X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • macvidguy
    • Dec 2004

Features to look for in a DVD

Getting ready to buy a DVD. Most likely a multidisc but doesn't have to be. I am trying to figure out what features I need.

I read in another thread that DVDs aren't allowed to do more than a certain resolution on Component Cables? Is that true?

Basically I am assuming that I need 720P and 1080i, DVI output and optical audio, possibly HDMI (is that the right term?).

It will be connecting to a Denon 2805 which has neither Video interface, so is the HDMI really that important or will I run DVI to my projector/and or HDTV Flat screen.

Is there a port replicator so that I can run out the DVD on DVI and have that lead to a projector and Flat scree?

Sorry for the tangented approach. But I think I need a progressive scan DVD that can do 720P and 1080i, with a DVI interface. If my Denon decodes all the audio formats do I need anything special audio wise on the DVD?

Thanks,
    Mac.
    Thanks in Advance,
    Mac.
    8O
  • Gordon Moore
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Feb 2002

Basically I am assuming that I need 720P and 1080i, DVI output and optical audio, possibly HDMI (is that the right term?).
    Note that 720P and 1080i are not "native" DVD resolutions....as the disc is encoded at plain old 480i. Those players interpolate as best they can (basically they guess as to what and how the data density can be filled in).

For simplicity sake those players like the Samsung do the trick....if you like a challenge, an HTPC could be it better (especially with a 6800 Nvidia card (non GT) (NV41) and the latest "PureVideo drivers" but introduces all sorts of setup headaches that some enjoy and cause others to abandon the idea completely.

Sony is comiited to bringing Blu-ray to North America is '05 while it moves through Japan now (expect all Columbia/Sony Titles to follow the push I imagine but "wait and see" if any other studio follows suit).

HDMI doesn't have strict guidelines so your mileage may vary hooking up one component to another....when it works, I hear it works well..."one cable to rule them all".

my Denon decodes all the audio formats do I need anything special audio wise on the DVD?
    Just a Coax or Optical cable...your pick...coax is sturdier (IMO)
    Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

Comment

• macvidguy
      • Dec 2004

Thanks for the info.

Thanks for the info. I am always up for a challenge. But am married and am not up for both challenges. Wife asking 1500 question on why, and when, and do other people HAVE to do this.

So a regular old DVD it is. I get the sense that this interpolating, upscaling or whatever the best term is a Faroudja piece. Or at least people are looking for a Faroudja licensed component. Thanks for the info and reality of the DVD.
      So if I understand this and want to juice my DVD movie, I can do it on the DVD or do it on the display component, like a projector or HDTV. I just have to make sure that something somewhere is artificially teasing me and the gut would tell me DVD...so I don't have to jump into a larger price gap/feature in proj or TV land.

Thanks,
      Mac. :E
      Thanks in Advance,
      Mac.
      8O

Comment

• Burke Strickland
        • Sep 2001

Features to look for in a DVD
        1) It should be round.
        2) It should be about 5 1/4 inches in diameter.
        3) It should have a hole in the middle....

... oh, wait. You mean the DVD PLAYER. Never mind. :>)

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• David Meek
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Burke
          Sorta like the humor around this website. :B

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Gordon Moore
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Feb 2002

So if I understand this and want to juice my DVD movie, I can do it on the DVD or do it on the display component, like a projector or HDTV. I just have to make sure that something somewhere is artificially teasing me and the gut would tell me DVD...so I don't have to jump into a larger price gap/feature in proj or TV land.
            There's the rub...some players do it well and some displays do it well, some receivers do it well and some dedicated de-interlacers do it really well. The problem is that it's hard to know which is doing it better :?

If the budget allows find a player and display that offers upscaling and then you can decide which one is doing it better

That's where reviews and sites like www.hometheaterhifi.com come in handy (check out the DVD benchmark....few reviews rival it http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-bin/shootout.cgi).
            Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

Comment

• David Meek
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Gordon's already hit most of your points, so I'll just tack this on. If you want to see owner reviews (some of which are surprisingly frank) of various products, check out AudioReview.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Bam!
                Super Senior Member
                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Burke Strickland
                1) It should be round.
                2) It should be about 5 1/4 inches in diameter.

... oh, wait. You mean the DVD PLAYER. Never mind. :>)

Burke
                :lol:
                Got a nice rack to show me ?

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"