X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Foxman
    • Jan 2003

DVD player technical advise

Wasnt sure were to put this thread.

Anyone know a sight or someone that can advise me on an issue I am having with my DVD Player?

The issue is that of the 200-300 movies and music disks I own I have three movies that will "hang up" at about the mid point of the disk.

Pearl Harbor
    Mystic River
    Back to the Future part 2

Only Pearl Harbor will play the next chapter, but neither of the other 2 will continue from that point.

Also the only home made video disk I have will not play and I have 4 copies recorded at 3 differant speeds, 1, 2 and 4 and it will play the first 2 or 3 chapters and then notta.

I can play every one of these disks on every other player in the house and they are a far cry from my primary unit in terms of quality.

I have decided there is something misaligned that these specific disks exploit or the laser is at least partially dirty. I really don't know. Anyway, any help would be appreciated.
    IMO

My Movies
    Bad Pics of my system
  • Kevin P
    • Aug 2000

Sounds like your player is having trouble reading past the layer change.

What player is it? Maybe you can check with the manufacturer for a firmware upgrade that addresses the problem. If it's only happening on 3 discs, it's more likely that than a defect in the player.

Comment

• Foxman
      • Jan 2003

Originally posted by Kevin P
      Sounds like your player is having trouble reading past the layer change.

What player is it? Maybe you can check with the manufacturer for a firmware upgrade that addresses the problem. If it's only happening on 3 discs, it's more likely that than a defect in the player.
      It's a Denon 2900. Far as the layer change goes, I agree with that, but strange it only has a problem with these specific disks isnt it?
      IMO

My Movies
      Bad Pics of my system

Comment

• David Meek
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Early on in the game, I had 3 or 4 discs go bad on me. I replaced them with other (read newer) copies and have never had a problem since. There were also occasional problems with certain players reading specific discs, but I haven't heard any of those stories for a couple of years. Most of those types of problems were cured with firmware upgrades - if at all.

Have you tried someone else's copies in your 2900? If not, attempt that first. That will at least tell you if it's your DVD (disc) or not. Then proceed to the more serious correction choices.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Foxman
          • Jan 2003

Originally posted by David Meek
          Early on in the game, I had 3 or 4 discs go bad on me. I replaced them with other (read newer) copies and have never had a problem since. There were also occasional problems with certain players reading specific discs, but I haven't heard any of those stories for a couple of years. Most of those types of problems were cured with firmware upgrades - if at all.

Have you tried someone else's copies in your 2900? If not, attempt that first. That will at least tell you if it's your DVD (disc) or not. Then proceed to the more serious correction choices.
          Thanks, I suppose the easiest way is to rent one of these and try that. I could also take the movies in question to a store that carries the 2900 and try them on their player. I am assuming they will play since these movies play on my other lesser quality players though. I sent Denon tech support an email to establish if there was a firmware update available, but I am not holding my breath. Maybe the solution wont be too painful.
          IMO

My Movies
          Bad Pics of my system

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"