X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ht_addict
    • Dec 2002

Harmony 659 or 768 remote?? Which one

I was just taking a look at the Futureshop website and they have both remotes in the title on for $99CDN. I was just wondering which one is better. The 768 comes in Red or Blue with the Silver version still listed for $499CDN. From what I can see in the picture there is no difference in the button layout between the colored and silver versions so I would assume the functions are the same.

ht_addict
  • macvidguy
    • Dec 2004

I have the 659

Hey,
    I like the 659, but the only downside I have found is changing channels on the TV tuner and adjusting the volume. I have only had it for about 2 weeks. It just appears to have lost the concept that I want volume controls to effect the receiver at all times even if I am using the number pad on the remote to change channels.

If you have everything going through the receiver it should be able to handle this no prob (I will figure it out soon, I suppose) If not...be prepared to have to "select device" then adjust "volume" then return to the device for channel/tuner changes.

That's my experience, not sure if the 768 has any more macros or not, but they are the key.
    Mac.
    Thanks in Advance,
    Mac.
    8O

Comment

• EAmin
      • Aug 2004

I have the 659, and it seems to be working great. For $199, it is a great solution. I love how you select your components from the web, and download directly into the remote.

My only gripe is I find myself going through the Help too many times cuz it missed a device. For ex., if I press "Watch TV", it's supposed to turn on the TV, my processor (which everything runs through) and my Sat box. However, it sometimes misses the sat box. In these cases, I have to click Help and step through the menus asking me if the TV is on? Is the Sat box on? No --- Is it on now? Yes --- Did that fix the issue? ... etc., etc.

It's an easy menu. Even the wife can use it.

Don't know the differences between the other model, but I'm sure it is good too. Good luck.

Comment

• Juan Cortez
        • May 2003

I have the SSt 659 and I really enjoy it. I find it very easy to use and program. I also like the 4 aticivity buttons which makes using your system a breez. IMO it is on eof the most user friendly remotes out there. I have no tried the 768, but I am sure it is just as easy to use.

macvidguy

did you set up the activity buttons? You should be able to control everything with out switching between the devices?
        Jason

Comment

• macvidguy
          • Dec 2004

Activity Buttons

I did setup the activity buttons...maybe it is just missing the last item in a string for the activity macro, like going back to Receiver volume? Thanks for the heads up, but I think I may just have to take the custom route on that button and change the order or function.
          Thanks in Advance,
          Mac.
          8O

Comment

• ht_addict
            • Dec 2002

Ended up ordering the 768 for $99CDN/$80US. Not bad for a remote that original sold for $400CDN+

ht_addict

Comment

• junior77blue
              • Nov 2004

you guys should have checked out HomeTheater Master 700, great remote maybe not as simple. But all the programming is done via PC. Possibilities are endless, macros, anything....

I got mine on e-bay for less than $200

Comment

• Juan Cortez
                • May 2003

ht_addict

Congrats on the purchase, and for getting it at a really really good price . Does the remote have the activity buttons? By looking at the picture I cannot tell.

junior77blue

The Harmony remotes are programable via pc as well. What I really like about them is that they can have software upgrades which can correct minor problems.
                Jason

Comment

• junior77blue
                  • Nov 2004

When I mean program, I MEAN PROGRAM.

IIRC....the harmony remotes are 'simple' remotes. Where as the programing is "i wanna watch a dvd movie" or "i wanna watch tv". To me that limits what you can do and and are just basic macros. But since i have never owned one, not sure.

Do yourself a favor and take a look at what the hometheatermaster remotes can do. Its not for everyone. And they have updates to the firmware/software as well.

Comment

• Gordon Moore
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Feb 2002

Originally posted by junior77blue
                    you guys should have checked out HomeTheater Master 700, great remote maybe not as simple. But all the programming is done via PC. Possibilities are endless, macros, anything....

I got mine on e-bay for less than $200

For one he got the remote already so "should haves" are pretty pointless.

#2 I'm guessing you mean $200 US and he got it for $99CDN.

#3 The harmony is fully web programmable

so Dollar for dollar he did REAL WELL :T

If you'd like to know more about his remote ...go here:

Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

Comment

• junior77blue
                      • Nov 2004

I guess, my question is can the harmony remote 'REPLACE' all your remotes? Do you ever find yourself grabbing the reciever remote to toggle something. If so, then yah great deal. Well, great deal regardless for $80. Better than all remotes at best buy..

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"