X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ibluetooth
    • Nov 2004

Home Theater Package Suggestions

Hey all,

I'm looking for a good mix of affordable and perfomance home theater speaker setup. 5.1 is what I would need for a room that is 16' x 11' with an 8' ceiling. There is a half wall on one side so it's kinda weird for accoustics.

This has to be a budget setup as I will go high end next year.

I currently have a Yamaha HTR 5790 receiver and a Toshiba 5700 dvd player along with a Samsung Tantus 47" widescreen tv.

I will be looking at movies 20%, listening to music 60% and watching cable tv 20% of the time all in 5 channel stereo mode.

Budget for this project is $1200 CAD which really limits my choices but I need something just to fill the gap until I can finish my dedicated media room and get high end stuff.

I currently have the Bose AMK 6 system...but this sounds terrible in the room. Not enough Bass, Terrible Voice reproduction from the center channel. I still have time to return it to Best Buy, so please any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
  • mattburk
    • Feb 2003

I picked up a killer deal on a elt system from av123. I upgraded the fronts to cse's and could propaly add there new powered stand for under a total of 800usa. They make deals, it would not hurt to check them out.
    How do you like that yamaha? I now need to purchase a receiver and I was thinking of the pioneer 1014 or the yamaha 5790.
    www.mycstone.com
    www.coverednow.com
    www.biarenton.com

Comment

• ibluetooth
      • Nov 2004

Hey Matt,

Thanks for the advice, I will definitely check them out. As for the Yamaha 5790. It's a great utilitarian receiver. It does everything you would want a home theater receiver to do. Plus it also has THX Select certification - great for looking at any new Disney made DVD's as they are almost all THX certified.

I can't say that it's the greatest for listening to music in 2 channel as I think that it sounds a little over processed, but that's just personal preference (My wife who grew up around musicians can't really tell the difference) Note this may be because I am connecting the DVD player (Toshiba 5700) to the receiver via an optical cable right now. I've heard that once I move to a digital co-ax, it sounds much better.

The one sticky point that I have with it is I need more video inputs. Not sure what you're planning to connect to the receiver itself, but I've got; DVD, Cable Box, Satellite, PS2, Game Cube and VCR. There just aren't enough inputs for all of these. 2 Component Ins, 5 S-Video/Composite Ins, but two of the S-Video / Composite are labelled DVD and DTV (the same as the Component Ins) I don't think that they are assignable to other sources either. I haven't seen anything in the manual about it. So effectively, you have 5 Video Ins at the most.

Bottom line is if you're looking for a receiver for home theater, at this price point, I don't think that you're gonna find much better. Maybe a Denon without THX Select but that's about it I think.

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"