jpiscitello@ameritech.net

Comment

• BlazeMaster
              • May 2004

I have the 2805 and the remote is a lil different than the cool looking one that 3805 comes with. I know sometimes when I watch movies, my dogs will jump on the couch and press this tiny little "front speaker" button on the bottom right section of the remote and turns off the L&R speaker only and leaving the center on. It drives me crazy, the first couple of times this happens, I must have tried every button on the remote to turn the L&R back on. Denon makes great products, but I just don't find them very user friendly, especially the manual.

I have the AVR2805 and DVD2200, the manuals from both units are like written for a professional audio or video calibrator. They need to explain a little more what each function does, and the pros and cons of both. Basically pay more attention to the details of the functions. Just me venting my occasional frustrations.

Comment

• BlazeMaster
                • May 2004

questions about the way you use your receivers. The 2805 and current generation receivers that has auto EQ, how do you compare the results from auto EQing to a well manually EQed system? And also what EQ settings do you set it as: normal, front, flate or off?

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"