X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jhschlak
    • Nov 2004

Rotel RR-1050 remote control question

Has anyone figured out how to turn on your components without messing up the device/input buttons? I was able to get a device to turn on after programming it, but then the receiver would not change to the correct imput. How are you suppose to use the macro buttoms if you cannot program your devices to turn on using this remote? It seems like the directions would lead me to believe that this can be done. To clarify: I want to turn on my dvd player with rotel remote and tune my rotel receiver to video 1, am I able to do both of these by holding down the v1 device/imput button?

Another weird thing is I tried to program the power button that is underneath the slide down cover, and instead of turning on/off the device I programmed, it would turn off the receiver.
    Thanks for any help,
    -Jeff
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

Yeah the button under the cover is for the receiver only I think. I don't think it will let you learn over it.

As far as the macro's, you're going to have to program power on the on/off buttons. Then set the macro for video 1 to hit the 'held video 1' and then the on command under video 1. Macro's aren't the easiest to use as you HAVE to hit the M button first to start the macro. IE, you have to hit 'M-VIDEO 1' to fire the macro. I don't know of a way to set a regular button (held video 1) to fire two codes.

Kevin D.

Comment

• jhschlak
      • Nov 2004

You are talking about the on/off buttons that are right there on the remote, right? You can program these to turn on/off specific components other than the receiver?

Comment

• Kevin D
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Oct 2002

Just tested it to make sure, yes you can. Don't program over the AUD layer though or you will lose power control of the receiver.

Hit learn, hit a device button, then hit on/off.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Zzap
          • Sep 2003

Originally posted by jhschlak
          You are talking about the on/off buttons that are right there on the remote, right? You can program these to turn on/off specific components other than the receiver?
          Clicking on any of the buttons on the top 2 rows (except the EXT button) will change how the lower buttons work.

If for example the remote display says "CD" then the "1", "2", "3", "ON", "OFF", "4", "5", etc. buttons can all be programmed to control your CD player (in my case I've programmed them to control my DVD player).

If the remote display says "TUNER", then the same "1", "2", "3", "ON", "OFF", etc. buttons can now all be programmed to control your "TUNER".

It's important to know that these buttons (can be programmed to) behave differently depending on what the remote display says.

Another example - In my case I use the "VIDEO 5" settings for my TV and I made sure the remote display said "VIDEO 5" before I began programming the buttons for the TV.

If I had not done this, ie. if the remote display had still read "CD" when I started the programming, then I would have destroyed my DVD programming and had had to start over.

It is therefore important that BEFORE you begin programming the "1", "2", "3", etc. buttons that you make sure that the remote display says what you want.

You also only program ONE function for each button - you use a macro when you want to do multiple functions at once.

Imagine that I want to turn on my TV, go to channel "2", turn on my DVD player and press PLAY.

Normally I would have to click on the following remote buttons:
          * VIDEO 5 (changes display)
          * ON (the ON button turns on the TV)
          * 2 (makes the TV go to channel 2)
          * CD (changes display)
          * ON (the same ON button now turns on the DVD player)
          * PLAY (or the black ">" triangle on the remote)

I haven't got the manual beside me when I'm writing this so I cannot be more specific (can't remember the details ) but it goes something like this:
          * you start the macro programming
          * you click on all the same buttons as listed above
          * you end the macro programming

Somewhere along the line (in the start or end of the macro programming) you assign a button for the macro.

If you chose to save your macro in the "1" button, then you can fire off that macro over and over by first pressing "M" (the display asks which "MACRO?") and then you press "1" to fire off the macro you saved on the "1" button.

If I remember correctly then there are NO layers for the "1", "2", "3", etc. buttons when you're dealing with macros, ie. "M" + "1" will fire off the same macro disregarding what the remote display says.

To conclude:

If you want to turn on/off specific components then make sure that the remote display reads differently (eg. "VIDEO 1", "VIDEO 2", etc) for each component before starting your programming of the buttons.

To turn on/off any component then make sure that the remote display reads correctly (ie. the same as when you programmed the component) before pressing "ON" or "OFF".
          /John

Comment

• Zzap
            • Sep 2003

Originally posted by jhschlak
            To clarify: I want to turn on my dvd player with rotel remote and tune my rotel receiver to video 1, am I able to do both of these by holding down the v1 device/imput button?
            -Jeff
            No, not as far as I understand it.

Without macros this would take 2 key presses on your remote:
            * press and hold V1 (Pressing the button makes the remote switch to "VIDEO 1". Holding the button makes the tuner switch to "VIDEO 1")
            * press "ON" (I assume the "ON" button on "VIDEO 1" has been programmed to turn on the dvd player)

To use any macro, you would first need to press "M" and then the key that you assigned the macro to.

That would also take 2 key presses and therefore nothing is really saved except the holding of the V1 button.
            /John

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"