• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bam!
    Super Senior Member
    • Jan 2004

Your reference songs...

Hey duders....

here's another thread to add to the mix....

What songs do you bring along as reference material to try out stereo equipment....

Fo' me...

Patty Barber....Modern cool album.....song 7 2:45....Song 10 3.30 into it...

Dave Bruebeck...Live at Carnegie Hall...almost anything

Nina simone....for her voice....

John Labelle......for that Live feeling

Diana Krall....outtep..or impulse album...
    Last edited by Bam!; 03 October 2004, 15:18 Sunday.
    Got a nice rack to show me ?
  • dave
    • Aug 2003

This is a very useful thread Bam!!!
    I've had good luck with several discs,
    The 1st being Love Over Gold, the second track Private Investigations has a
    ton of detail in it, from the slight tapping on the high hat to the xylophone.

The Second Being, a tune off of Emerson Lake and Palmers-Trilogy, the tunes called, From the Beginning. The remastered version of this is VERY good

I also take a disc called Lost Herd by Ian Tyson I listen to the track called "Smugglers Cove"

another one is, A New Standard By Steve Tyrell-the 1st track Give me the simple life is a good one.

the last one I 'll list is Smiling Faces By the Undisputed Truth.

all of these for me have helped me in the past when choosing my equipment.
    Dave...

Comment

• Bam!
      Super Senior Member
      • Jan 2004

dave looks like only you and I think it's useful! :lol:

Comment

• dave
        • Aug 2003

I hope not Bam! personally I think this is one of those threads that could be of great help to all those looking to buy or just testing out the market place. Come on you guys this one could be alot of fun to be had by all!!!
        Dave...

Comment

• Burke Strickland
          • Sep 2001

Here are five tracks that I use fairly often, that, together, give a fairly good overall portrayal of what a system is capable of (and some insight into the kinds of music I enjoy):

Charles Ives “Three Places In New England”/Ruggles “Sun Treader”/Piston “Symphony #2” Michael Tilson Thomas/Boston Symphony Orchestra (Deutsche Grammaphone 289 463-2) track 3 – Ives/The Housatonic At Stockbridge. A great track to demonstrate your system’s resolving power of complex musical passages. This Ives piece has various sections of the orchestra playing different melodies at different tempos. If the system can handle it so you can pick a melodic line and follow it all the way through, it is doing pretty well. If you can pretty clearly hear ALL the various elements go their separate ways and then converge, without it all just becoming a muddle, the system is doing very well indeed.

Joan Baez “Diamond and Rust” -- The title track (track 1) from my fave pop album of all time pretty well sums up its appeal – beautifully played instrumentals and heart string-tugging vocals that tell a timeless story and (on a really good system) sounds like you are right there with Joan and her guitar.

Gustav Mahler “Des Knaben Wunderhorn” Elisabeth Scharzkopf and Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau London Symphony Orchestra conducted by George Szell (EMI Classics “Great Recordings Of The Century” 7243 5 67256 2 1) although track 1 has subtle bass and persuasive percussion underscoring a masterful vocal performance, track 6 is the one that really gives the system a chance to shine at its best.

Holly Cole “Temptation” – this disc is cited by many as the source of great bass demos, for good reason. I find track 14 (“All I Want Is You”) to be the most alluring combination of sounds on the album - voice, piano and uncannily realistic percussion followed by a tantalizing string interlude.

Jennifer Warnes “Famous Blue Raincoat” – on a disc devoted to well-sung covers of Leonard Cohen’s inspired lyrics, track 2, “Bird On A Wire”, stands out as a compendium of special effect musical sounds that, on a properly balanced system, blend surprisingly well into the overall rhythm of the song, adding to its effectiveness rather than calling too much attention to themselves. (On systems that exaggerate “detail” to the detriment of sounding musical, some of the effects can be annoying.) This album is hard to find, (you probably can’t get it locally), but can be special ordered online and is well worth the effort to acquire and enjoy.

Missing from this short list are sonic “blockbusters” engineered with extremely wide dynamic range and organ recitals with ultra-deep bass. But my system is certainly capable of handling them. One other album I have listened to, at least in part, on just about every system I have ever auditioned is "Briitish and American Band Classics" performed by the Eastman Wind Ensemble conducted by Fredrick Fennell. It is currently available on a Mercury CD, but I first heard (and owned) it on LP -- actually two LPs (the British and American selections were on separate albums).

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• purplepeople
            • Aug 2004

I use specific tracks from something I call my "Travelling Set" (the dozen or so discs that must go with me when I travel away from home).

ensen.

Brubeck - Time Out - #3 Take Five
            - The ride cymbal must be detailed and sax sound real. Also lets the sales staff know that the usual game won't work on me.

Strunz and Farah - Wild Muse - #6 Nuevo Sol
            - Acoustic guitars must be full sounding. Really even sounding dynamics will appear flat on on lesser systems. A good system will bring out the dynamics that are there.

Dave Grusin - Fabulous Baker Boys Soundtrack - #3 Making Whoopee
            - Piano opening must sound like a proper grand, especially on the hammer attack and the string sustain. A lesser system will make Michelle Pfeiffer sound like any other singer... a good one will make her sound sexier.

Rampal and Mehta - Mozart Flute Concertos - #1 K.313
            - Just because (and it really does make me feel smarter)

Aqua - Aquarium - #3 Barbie Girl
            - Tests thump capacity. Also, at the start there is a revving engine that fades out. The best systems will actually reveal that the car drives away from you. Perfect for after the Mozart to throw the sales staff off their game.

Sade - Best of Sade - #3 Smooth Operator
            - Rim shots at the start are multi-timbral and wide frequency range with really fast attack. Realistic sounding indicates fast response.

Nylons - Illustrious - #8 Up the Ladder
            - A capella for mid-range clarity and really fun to listen to.

Ry Cooder - Buena Vista Social Club Soundtrack - #1 Chan Chan #3 El Cuarto del Tula #9 Candela
            - Another musical favourite like the Mozart, but also some of the best combinations of sounds on a single CD. Most shops seem to have one lying around and a good one if you didn't bring any discs with you.
            Those who claim to be making history are often the same ones repeating it...

Comment

• jimmyp58
              Super Senior Member
              • Aug 2003

Trans-Island Skyway by Donald Fagen (Kamakiriad disc)

Chasing The Dawn by Peter White (Glow disc)
              jpiscitello@ameritech.net

Comment

• Bam!
                Super Senior Member
                • Jan 2004

WOW....thanks guys.....beautiful! Purplepeople...Burke.....the description on what you are looking for in the song you chose is priceless......Thanks!

for everything else there's mastercard LOL

this thread should be a sticky...I'll be using it regularly!

Comment

• ekkoville
                  • Aug 2004

With listening habits being of upmost importance in choosing material, I also like to bring some material I know will dictate the direction I want to listen. I love Pavarotti, but don't listen that much to him, still I believe he is great for vocals and the clarity. Track one and thirteen off "Ti Adoro" give great indications of vocal reproduction. I also like to bring some U2 for guitar, their Greatest Hits album has several tracks that work well: One, Where the Streets Have No Name, etc.

Erik

Comment

• David Meek
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

Okay, Bammer it's a sticky.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• ajpoe
                      • Jul 2004

What are everyone's favorite 2 channel tracks?

Since I have gotten my DAC1, I have gotten more and more into 2 channel and really enjoy just kicking back and listening to some good music. I thought it would be a fun and informative thread to post some of our favorites in both quality of the track (which I am a nube in rating this) and our various tastes. May be it will help some of us expand the type of listening we do as well. I'm sure I will add more, but some of my favorites to listen to currently are:

Eric Clapton - Change the World from the Clapton Chronicles
                      Bon Jovi's live rendition of Livin' on a Prayer from A Tribute to Heroes
                      Rod Stewart - Maggie May from Unplugged...And Seated
                      Maroon5 - She Will be Loved from Songs About Jane
                      Poison - Every Rose Has It's Thorn from Monsters or Rock (I know, I know, lol)

more to come later...

ajpoe
                      AJPoe - - Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional!

Comment

• David Meek
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2000

Hi AJ, there's a similar thread called Your Reference Songs already running in In Tune. Mind if I merge your post into that one?

Comment

• ajpoe
                          • Jul 2004

oh cool... i didn't know. i'll have to check it out.

thanks david!

ajpoe

Comment

• David Meek
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Aug 2000

Bookeeping note: I've merged a thread AJ started in Audio Hideout with this one. Carry on. . . .

Comment

• ajpoe
                              • Jul 2004

Cool, this is what I was hoping for... to see what was out there that I don't know about and may be expand my music horizons. Other than U2 and Sade, I don't think I've heard of any of this stuff. I'll have to start checking it out.

ajpoe

Comment

• theMaximus
                                • Jul 2004

Miles Davis: Kind of Blue --- So What
                                David Brubeck: Time Out --- Take Five
                                Sarah Mclachlan: Surfacing --- pretty much all the songs
                                Victory Shall Be Mine!!! :heh:

Comment

• BruinsFan
                                  • Sep 2004

Micheal Hedges: Because It's There.

Comment

• Bam!
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Jan 2004

...Karen Young...Morena Soy

Comment

• Foxman
                                      • Jan 2003

La vila Strongiato and Tom Sawyer both by Rush

Mental block, thats all I can think of, there are more
                                      IMO

My Movies
                                      Bad Pics of my system

Comment

• David Meek
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Aug 2000

Oooh, Rush. Okay, I'm adding their Mystic Rythms from Power Windows and Witch Hunt from Moving Pictures.

Comment

• MattCXII
                                          • Feb 2004

Thank you Burke!

For turning me on to Holly Cole... what an amazing voice! There is just something about female vocals that sends a shiver right up my spine!

This is a great thread to open people up to varieties of music they might not have picked up before!

THANKS!

Matt

Comment

• Bam!
                                            Super Senior Member
                                            • Jan 2004

....Rebecca Pidgeon Spanish Harlem

Comment

• aud19
                                              Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                              • Aug 2003

Hey Steve :later:

I'll second Miles Davis' Kind of blue and add Love Songs

Image not available

Another great band I use to test is Morcheeba.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Morcheeba1.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	948389

They're earlier stuff was pretty moody but very good with entrancing funk and tons of bass. There more recent efforts are a bit less edgy and cheerier with influence from 60's R&B, 80's pop and modern hip hop. Pretty cool stuff and the lead singers voice has this amazing airy quality that pulls you in to the music. Her voice is kind of hard to describe, you really have to hear it.

I also like to use one of U2's less popular albums, Pop, then there's Nina Simmone, Ella Fitgerald's Song Books etc, etc.

Jason
                                              Last edited by theSven; 18 August 2023, 09:59 Friday. Reason: Update image location
                                              Jason

Comment

• David Meek
                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                • Aug 2000

For the R&B/Blues/Rockers out there:

Robin Trower - In This Place from Bridge Of Sighs

With great guitar work (as you'd expect from Mr. Trower), it's a fine quiet rolling song with marvelous vocals by James Dewar.

Comment

• Shane Martin
                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                  • Apr 2001

My reference CD/Song is Track #34 which is a hidden track on
                                                  Dave Matthews Band :Under the Table and Dreaming

Click image for larger version

Name:	B000002WQS.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	948390
                                                  Last edited by theSven; 18 August 2023, 10:01 Friday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• Adz
                                                    • Jan 2004

Can someone recommend the best unbelievable kick ass SACD classical music soundtrack they have ever heard?
                                                    Adz

Comment

• dave
                                                      • Aug 2003

Here ya go, Tchaikovsky 1812 overture from Telarc. This is an EXCELLENT recording

The DSD Canons are Real. Disc# SACD-60541
                                                      Dave...

Comment

• Bam!
                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by dave
                                                        Here ya go, Tchaikovsky 1812 overture from Telarc. This is an EXCELLENT recording

The DSD Canons are Real. Disc# SACD-60541
                                                        Yup...I'll second that!!! I heard that one!

I am looking for it on vinyl!

Comment

• hired goon
                                                          • Aug 2004

G'day,

I have about 30 CDs that I take with me on speaker tests. Here's a partial lsit:
                                                          • Diana Krall - "Peel Me A Grape" (from "Love Scenes") - used for testing female vocals (imaging, clarity, etc), and for testing resolution of the instruments.
                                                          • Arvo Part - "Kanon Pokajanen" album - Massed choirs, should reveal excellent separation of voices, and dynamics as vocals go from a roar to a whisper.
                                                          • Beck - "Sea Change" album - I use the opening track for imaging and vocal tests. The guitars should sound warm, the vibraphone clear, and Beck's vocals should be precisely centred. It must sound like he's personally singing in the room right in front of me, not from the sides. Track 2 also has some dynamic strings that should sound superb.
                                                          • Jack Johnson "Times Like These" (opening track from "On And On") - An excellent recording with warm acoustic guitar, and close-miked vocals. This should sound good on just about any speakers.
                                                          • Miles Davis - "Kind Of Blue" - the whole album can be used for testing speakers. I generally look for clear separation of instruments, and imaging of the trumpet. Track 6 (an alternate take of track 5) has a sharp horn introduction at around 0:19. On lesser speakers, this is harsh and sibilant.
                                                          • Supertramp - "It's A Hard World" (from "Some Things Never Change") - A favourite of mine for testing. The opening 90 seconds of this track have some keyboard pops and effects that swirl from left to right -- this is useful for imaging. This section also contains a fast bass solo that should sound punchy and tight. Once the track begins properly at around 1:45, then the bass line should be deep, the drum taps clear. There's quite a few sound effects as well (ringing telephones, baseball bat swooshes) that should sound realistic, and a triangle in the bridge that should sparkle. I got this CD new from an Amazon reseller for US$2.50 - a bargain for testing speakers.
                                                          • Various - "Eclipse: A Journey of Permanence and Impermanence" (Twisted, TWSCD3) - this is a compilation focusing on psychedelic trance and ambient dub. The opening track, Shpongle - "...And The Day Turned To Night" - is a 20min monster full of deep dubby bass, flute, amazing sound effects, and percussion. At about 4:00, the flute line combines with a deep bass line, which is beaut for testing highs and lows. Around 6:00, drums are introduced, which should kick, but the synth should still sound clear and high. Around 8:00, the percussion stops and there's big bass kicks, which should really slam. This track is pure aural candy, but the snaking bass line should always be present, deep in the mix, while the effects should remain high and clear. Many speakers I've tried (especially the B&W 805) can't handle this. The remaining tracks are also good for testing bass extension.
                                                          • Padmasana - "Be Where Now" (from self-titled CD on Dakini Records) - another ambient dub CD, this time from Japan. The opening track has a bass introduction that goes very deep, and on some speakers, this sounds inverted because of lack of extension. There's also other sounds that can be used for clarity tests, such as little bells that ring amidst deep bass.
                                                          • Tori Amos - "Winter EP" - The three b-sides are great tests of female vocals and piano. Tori reaches some lovely high vocals on the Led Zep cover "Thank You", which should not be chesty or dull. There's some good piano tests as well: runs up and down the keyboard, pounding the keys hard, and various thumps on the piano itself. Similarly for her covers of "Angie" and "Smells Like Teen Spirit".
                                                          • Tool - "Lateralus" - Used for testing heavy guitar sounds. There's a lot of bass and dynamics in some tracks, especially the segue from track 5 to track 6. Some speakers (and amps) don't seem to provide enough power to capture the dynamics of this transition.
                                                          • Massive Attack - "Angel" (from "Mezzanine") - this track begins with some very deep rumbling bass. But the bass should still be tight and clear. On some speakers, the bass will be muddled.
                                                          • The Necks - "Aquatic" album (Fish Of Milk records) - only two tracks on this CD, and both are 25min minimalist piano/bass/drum affairs. The acoustic bass goes deep on the opening track, which some speakers don't quite pull off. The piano, when introduced, should sound bright and clear.
                                                          • David Sylvian - "When Poets Dreamed Of Angels" (from "Secrets Of The Beehive") - acoustic bass and vocals, with some very fast acoustic guitar work at the end.
                                                          • Dire Straits - "Private Investigations" (from "Love Over Gold") - the vibes should mimic the acoustic guitar, and the kick drum towards the end is a good test of dynamics.

--Geoff

Comment

• kmak
                                                            Super Senior Member
                                                            • Dec 2002

"School" (Supertramp, Crime of the Century)

Comment

• Bam!
                                                              Super Senior Member
                                                              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by hired goon
                                                              G'day,

I have about 30 CDs that I take with me on speaker tests. Here's a partial lsit:
                                                              • Diana Krall - "Peel Me A Grape" (from "Love Scenes") - used for testing female vocals (imaging, clarity, etc), and for testing resolution of the instruments.
                                                              • Arvo Part - "Kanon Pokajanen" album - Massed choirs, should reveal excellent separation of voices, and dynamics as vocals go from a roar to a whisper.
                                                              • Beck - "Sea Change" album - I use the opening track for imaging and vocal tests. The guitars should sound warm, the vibraphone clear, and Beck's vocals should be precisely centred. It must sound like he's personally singing in the room right in front of me, not from the sides. Track 2 also has some dynamic strings that should sound superb.
                                                              • Jack Johnson "Times Like These" (opening track from "On And On") - An excellent recording with warm acoustic guitar, and close-miked vocals. This should sound good on just about any speakers.
                                                              • Miles Davis - "Kind Of Blue" - the whole album can be used for testing speakers. I generally look for clear separation of instruments, and imaging of the trumpet. Track 6 (an alternate take of track 5) has a sharp horn introduction at around 0:19. On lesser speakers, this is harsh and sibilant.
                                                              • Supertramp - "It's A Hard World" (from "Some Things Never Change") - A favourite of mine for testing. The opening 90 seconds of this track have some keyboard pops and effects that swirl from left to right -- this is useful for imaging. This section also contains a fast bass solo that should sound punchy and tight. Once the track begins properly at around 1:45, then the bass line should be deep, the drum taps clear. There's quite a few sound effects as well (ringing telephones, baseball bat swooshes) that should sound realistic, and a triangle in the bridge that should sparkle. I got this CD new from an Amazon reseller for US$2.50 - a bargain for testing speakers.
                                                              • Various - "Eclipse: A Journey of Permanence and Impermanence" (Twisted, TWSCD3) - this is a compilation focusing on psychedelic trance and ambient dub. The opening track, Shpongle - "...And The Day Turned To Night" - is a 20min monster full of deep dubby bass, flute, amazing sound effects, and percussion. At about 4:00, the flute line combines with a deep bass line, which is beaut for testing highs and lows. Around 6:00, drums are introduced, which should kick, but the synth should still sound clear and high. Around 8:00, the percussion stops and there's big bass kicks, which should really slam. This track is pure aural candy, but the snaking bass line should always be present, deep in the mix, while the effects should remain high and clear. Many speakers I've tried (especially the B&W 805) can't handle this. The remaining tracks are also good for testing bass extension.
                                                              • Padmasana - "Be Where Now" (from self-titled CD on Dakini Records) - another ambient dub CD, this time from Japan. The opening track has a bass introduction that goes very deep, and on some speakers, this sounds inverted because of lack of extension. There's also other sounds that can be used for clarity tests, such as little bells that ring amidst deep bass.
                                                              • Tori Amos - "Winter EP" - The three b-sides are great tests of female vocals and piano. Tori reaches some lovely high vocals on the Led Zep cover "Thank You", which should not be chesty or dull. There's some good piano tests as well: runs up and down the keyboard, pounding the keys hard, and various thumps on the piano itself. Similarly for her covers of "Angie" and "Smells Like Teen Spirit".
                                                              • Tool - "Lateralus" - Used for testing heavy guitar sounds. There's a lot of bass and dynamics in some tracks, especially the segue from track 5 to track 6. Some speakers (and amps) don't seem to provide enough power to capture the dynamics of this transition.
                                                              • Massive Attack - "Angel" (from "Mezzanine") - this track begins with some very deep rumbling bass. But the bass should still be tight and clear. On some speakers, the bass will be muddled.
                                                              • The Necks - "Aquatic" album (Fish Of Milk records) - only two tracks on this CD, and both are 25min minimalist piano/bass/drum affairs. The acoustic bass goes deep on the opening track, which some speakers don't quite pull off. The piano, when introduced, should sound bright and clear.
                                                              • David Sylvian - "When Poets Dreamed Of Angels" (from "Secrets Of The Beehive") - acoustic bass and vocals, with some very fast acoustic guitar work at the end.
                                                              • Dire Straits - "Private Investigations" (from "Love Over Gold") - the vibes should mimic the acoustic guitar, and the kick drum towards the end is a good test of dynamics.

--Geoff

Jeff...superb..... :T

I too use Diana Krall peel me a grape

again...very nice and thanks for the contribution!

Comment

• gymguymass
                                                                • May 2004

Anything from The Cowboy Junkies, "Trinity Sesssions" is quite good. It is a great recording using 1 or 2 mikes,I belive, that lends a very natural sound to things.

Try songs 5-9 on Dire Straits' "Brothers in Arms" - they did not get the radio play the others did, but they demonstrate quality musicianship.

For hard rock to give the amps and speakers a workout, I concur with others in using tracks from Tool "Lateralus" - pounding drumbeats, chugging bass lines.....

Comment

• Asterduc
                                                                  • Dec 2004

Some of my favorites. Sure there are more analitical songs out there, but these tracks sound so beautifull too.

Spyro Gyra - Hearth of the night (same) The first 30 seconds tell me the speakers bassquality.
                                                                  Acoustic Alchemy - Urban cowboy (Radio contact) Good song, nothing special, good to test how loud the system can go.
                                                                  David Sanborn - comin' home baby (timeagain) Very difficult to play this song properly, especially in the lower mids.
                                                                  Nigel Kennedy - Hongarian dance (Classic) Shut off the light, put CD player on replay and try how many times you can listen to this song. The longer you can hold it, the better system you have.
                                                                  Oscar Peterson - I can't face the music (a tribute to ... live at the town hall) Concentrade also on Niels Henning Oarsted Pedersen's bass. That is few centuries old wood you hear.
                                                                  Dire straights - Money for nothing (brother in arms Remastered) Concentrade on dynamics in the drums first, than the ultimate distorsion on the guitar and finaly the voice. Play loud.
                                                                  Marcus Miller - Scoop (The sun don't lie) Nothing wrong with this song, ... untill Marcus downtunes his MG with a full Octave going 15 Hz on the (downtuned) low B. At least that is how I think he recorded it. He laught when I asked him!!
                                                                  Allan taylor - The beat hotel (Hotels & dreamers) This is an example of the Stockfish records. Listen to it and you buy the whole label. With this recording, every system sounds high-end. Sara K's waterfalls is an identical example.
                                                                  Des'ree - Momma please don't cry (mind adventures) Yeeh, I love here songs so much. Nice details although nothing special, it's just good music in my opinion.
                                                                  Elton John - Belfast (made in England) I played this song many times, 'cause our keyboarder told me once that the strings are not produced by a Keyboard. EJ just hired the whole London Orchestre to play the intro (so he said).
                                                                  Donald Fagen - Trans-Island Skyway (Kamakiriad) This is the best CAR DRIVERS song ever. Play it and you will enjoy your drive.
                                                                  Annie Lennox - Take me to the river (Medusa) One of the greatest popular pop recordings in my opinion
                                                                  Nina Simone - Papa can you hear me. ... in case you might die, this is the ultimate song to be played on the funeral.
                                                                  Anna Caram – Filhos de Gandi (Sunflower time) She is a multitalent. Good music, good details, warm deep bass, enjoyable song(s).
                                                                  Yulara - Uno domini (all is one) My friend doesn't want to go home without listening to this song.
                                                                  M'shell Ndegeocello - Womb (Peace beyond passion) Defenitely my favorit, listen and decide yourself. Not high-end, but she has a recognisable warm voice, good composition and she can play a groove on that bass

Comment

• PewterTA
                                                                    • Nov 2004

While I like a lot of what is mentioned above, I think I'll slightly start going in another direction of musical tastes...

Alice in Chains - Unplugged -- A great live recording, the guitars, bass guitar, and drums all come through extremely well. Layne Staley and Jerry Cantrell's Voices come through with amazing clarity (for what they are). I also like the ambiance of the crowd...fits in perfectly like you have front row seats. :T (which I wish I could've before Layne died). (The DVD video of this performance, the sound is awesome for a DD production).
                                                                    Nirvana - Live in New York -- What can I say, but repeat the above except for Nirvana. The imaging on this CD isn't quite what the Alice in Chains is, but it's still good.
                                                                    Evanescence - Fallen -- What can I say about Amy Lee's voice? One word, 'amazing'. The symphony is perfectly matched and placed behind the music. Imagining is great with some of the effects that they use. The guitars are firmly planted in place on the left and right. But to me, Amy Lee's voice just rings through so clear and well, "eerily" that it just puts chills up your spin.
                                                                    Liquid Tension Experiment 1&2 -- Comprised of the members of the group Dream Theater, these two CDs were writen, recorded, and mastered within a week (second CD was 2 weeks if I remember correctly). There is just so much going on in these CDs that it really shows how well your speaker/setup can react to quick changes and seperating various sounds all at once.
                                                                    Dream Theater - Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence -- Like the recording above you have all the same mix of excellence along with the vocals of James LaBrie (who has amazing range in his voice I might add). This is a great Progressive Rock CD(s) and the few uses of the accoustic guitars will leave you amazed that through a "rock" CD there can be such clarity.
                                                                    Ozzy Osbourne - No More Tears (20-bit Remaster) -- As done like only Ozzy can. The remastering did a wonderful job of really brining out everything this CD has to offer. Ozzy's voice comes through clear and well focused and all the music envelopes around you.
                                                                    Shania Twain - Greatest Hits -- I was really amazed with this CD(s). The songs are powerful and have just the right touch of everything to them. Shania's voice comes through very powerfully, clear, and dynamic. All instruments are well represented on this CD and image very well.

...I have more but I'm at work and will update this later once I get home and look back through all the ones I picked out.

I just figured this thread needed something listed outside the normal "reference" stuff I always see posted.
                                                                    Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                                                                    -Dan

Comment

• Michael Garrott
                                                                      Junior Member
                                                                      • Jul 2004

Live - Throwing Copper. Vocals sound amazing. First few tracks are particularly good.

Comment

• Joelp
                                                                        • Nov 2004

some favorites:

Arne Domnerus - Jazz At the Pawnshop

The Bills - Let Em Run

Melvin Taylor - Dirty pool

Graf Mourja - Le Violon Vagabond

Spaced Out: The Best of Leonard Nimoy and William Shatner
                                                                        (okay, maybe not)

Comment

• David Meek
                                                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                                                          • Aug 2000
                                                                          • 8938

Originally posted by Joelp
                                                                          Spaced Out: The Best of Leonard Nimoy and William Shatner
                                                                          (okay, maybe not)
                                                                          :throwup:

Comment

• basementjack
                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                            • Dec 2004
                                                                            • 191

Almost anything by Yello

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                                                                              Moderator
                                                                              • Sep 2001
                                                                              • 3161

#39
                                                                              Originally posted by Joelp
                                                                              some favorites:

Arne Domnerus - Jazz At the Pawnshop

The Bills - Let Em Run

Melvin Taylor - Dirty pool

Graf Mourja - Le Violon Vagabond
                                                                              Originally posted by basementjck
                                                                              Almost anything by Yello
                                                                              Could you guys give us an idea why these particular performers/albums/songs hit a responsive chord with you? What makes them your "reference" songs? (No explanation needed on "The Best of Leonard Nimoy and William Shatner ". No doubt, their singing goes where no one has gone before.) :>)

Thanks,

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• 8thDwarf
                                                                                Member
                                                                                • Feb 2005
                                                                                • 57

#40
                                                                                Certainly many,many faves listed on this thread.
                                                                                Here's a great 1 disc reference I've not seen mentioned yet.

~Herbie Hancock "Gershwins World"~1998 Verve

This one disc contains ;Liquid sound,clean fast sound, hyper detail,complex arrangments,dual piano,scads of macro and micro dynamics,wide extension top and bottom,intrumental solos,vocal,instrumentals.Plenty of acoustic instruments.
                                                                                Piano,Piano w/chamber orchestra,vocal M/F(Joni Mitchell,Stevie Wonder),harmonica,all types of percussion,alto sax,tenor sax
                                                                                soprano sax,trumpet,guitar,upright bass,drums,
                                                                                some standouts...
                                                                                Short opener track piano,talking drum,various percussion.Walk into it depth and layering punctuated with scattered detailed fast percussive strokes.
                                                                                Well done solo piano track(Herbie) and dual pianos system torture test( Herbie and Chick Corea.)
                                                                                2 tracks,piano(Herbie) backed by Orpheus chamber orchestra.10 violins,3 violas,2 oboes,2 horns,2 flutes,2 clarinets,4 cellos,2 bassons,and a bass....Complexity test.
                                                                                Track 5 is only caveat,botched low end.
                                                                                Just a wonderful pop this in to evaluate gear and speakers disc!

The rest of the disc is excellent to check most aspects of great performance.
                                                                                Track 1;piano/various percussion is liquid,multi layered and has outstanding depth.

Comment

• denverdoc
                                                                                  Member
                                                                                  • Aug 2004
                                                                                  • 66

#41
                                                                                  One could add to the list indefinitely--I will therefore add only one: Tin Pan Alley from Couldn't Stand the Weather by Stevie Ray--very well recorded and capable of stressing system dynamically.

But as in more of the general advice category, be aware of taking only good sounding material that has an emotional grab. Take along some poorly or at least mediocre recordings and a few recordings you have but for some reason rarely play. Strange advice I know, but unless you plan on playing only premium recordings, you might be very disappointed with how the vast majority of stuff will sound through your new system. Thats it: 30 years of chasing the grail and as many thousands of dollars spent on speakers distilled into a few words.
                                                                                  John

Comment

• basementjack
                                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                                    • Dec 2004
                                                                                    • 191

#42
                                                                                    Burke -

I love the Yello CD's becuase they are so unique. Nearly everyone knows them for their "Oh-Yeah" song that was on the Ferris beuhler soundtrack, and I think the twix commercial. What you don't get to hear in those renditions is the 3 dimensional space that the music/sounds come from. Nor the dynamics, nor the whole audio specutrum from clear deep bass to punchy percussion. What most people also don't know is they've got 20 years worth of interesting material, and are still at it today.

Each Yello CD has a theme to it, that you can hear across the tracks, yet each album is different. I would equate them to a modern day Pink Floyd. (I would keep the Yello collection over the wall and Dark Side of the moon)

Comment

• fordster
                                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                                      • Feb 2005
                                                                                      • 211

#43
                                                                                      Great thread I like to know what other people use as reference material and it can introduce you to music you'll love but never heard before. I have a set of CD's I tend to use when demoing new kit. Some of it is stuff I'm listening to at the time, some is favourites that I have a clear idea of how I like it to sound and some is music I own but don't listen to much anymore but find useful for comparing systems. I can't remember everything I use but here's some of it:

Joss Stone (Mindy Body and Soul or Soul Sessions) - numerous tracks including Super Duper Love, Some Kind of Wonderful, The Chokin' Kind, Less is More, Young at Heart and Snakes and Ladders. I find the second album to be slightly over produced so it takes a good system to inject the raw vocal quality that is so apparent on the first album. Joss has a wonderful voice which has not yet been fully exploited.

The Gladiator Soundtrack - Man, I love this CD no matter what mood I'm in. It takes a good system to pick up the extra subtle details that get missed due to their low volume. It's hard to pick a single track as they are all great tests of a system.

Sean Paul (Dutty Rock) - Most tracks but especially the Busta Rhymes remix of Gimme the Light for checking system timing. This track should be ultra fast and in your face with bass lines feeling like you've been slapped. On a slow, warm system it totally ruins the effect.

Utlimate Acoustic (various artists) - great for testing the systems vocal reproduction. I tend to use Sunrise (Norah Jones), Trouble (Coldplay) and Thank You (Dido). I love the Dido song and have a very definite idea of how I like this song to sound. I once borrowed some interconnects from a friend and was horrified at what it dod to my system when listening to Dido!

Nina Simone (Feeling Good) - female vocalists don't come any better than Nina Simone in my humble opinion. This CD is a greatest hits combination and I just love the raw emotion of tracks such as Sinner Man and Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood.
                                                                                      Dave

Comment

• Pieter
                                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                                        • Jan 2005
                                                                                        • 219

#44
                                                                                        David, I'll second that Nina Simone CD, especially "Sinner Man".

Amazing how they miked that song, capturing not only Nina and the other musicians brilliantly, but the acoustic space as well. The vintage of the recording makes you wonder where most modern recordings go astray.

Love the sound of that double-bass way off to the right and Nina jamming on the piano. There's a patch where she thumps out the time on the body of the piano, not sure whether it's with her hand, foot, elbow or knee, could even be her head but it is a distinct and boxy sound.

Great song with a lot of energy and drive. You can feel Nina and the musicians enjoying themselves, it should be that palpable.

Rest of the CD is wonderful too. :T

Comment

• benny
                                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                                          • Jan 2005
                                                                                          • 112

#45
                                                                                          -I like to use "YYZ" from the Mo-Fi edition of Moving Pictures. The drum fills show off the width and depth of the sounstage pretty quick. Also, the keyboards should really sound layered on top of everything else.

-John Coltrane "Black Pearls", JVC XRCD

Comment

Working...
                                                                                          😀
                                                                                          😂
                                                                                          🥰
                                                                                          😘
                                                                                          🤢
                                                                                          😎
                                                                                          😞
                                                                                          😡
                                                                                          👍
                                                                                          👎
                                                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                          Search Result for "|||"