X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stoney
    • Dec 2004

Need a new Blue Ray/DVD Player. Advise requested

Tired of my old player hanging up at the slightest hint of a scratch. Figure the laser/reader/whatever is getting weak.
    Here are my wants: Blu-Ray, DVD, CD. WiFi built in. Would be nice to be able to read files from USB port, also want to have DVD region free.

My questions.
    Since I run HDMI out to my processor, I am assuming that the player is doing nothing more than reading bits and sending them to the processor. Is this correct?

Amongst the medium price units, is there much difference between transports and pickups/sensors?
    In the pricier units, is the main difference in the processing circuitry? Would I be wasting money to by a "quality" player if I am using an external processor?

To purchase a region free player, most places want at least $100 above retail for the same player retail, and most are last years models. They claim "professional" modifications with life time mod warranties. Are they just doing the code hacks that can be found online and charging $100 for 10 minutes work?
    I just looked at a few, but units I looked for didn't have code hacks listed.

Has anyone else looked into code free players? Any suggestions as to a good reliable unit in the under $200 price range?

Thanks.

Great, Just noticed I cant spell advice. Can't figure how to edit the header. Oh well.
    Last edited by Stoney; 22 July 2014, 17:51 Tuesday. Reason: Can't spell.
    Emotiva UPA-700 Amp
    Emotiva UMC 200 pre/pro
    B&W DM605 S2 Mains
    DM602 S2 Surrounds
    DM601 S2 Rear Surrounds
    CC6 S2 Center.
    ASW 1000 Sub
  • Stoney
    • Dec 2004

Never mind. Decided to go with a Sony BDP-S5100 from 220 Electronics. Wasn't worth the worry and hassle to research and try and find a model with a posted hack and do it myself.
    Emotiva UPA-700 Amp
    Emotiva UMC 200 pre/pro
    B&W DM605 S2 Mains
    DM602 S2 Surrounds
    DM601 S2 Rear Surrounds
    CC6 S2 Center.
    ASW 1000 Sub

Comment

• madmac
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2010

Since your processor is doing the decoding and DAC conversion, the only 'real' difference in a higher quality player would be in the video performance. A PS3 would have been a great choice for you with the gaming abilities being a bonus. The PS3 is an excellent performer video wise.
      Dan Madden :T

Comment

• Hdale85
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2006

PS3 isn't region free, which he clearly was looking for.

Comment

• Stoney
          • Dec 2004

Thanks for the replies. I have read that the PS3 is a good player. Unfortunately, the gaming capabilities would be totally wasted on me. I never graduated much past the DOS text adventure games. "Walk to the table" "Look at the Astrolabe"....
          Thanks for the confirmation on the audio processing.
          We'll see how the Sony works out.
          Emotiva UPA-700 Amp
          Emotiva UMC 200 pre/pro
          B&W DM605 S2 Mains
          DM602 S2 Surrounds
          DM601 S2 Rear Surrounds
          CC6 S2 Center.
          ASW 1000 Sub

Comment

• madmac
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Hdale85
            PS3 isn't region free, which he clearly was looking for.
            Oops!!......Your right. I wouldn't even think of what it would take to make a PS3 region free!!...ACK!!
            Dan Madden :T

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"