X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Indyfred
    • Nov 2004

What Universal Player?!?!?!?

Looking to replace my old DVD player with a Universal player so I can listen to SACD and DVD-A discs. I am more of an audiophile than a videophile but want good video quality also. Current equipment: Toshiba 34HF84 HDTV, Denon AVR-3803, Klipsch RB5II, RW10 sub, RC35 Center, and RS35 surround.

Looking for a Univeral player in the $500 range. After reading alot of reviews on the web, my list is:

Denon 2200, Yamaha DVD - S1500, Marantz DV6400, Yamaha DV-S5770 (new but specs look better than the 1500).

Any suggestion on any of these or suggestions/experiences of your own would be appreciated.
    Fast Fred
  • Shane Martin
    Super Senior Member
    • Apr 2001

Right now I'd buy a bstock/used or new Denon 2900. I believe list price is down to $699 now.

Yamaha also has a new player coming at $699 as well but adds firewire and HDMI.

The 2900 is a proven product though.

Comment

• Indyfred
      • Nov 2004

Thanks, Shane. I'll check into it. Are you a 2900 owner?
      Fast Fred

Comment

• Shane Martin
        Super Senior Member
        • Apr 2001

Soon to be I hope. It seems to be the best player for the $$.

Comment

• sikoniko
          Super Senior Member
          • Aug 2003

I think the 2910 looks pretty good. Haven't heard it but am considering it.
          I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• aud19
            Twin Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2003

I'd probably go with one of the Denon's as well. The Yamaha's have been good machines as well, though they seem to be about 6 months behind Denons. If you get a new Yamaha however it should be at least as good, or better, as an older model Denon IMO. IMO Yamaha's tend to have slightly better musicality though the Denon's tend to have a slight edge in picture quality. Neither is a bad choice though and if I were you I would base my purchase on features and which I could get a better price on...

Jason
            Jason

Comment

• Foxman
              • Jan 2003

I'll vouch for the 2900, I love mine for both video as well as audio.

I have heard some players that just didnt deliver the audio the way this unit does.
              IMO

My Movies
              Bad Pics of my system

Comment

• Indyfred
                • Nov 2004

Any input how the new 2910 compares to the 2900?
                Fast Fred

Comment

• Shane Martin
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Apr 2001

Well the 2910 has a Faroudja chipset and a DVI output but the 2910 has some issues like macroblocking. The 2900 has no such issues. It uses a Silicon Image Chipset.

Keep also in mind that the 2900 had retailed for $1k while the 2910 is $699 so I don't think they are entirely comparable.

Comment

• aud19
                    Twin Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2003

The Denon's don't actually have a macroblocking problem. It's a feature of the SI chip that can be turned off with a firmware upgrade.

From a previous thread:

Just read the review of the 5900 in WS Review (July issue) and I don't have it front of me but it seems it's a feature of the FLI2310 chip used that comes with the noise reduction feature enabled from the factory. This causes the mpeg artifact that looks like macroblocking. Apparently you can contact Denon for a firmware update to disable the function hence removing the artifact.
                    Jason
                    Jason

Comment

• NonSense
                      • Nov 2003

IndyFred

I believe that the Denon 3910 is the real replacement for the 2900. The 3910 being a step up from the 2900 and the 2910 being a step below. The chassis of the 3910 is very similar to the 2900.

The differences in video features aside. (DVI/upscaling etc???) The 2910 does offer some newer features in the video area over the 2900.

The audio performace when comparing the Burr-Brown chipsets used, places the 2900 more on par with the 3910 than the 2910.

If audio performance is your goal, I'd bet the 2900 would outperform the 2910.
                      Bruce

Comment

• Indyfred
                        • Nov 2004

Thanks for all of the input. I will be demo'ing out the Denon's and Yamaha's in the near future at a local store. If anyone has had any good experiences on any universal players that I didn't list, give a post.
                        Fast Fred

Comment

• Cracking Oboe
                          • May 2004

What Universal Player?!?!?!?

In a word... None.

I just have three requests before you purchase a universal player.

Please...
                          Listen to DVD-A on a DVD-A player. (Arcam or Rotel)
                          Listen to SACD on a SACD player. (Sony or Musical Fidelity)
                          Listen to both DVD-A and SACD on a universal player (any).
                          In my opinion there is no contest. I would love to hear your opinion afterward! (or from anyone else who has done the same.)

I feel that it is the fault of universal players that High Resolution sound is doomed to failure. The potential of the sound is just not realised in a universal deck.

Cracking!

Comment

• Indyfred
                            • Nov 2004

Cracking,

I will have to agree and disagree. I agree that a universal will not compete with a discrete component that is designed for only one purpose. But most people can’t afford to a have a high-end component for every damn format that is available today. Some music titles are on SACD but not SACD and vice versa. The music studios need to get together and decide what high-rez format delivers the best performance, stick to it, and promote it. If there was only one format then there would be no need for a universal. Unfortunately, universal players meet the needs of the majority of the consumers that want to listen to high-rez audio.
                            Fast Fred

Comment

• Cracking Oboe
                              • May 2004

Fair enough Fastfred, your thoughts are correct :agree: . My comments were out of order, and did not address your original question ops: . I'm sure your decision to purchase a universal player was well thought out with the cost/benifit ratios, title availability, and viablility of the formats all considered. My appologies. :smackbutt:

That being said, I read a review of the Dennon DVD-5900 vrs the Pioneer Elite DV-59AVi in September's AV Ultimate (stereophile). As is often the case with Pioneer, the magazine suggested that the Pioneer won out. They said (about the Pioneer Elite), "This is one of the best DVD players on the market, regardless of price." :E

It is hard to ignore the long list of rave reviews and awards for Pioneer's DVD universal players (at all price points). I don't own a Pioneer universal but I have two friends who do (one Elite, and the other a less expensive model). Both are great decks.

Good luck with your decision,

Cracking!

Comment

• Indyfred
                                • Nov 2004

Cracking,

You weren’t out of order. You were stating an opinion. You didn’t say I was an idiot, etc. and I didn’t take it that way. Thanks for the input on the last post.
                                Fast Fred

Comment

• blackstar
                                  • Nov 2000

I could save you some money - I've actually got a Denon 2200 for sale in the Pawn Shop that's been viewed by the HTguide's own admin - Andrew Pratt!

Fantastic machine for the money - and I agree with your earlier comment that universal's are the way to go all things considered. With these ridiculous format wars [HD-DVD/Blu Ray next], they'll become the norm.
                                  The Land of the "Horse"

Comment

• eelco74
                                    • Dec 2002

I own a 2900 and I am very pleased with it. It has some weak points, but overall it is a fine player.

A few weeks ago I listened to the current 3910. Altough it has DVI and stuff like that it is in my opinion not very good. Acually it had the most awfull CD sound I had heard in many years. Not to mention SACD, wich was quite horrible. It all sounded like there was a curtain hanging in front of the speakers. I was very puzzled, because I expected more of it.

Now today I read the review of the 3910 in hifinews (www.hifinews.co.uk) and guess what. Their conclusion was to get the last 2900 off the shelf before they run out of stock. It was that mutch better than the 3910.

You know what I can't find in the 3910 specs. If it still uses a seperate DSD chipset for SACD like the 2900 does....
                                    Last edited by eelco74; 01 December 2004, 05:55 Wednesday.
                                    Marantz AV8802, Marantz UD8002, Rotel RB-991 and RB985mkii, Rotel RD960
                                    Focal/Jmlab Electra 1028S, Electra CC, Electra SW1000S, Cobalt 705
                                    Pioneer KRL-37V, Epson EH-TW8100, Kinkping CES-180 77"inch

Comment

• Bill Blank
                                      • Sep 2002

I also have owned a Denon 2900, for over a year now, and have been 100% happy with it. It has never failed to read a disc, Denon sent a CD with new firmware on it at my request, and playback of every format has been above average.

My Rotel Pre/Pro (and most other brands for that matter) does not have more than one multi-channel input like that needed for SACD and DVD-Audio. To enjoy both formats a universal is the only answer. It plays both of those formats fantastically and DVD-V look spectacular through the progressive output.

While I still prefer the more neutral sound of my Arcam for CDs, I could happily live with the Denon if the Arcam was in the shop for an extended period or something.

Bill

Comment

• bcgator
                                        • Nov 2004

Hi, I'd like to throw another name into the pot: Onkyo 802. This is a new multi-disc universal player, holds 6 discs at once. I forget what I paid for mine, I think it was right around $529 or something close. I had a chance to compare this player to the Marantz 6400, and the Onkyo sounded better on SACD and DVD-A, and dramatically better with standard CDs. Build quality is nice, and I like being able to load 6 SACDs or DVD-A's into the player and just let her run for 5-6 hours straight. Something to consider, and it's in your price range. You'll be surprised at the sound quality; I never expected it to sound better than the Marantz 6400.

BCGator

Comment

• 68Ballistic
                                          • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Bill Blank
                                          I also have owned a Denon 2900, for over a year now, and have been 100% happy with it. It has never failed to read a disc, Denon sent a CD with new firmware on it at my request, and playback of every format has been above average.
                                          Bill
                                          Bill,
                                          You say that Denon sent you an upgrade disc? I curious why you needed it and what it changed...?

Thanks, Mark

Comment

• Indyfred
                                            • Nov 2004

Got a universal !

Picked up a Denon 220 on E-bay that was in mint condition for 3 bills. Was going to look for a 2900 but unfortunately had car problems and spent $1700 getting that fixed. Checked out the 2200 and 2900 at the local brick and mortar and they were still wanting near list price ($600 and $850) for them. Would really liked to get the 2900 but with the car problem and Xmas had to settle on the 2200. So far, I have not been disappointed.
                                            Fast Fred

Comment

• Cracking Oboe
                                              • May 2004

Congratulations Indy Fred!

Too bad that a more expensive deck like the 2900 won't get you to work. Car repairs are an unfortunate necessity. I hope you enjoy your new player. I imagine you had the chance to try out several different brands of players before making the plunge? Have you tried any high resolution formats on it yet? I imagine the video quality is very good, but how is the sound? Let us know.

Cracking!

Comment

• Foxman
                                                • Jan 2003

Indy, congrats on the new player. How do you like it so far? Tried any multichannel music yet?

"Originally Posted by Bill Blank
                                                Bill"

I am curious about this as well. I'd be very intersted in what that disk was able to do.
                                                IMO

My Movies
                                                Bad Pics of my system

Comment

• Nick M
                                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                                  • Nov 2004

reading with curiosity...

Anyone had the chance to hear this new puppy from Onkyo?

A little outside my budget at $2k though... 8O
                                                  ~Nick

Comment

Working...
                                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                  Search Result for "|||"