X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BlazeMaster
    • May 2004

which sub should I go with?

Hi, I found a Velodyne SPL1200II used "brand new" for $1000 and a SVS PB12plus/2 for around 1100+100(shipping). The velo is from original owner and the SVS is a B-Stock from SVS. I also can get a SVS PC+20-39 for about $750. Which should I get? They're all within my budget and I mainly watch movies the most, but I do want something that can keep up for music also. Any opinions and suggestions, please?
  • jazznsoccer
    • Apr 2004

Here's another option I'd consider...

Earthquake SuperNova MKIV-15 580Watt Sub
    Last edited by Burke Strickland; 10 November 2004, 02:08 Wednesday. Reason: Giving information about another subwoofer option is OK. However, links to ebay are not allowed

Comment

• Burke Strickland
      • Sep 2001

Raymond -- that's a tough call.

I have a Velodyne that gives great impact for movies and "keeps up" with the music quite effectively, as well. On the other hand, I've heard SVS subs in a couple of other systems and they do a fine job on both movies and music as well. And as Mike points out, there are other options out there in your price range, especially since you are OK with used/refurbished equipment.

Since the performance is probably going to be equally satisfying with the any of the ones you are looking at, I'd at least go with one that comes with a warranty. Some used equipment dioes, a lot doesn't. Any sub purchased directly from SVS, even B-stock, would have a warranty. How well do you know the person selling the Velo? I don't know if the Velo's manufacturer's warranty is transferable, although if the original owner didn't register it, then perhaps you could, since the unit is supposedly "brand new".

Although subwoofer failures are rare, being covered can save you from a nightmare if it does happen. My sub experienced a rare failure in the servo mechanism within a couple of months after I bought it. Velodyne repaired it at no charge to me including shipping, and it has worked perfectly for over five years since then. But it would have been a lot more of a hassle to deal with the problem if I had bought it without that kind of coverage.

Another consderation is aesthetics. Does the design of one sub or another fit better in your space? Height (cylinders are tall) vs floor space (at the same performance level, boxes take up slightly more square footage, but can be used as an end table). Saving a little money for a unit that doesn't really fit in, instead of spending a little more for one that does, isn't a good trade off. However, if space is not an issue, and/or you don't care how they look, then that point is moot.

Good luck!

Burke
      Last edited by Burke Strickland; 10 November 2004, 17:37 Wednesday.

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• Foxman
        • Jan 2003

Blaze,

All are quality subs to be sure. I ended up with the 20-39PC+ and have never regretted it. The only thing I would change about the sub is to add another.
        IMO

My Movies
        Bad Pics of my system

Comment

• BlazeMaster
          • May 2004

thanks guys for the replies and suggestions.
          Jazznsoccer, thanks but that's a little bit over my budget and the bid isn't even over yet.

Burke, thanks for the reassurance on SVS B-stock, I saw a PB12plus/2 on there as B-stock. My only beef with it is that it's so damn heavy for someone scrawny like me. I'm leaning more towards a PC+25-31 right now anyways.

Foxman.. I had the PCi20-39 in my living room for almost 2 weeks and rather have something just a little bit less noticeble so I'm going for the PC+25-31, since it's a little shorter. If anyone asks, I'll just tell them it's my penis pump or something. eheh. If the 25-31 is not enough, I can always add a second one.

BTW: have any of you guys seen the B&W PV1? It's a tiny little bass canon and it can go pretty loud and maintain it's cleaness and tightness at the same time. The cool thing about it is that when you touch it while it's blasting, there's no vibration at all, almost. I almost bought it on the spot, because its design, you can either hide it or show it off. But then again, I can get 2 of the PC+ that I mentioned above for one PV1.

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
            Super Senior Member
            • Oct 2003

Blazemaster,

An SVS PB12Plus/2 is a pretty impressive sub - 2 x 12 inch woofers and as loud as two of the PCi-20-39s you are looking at. Plus they are (while big) lower and easier to hide!

Geoff

Comment

• BlazeMaster
              • May 2004

thanks Aussie Geoff, I just placed the order for the PB12plus/2 today and it should arrive next next Monday. After having the PCi20-39 for almost 2 weeks in my home, I think I'll appreciate the plus/2 much more.

Comment

• Sithlord
                • Aug 2004

Read this review sit back,relax and enjoy.

We discuss and review all genre of movies, all types of home theater hardware, and maintain one of the longest running active forums on the web!

I hope this is the right review for your sub as SVS has changed their naming on most of their models. My B4+ is now called B12/4+ talk about confusing but makes sense as it refers to the driver it's using.

Comment

• BlazeMaster
                  • May 2004

thanks guys I placed the order for a SVS PB12plus/2 couple days ago and it should arrive within 2 weeks. Thanks anyways for the suggestions.

Comment

• Chris D
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Dec 2000

Congrats! I have dual SVS PC-Ultras, and love 'em. I think you'll be happy.
                    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                    - Pleasantville

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"