X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • EAmin
    • Aug 2004

SVS B-12 Plus/4 - anyone?

Sorry for the off-topic question.

Just wondering if anyone is running this sub with B&W speakers? I am VERY interested in losing my ASW750 for one of these monsters. Anyone hear this sub? I'm most concerned about the "musical" sound of this sub. I don't listen to stereo with a sub, but in case I do I want it to sound clean. Same for multichannel listening. I'm sure it sounds awesome for HT.

I posted a note out on an SVS forum, but am interested if you all had thoughts on it being paired with B&Ws. Thanks!
  • EAmin
    • Aug 2004

8O Oops! I meant for this to be a reply to the HOW MANY B&W OWNERS HAVE B&W SUBS OR SUB - MICHAEL STRO post. I pushed the wrong button. Sorry.

Comment

• BlazeMaster
      • May 2004

EAmin, I have the SVS PB12plus/2 for what it's worth. It's a very impressive sub for movies. I don't like to use the sub too much either for music, but it's very satisfactory for music also, IMO. For movies, I have it set at about 1/3 of the max gain. Be honest with you, I can't imagine having something more powerful like the PB12plus/4 as the plus/2 is plenty for me.
      If you're set on that sub, then go for it. I'm sure you'll be plenty impressed with its raw power for movies. I just got the EE of ROTK and the bass effects in that movie is so nice. Towards the end of the movie where Frodo is about to drop the ring into the fire, the sub beats like his heart beat, my PB12plus/2 can shake the windows in my bedroom, on the 2nd floor!!
      I'm not sure how's the performance on the ASW750 and I don't think selling it for PB12plus/2 will justify the "upgrade", so going with a PB12plus/4 or PB12ultra/2 will be more worth the extra money, IMO. Have fun.
      BTW: it shouldn't be too hard for you to prepare or move the PB12plus/4 around because you have carpet. I received the PB12plus/2 by myself just fine.

Comment

• will1066
        • Aug 2003

Well, since you created this thread, I'll chime in. I just replaced my ASW600 with a PB10-ISD and the latter can do what the former can't, simple as that. I can *feel* the effects now. When the ring drops, you can feel the thump against your chest. Mine's set between 1/3 and 1/4. I haven't tried it with music yet but plan to.

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
          Super Senior Member
          • Oct 2003

EAmin,

Sithlord has the PB12/4+ shipped all the way to Australia and he loves it.. I'll PM him with a link to this thread (I don't hink he comes to Club B&W much as he is a M&K man!)

Geoff

Comment

• EAmin
            • Aug 2004

Blaze: Thanks for your honest opinion on this. It is a big sub, and I can already hear the ceramics and other crystal figurines my wife collects breaking from the earthquake this sub will create --- but that's what I want for HT. However, I really want something that provides clean bass for music. It sounds like it is the best of both worlds.

Will1066: Glad to hear you are liking your sub. I'm looking for that same effect of feeling the experience, and not just hearing it.

Geoff: As always, thank you for your help in getting others to visit the post. You did mean the B12-Plus/4 right? Thanks for keeping my post alive --- even though it's not really related to B&Ws.

I hope to pull the trigger soon --- early January.

Comment

• PewterTA
              • Nov 2004

You will be amazed by the sub...it's great performance for the price. I still think the coolest thing is feeling all the bass when it's really rocking and you put your hand on the cabinet and there's barely any vibration (if any) to the sub itself....

Got to love that Push-Pull design.

If you go for it, you won't regret it, just make sure you get the K1 or K2 Crown Amp, Behringer Feedback Destroyer, and properly calibrate it!
              Digital Audio makes me Happy.
              -Dan

Comment

• EAmin
                • Aug 2004

Thanks PewterTA! I'm gonna get the K2 (even though it's probably too much, but you never know what you'll need). I'm also gonna get the Rane EQ. I'm so excited.

Comment

• BlazeMaster
                  • May 2004

Why would you need a K2 for it? Isn't the PB12plus/4 an active sub?

As for the "properly calibrating" it part, what should I use for test tones? My Denon 2805 only has a generic pink noise for all speakers. I have DVE already, I heard Avia is better for audio. I do have RS SPL meter already.
                  With the test tones, what am I looking for? A flat response throughout the subs' frequency response range?

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Oct 2003

Eamin,

You were so hard to talk into this... We feel humbled by your trust..

(You knew you wanted it you bass-a-holic !)

They have more bass than anyone will even need (want is a different factor)... Great choice!!! :T

In most normal sized rooms they will reach 128 to 130 dB of bass which is able to rearange the furniture in adjoining rooms with ease... (Don't tell your wife until AFTER it is delivered

Geoff

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Oct 2003

Blazemaster,

Why would you need a K2 for it? Isn't the PB12plus/4 an active sub?
                      No it is unpowered requiring a 2 channel high current amplifier to drive the 4 x 12 inch long throw bass drivers and the K2 is the "mans choice" of amplifiers for it with its 2500W of clean gut-busting power. THis Link to the right SVS Page will explain all you need to know about this bass bad boy...

As for the "properly calibrating" it part, what should I use for test tones? My Denon 2805 only has a generic pink noise for all speakers. I have DVE already
                      DVE or AVA have special subwoofer test tones that you can use to calibrate the sub - they are set to the same level as their matching test tones for speakers. Follow menues on the DVD and calibater at 85 dB and you will be fine!

Geoff

Comment

• EAmin
                        • Aug 2004

You nailed it, Geoff! I am a bass-a-holic.

I think I need to enter a 12-step program --- the kind with 4 12" SVS woofers. :-y

Anyways, if I don't find a B12 under the tree Christmas morning, I'll be putting an order the following Monday with SVS. Woo hoo! Can't wait!

Happy holidays!

Comment

• Kevin P
                          • Aug 2000

I moved this thread to Home Theater, since it it is not a discussion of B&W speakers.

Comment

• EAmin
                            • Aug 2004

Thanks for moving this Kevin P.

Just an update. I did not find a B12 under the tree --- no surprise. I'm actually gonna hold out on the order as I'm going to be able to listen to a B12. I contacted a gentleman on another forum (local to my area) who owns not one, but TWO of these bad boys. WOW. Let you know how it goes.

Also, I'm gonna hold out until CES 2005 just to see what's gonna be released.

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Oct 2003

EAmin,

With Upgraditus "holding out" is good...

Prolongs the pleasure...

Geoff

Comment

• Sithlord
                                • Aug 2004

PB12/4+ Sub

Ahh what can I say about this sub that hasn't been said already. A revelation is the first word that comes to mind as is Holy @##!. I was not ready when that beast arrived and moving it was quite a challenge. Once calibrated I sat back and was blown away at the ease in which the B4+ delivered the bass no matter what I throw at it. It is definalty overkill where I have it but when I move into a bigger room it will make more sense. I say if you have the money go for it you wont be disappointed. :nos:

Comment

• EAmin
                                  • Aug 2004

Didn't go for the SVS, going Velo instead

Well, I decided not to pull the trigger on the B-12. I ended getting two Velo DD-15s (I have a largen open area to pressurize as the family room opens up to a kitchen). I looked at several subs including the Contrabass and Genelecs, but didn't like the way they'd look in an open theater area. The DDs and the SVS are very nice looking. I also liked what I read about the Digital Drive technology, loved the built in parametric EQ. Another factor in the decision was the fact I could trade in my ASW750, and apply the credit to the new subs. Couldn't do that with the B-12 obviously.

So we'll see if my decision is the right one in about two weeks when I have both delivered. Thanks to all for their help.

Comment

• Lex
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Apr 2001

Two velo's? That's pretty awesome. Since this thread is no longer related to original poster's intent, it's closed.
                                    Doug
                                    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

Working...
                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                    Search Result for "|||"