This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bob
    • Jul 2000

A few days ago I stopped by one of my favorite audio dealers to see if he wanted to take a bike ride this weekend. I saw that he had a pile of unopened boxes from Acoustic Sounds that had just arrived and asked him if I could dig through them.
    In one of them I found about a dozen records in unmarked black covers and asked him what they were. His eyes lit up and he said, " I forgot that I ordered those, you have to have one."
    "Have what?", I asked.
    "Satchmo's St. James Infirmary 45 on 200 gram vinyl", say's he.
    "You mean Satchmo Plays King Oliver, don't you?", say's I.
    "No, just a 45 of St. James Infirmary", say's he.

Now, I'm telling anyone that has a turntable, "You must have this album!"
    It is by leaps and bounds the best recorded peice of vinyl I have ever heard. You will swear that Louis Armstrong is in your room. I took out my copy of Satchmo Plays King Oliver and did a back to back comparison, there is no comparison.

Everybody likes to have at least one reference peice for each medium they have to show their friends. One great cd, dvd, etc. This is the one for vinyl, plus, unlike many reference peices it is a great song that will make you want to hear it over and over. Of course, don't do that. It is true that repeat playing of a record without rest can flatten the gooves by overheating the vinyl, or at least, that's what I have heard. Which is where the rumor comes from that vinyl wears out with repeat playing.

Maybe you should buy two, just in case. I already have two more on order that I will put aside with my other favorite unopened records, stored just in case something happens to the one that I normally play.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2001

Wow, that was some find, Bob. I have a few different lps where Satchmo does St. James Infirmary and I love the piece.
      My Homepage!

Comment

• Bob
        • Jul 2000

I have always liked it on the King Oliver album but, this 45 is so much better. I don't know who engineered it but, they did one heck of a job. It really does come in a plain black jacket with no information on it.

Comment

• xunvala
          • Mar 2005

Anyone heard Luciano Pavarotti's Ti Adoro?

Comment

• Bobby T
            • Mar 2005

Hi, new here but would like to contribute. There is a lot of great music mentioned, most of which I have and use. I would like to add 2 CDs by the Trans Siberian Orchestra
            Christmass Eve And Other Stories
            The Lost Christmass Eve
            I can't say enough about how good these are especially if your a Dream Theater fan. Progressive rock styled christmass music that's very well done. I recently drew the entire sales staff at my local dealer into the room listening to The Lost Christmass Eve on Paradigm speakers.

Comment

• GCSFAMILY
              • Dec 2004

A Few more

Golden Earring----Moontan

Soundtrack from Toys

Genesis--Abacab

Thriller

Telearc---Time Warp

Rotary Connection

Blues Project

Comment

• june
                • Feb 2005

JOE SAMPLE featuring LALAH HATHAWAY!!!!

If you listen to smooth jazz, this CD is a must. Every track!!!!!

june
                Last edited by june; 30 March 2005, 11:34 Wednesday.
                June
                "IF YOU FAIL TO PLAN, YOU PLAN TO FAIL"

Comment

• junior77blue
                  • Nov 2004

Best online store (price/selection/service) to pickup SACD/DVD-A?

Comment

• benny
                    • Jan 2005

try www.towermusic.com. they have a lot of stuff at good prices...

Comment

• hired goon
                      • Aug 2004

G'day,

Originally posted by junior77blue
                      Best online store (price/selection/service) to pickup SACD/DVD-A?
                      I've just ordered my first SACD, from www.acousticsounds.com. Prices seemed reasonable, though I haven't received my order yet.

Update: My order arrived yesterday, one week US to Australia, contents well-packaged and undamaged, so I would recommend this store.

I know some people who recommend www.elusivedisc.com (I would have used elusivedisc, but they were out of stock for the SACDs I wanted). Or you could try amazon.com, for the popular stuff.

... and I had a listen to Trans Siberian Orchestra, as recommended above. Oh dear. I like heavy metal, and I like ye olde traditional Xmas carols, but this combination was somewhat disappointing, IMHO. I think the cheezy keyboards on a number of tracks killed it for me. Though most of the instrumentals and guitar playing were good, I couldn't help but think of Spinal Tap on more than a few occasions. It was a bit bombastic and 80s at times. But if that's yer thang, then cool.

"You're a naughty one, Saucy Jack..."

--Geoff
                      Last edited by hired goon; 29 March 2005, 18:51 Tuesday. Reason: Updated as SACD order has arrived.

Comment

• Pieter
                        • Jan 2005

Not a song recommendation, but one for the entire album: Talking Heads - Stop Making Sense.

Why can't all other pop albums be produced to sound like this one: punchy, clear and dynamic. Great 80's pop with a huge sense of fun to boot.

My speakers are shy on bass, but what's coming through on this album is awesome. Can only think what it whould sound like on something like a set of 802's...

Give this CD a whirl, and if it doesn't get your feet tapping, your hands slapping and your legs thumping...Well, your wife will be wheeling you out, 'cos you're either deaf, dead or paralysed.

P.S. Perhaps you're not dead, but have an all inclusive aversion to 80's pop bordering on the fanatical...Then I suggest you get it as "Music to Test Hi-Fi By" and see if you can get those woofers to dangle by their internal wiring... outside the box.

Comment

• brendon
                          • Aug 2004

Hi Pieter.This is definately one of my all time favorite live albums.I recently bought the DVD of the stop making sense film and its a must have for fans and is rated one of the best live concert films of all times.
                          Brendon

Comment

• Pieter
                            • Jan 2005

Brendon,
                            When I'm rigged for video I'll get the DVD...still a while though.

Comment

• PewterTA
                              • Nov 2004

I think one CD that is always on the lists for Reference quality is Jesse Cook - Gravity. It's a spanish, pop, newage, crazy mix. Basically three acoustic guitars and other various instruments. It gives you a feeling like you should be watching Desperado (or something). ha ha.

But if you can't hear every single note strummed on the guitars, you need a new system. Amazing fidelity to the disc.

I wasn't sure about this one, but I've listenened to it through once and it kept my interest, so I'm sure the second time it will get better. It's nice to have no words and just feel like there's 4 or 5 guys performing right in front of you.
                              Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                              -Dan

Comment

• Spearmint
                                • Sep 2004

A couple of albums I have been listening to of late (dragged them out of the archives) are “Tony Joe White – Lake Placid Blues & One Hot July” both great albums IMO although I more prefer the gutsy “One Hot July” for critical listening as it has more dynamics, whereas “Lake Placid Blues” is more laid back.

Either album is excellent IMO from the subtle keyboard to his deep vocals and brilliant guitar work throughout.
                                Richard

"Sometimes it is easier to ask forgiveness than to get permission... "

Comment

• Patt
                                  • Feb 2005

Roger Waters/Amused to Death

Herbie Hancock/Head Hunters

Mickey Hart/Planet Drums

Blue Man Group
                                  Last edited by Patt; 12 May 2005, 16:32 Thursday. Reason: typo
                                  ......Pat

Comment

• PewterTA
                                    • Nov 2004

Another CD (well actually almost all of his CDs) I was completely surprised about was Dave Matthews Band "Crash". I was completely amazed by this album (and his other ones) and how good they sound and how much information is so clearly put onto his CDs. I definitely consider this a reference CD for myself and is now into the demoing process for any gear I buy.
                                    Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                                    -Dan

Comment

• martino
                                      • Aug 2004

Many tracks from Genesis "Lamb lies down on Broadway...In the Cage, Fly in a windshield, back in NYC

also

A few on Jeff Buckly Grace...Lilac Wine...etc..

anything on Elton John SACD's...Honky Chateau, Madman....

Cheers

Martin

Comment

• taxman48
                                        • May 2003

Music to try out my new amp

Great thread!! Was wondering if I could narrow down the equipment and ask about choices for breaking in my new Parasound Classic 2125 amp.. I was starting with some ZZ Top then go to Dire Straits..etc thanks a newbie ;x(

Comment

• Andrew M Ward
                                          • Apr 2005

A portion of my list

Brecker Brothers: King of the Lobby

Adrian Belew: Adidas in Heat

Dada: Suround Me

The Band: Cripple Creek

Cockteau Twins: Blue Beard

Comment

• David Meek
                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                            • Aug 2000

Nice amp! :T

How 'bout some:

Def Leppard, Hysteria: Rocket, Pour Some Sugar On Me
                                            Eagles, Hotel California: Hotel California, Try And Love Again
                                            Pink Floyd, The Division Bell: anything on the album
                                            Richie Sambora, Stranger In Town: anything on this one, too

These should get you rockin'.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Cyclesberuff
                                              • Jun 2005

These are the Cd's that caused me to look for stereo heaven

For instruments accoustic: Jorma Koukenan, Leo Kottke Tony Furtado Allman Brothers 1st & 2nd Set Live

For Electric Guitar: Santana, Roy Buchanan, Danny Gatton, Junior Brown

For Vocal: Ella Fitzgerald, Sarah Vaughn, Candye Kane, Zap Mama, 4 Non Blonds
                                              The Mavericks, John Hendricks, Mel Torme

The List goes on and on... for me a sign of a great artist is, no matter how familiar you are with a paticular recording, each and every time you listen to them you always pick up something new. Thanks for letting me share!

Comment

• Bam!
                                                Super Senior Member
                                                • Jan 2004

...I have to add

I recently heard and then purchased Harry Belafonte on vinyl. It is a 1959 recording. It is called Belafonte at Carnegie Hall.

The song Matilda will literally send chills up your spine.
                                                Got a nice rack to show me ?

Comment

• David Meek
                                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                                  • Aug 2000

Nice coincidence. I was my favorite local hi-fi dealer a couple of months ago picking up my TT after having it serviced. They told me that they had another Horizon set up in one of the listening rooms with a new cartridge and I should try it out. Walked in and there sat a copy of the same album. I just had to put it on and listen for a while. Can Belafonte sing, or what? :T

Comment

• Bam!
                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                    • Jan 2004

David

He sure can sing! The best part is that this is a monoaural recording and for me it is the recording to bring them live in your living room.

Also, I managed to get a Nina Simone on vinyl. Wild is the Wind, for me it is one of her best along with Little girl blue. That woman can emotionally drain you as a listener!

...and it really shows when you hear the piano on vinyl vs redbook...totally different game.
                                                    Got a nice rack to show me ?

Comment

• Pieter
                                                      • Jan 2005

Steve, I'm beginning to think your AVATAR does not show you flipping sausage on a barbie, but laying down a tone arm on a vinyl deck.

Comment

• Scriffer
                                                        • Oct 2005

Couldn't resist getting in on this:

Hurt - Johnny Cash - Love to hear it sound like he's right there in the room with you. Any system that can make his voice resonate is ok in my book.

Blue Train - John Coltrane - Hardly need to explain this one since it's such an amazing track, so I'll let just leave it at that.

Intro on Get a Grip - Aerosmith - Great if you've got a bangin' system, and you just want to see what it can do. (Totally doesn't count as a "reference" track though)

Inspiration - Gypsy Kings - Requires a great deal of precision out of the system in reproducing the clarity of the Spanish guitar.

Symphony No. 3 - Mahler (Dallas Symphony recording) - Tough test of soundstaging with all the solos. Also one of my favorite all-time compositions.

Bron-Yr-Aur Stomp - Zeppelin - This track has brilliant acoustic guitar work, and some good basic harmonies in the vocals.

Going to California - Zeppelin - My favorite song of all time, so it must be included in any testing.

I've Got You Under my Skin (live) - Diana Krall - Along with Sarah MacClachlan(sp?), one of my favorite tests of female vocals.

Ants Marching - Dave Matthews - Good mix of instrumentation and detailed guitar work.

Ballroom Blitz - Sweet - Just kidding.

I still have a fairly untrained ear, but like anything else, practice makes perfect. I'll definitely be using some of the previously suggested tracks in the future.

Comment

• Nov 2005

HI All,
                                                          Wow, what a great thread. Thanks. You have inspired me to put a list together. One thing of interest in this thread is the lack of classical music mentions. In a way I understand because it's fairly rare to get overpowering bass on classical recordings, especially on vinyl and vinyl reissue CD's. There are exceptions like the 1812 Overture and many others but they are not common. But no organ music? Hmmmmmmm. It seems we do not have many classical music fans on this forum. And what about Sheffield's stuff like the Track Record and the Drum Record among others? I have both of these on vinyl and they are available on CD; real speaker busters and great sound.

We can't forget Mickey Hart's Planet Drum. Food for your sub.

My problem is that most of my best stuff is on vinyl. But I do have a collection of CD's I take to audition sessions. I'll have to get busy.

Sparky
                                                          Last edited by Karma; 28 January 2006, 19:24 Saturday.

Comment

• David Meek
                                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                                            • Aug 2000

I came across an old favorite I'd forgotten about. It's Joe Walsh's Help Me Through The Night - track 7 on So What and track 3 on The Best Of Joe Walsh. It may not be the ultimate "reference" song, but it resonates with me and that brings it back as one of my references.

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                                                              • Sep 2001

One thing of interest in this thread is the lack of classical music mentions. In a way I understand because it's fairly rare to get overpowering bass on classical recordings
                                                              While it is true that folks are missing out on some of the most enjoyable music in the world if they don't take the time to explore the rich and rewarding catalog of music lableled "classical", I also hope that "reference" means more to us than just thundering bass. In my opinion, the real test of a system is not just its ability to crack the house foundation (although I think my sub could do that if I let it). :>)

Rather, "reference" means its ability to faithfully reproduce the subtle nuances of a musical performance, allowing the listener to distinguish between instruments and their location on the soundstage as well as hear their individual tonal colors, making it seem like the listener is in the same space as the performers. That's why I suggested Charles Ives' "Three Places in New England" and Gustav Mahler's "Des Knaben Wunderhorn" earlier in the thread in addition to some well recorded pop performances. Playing selections like that, you'll find out what your system is really capable of besides getting complaints from the neighbors. :>)

That said, if you want to enjoy a spectacularly entertaining pipe organ performance that really will rattle the rafters, try Reference Recording's "Pomp & Pipes" (RR-58 HDCD).

Click image for larger version

Name:	RR%2058s.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	12.2 KB
ID:	948391

POMP & PIPES!
                                                              "The Absolute Sound Super Disc List"
                                                              A sonic spectacular featuring the giant Fisk pipe organ in the Meyerson Symphony Center. A heart-stopping sonic experience in powerful HDCD sound! "...The finest wind ensemble collection I've heard in years...The demonstration-class sound...has to be heard to be believed...A no-brainer on my Want List." --Fanfare
                                                              While the whole album is very well produced and highly listenable, a really "way-out" selection is the 4th track, "Fenlands: Vikings", which someone locally has described as "Klingon music". It's definatley not a lullaby. :>)

Burke
                                                              Last edited by theSven; 18 August 2023, 10:02 Friday. Reason: Update image location

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• Chris D
                                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                                • Dec 2000

Hey, Burke, do you have a link to this "Absolute Sound Super Disc List"? Those things always interest me.
                                                                CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                                                                - Pleasantville

Comment

• Chris D
                                                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                                                  • Dec 2000

Funny... I'm about to do an internet search for "Pipes and Bombs" I'll start the stopwatch to see how long it takes the FBI to come knock on my door.

(edit... maybe I misread that... did the title change to "pomp and pipes"?)
                                                                  CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Nov 2005

HI Burke,
                                                                    I couldn't agree more which begs the question of why not more classical references? In truth, rock and roll sound is as artificial as it gets. I don't use rock albums very much for audition purposes for that reason. Don't misunderstand. I love rock and roll. I just don't think it is good audition music. I have heard some exceptions like Ry Cooder or The Who's "Tommy" (one of my favorites). Pink Floyds "Dark Side of the Moon" ain't bad either.

IMHO, a symphony orchestra is the most difficult instrument to reproduce on a home sound system. Next to that is the piano. Then the human voice with all of its subtilty.

I have different types of recordings that demonstrate different aspects of the things I am looking for in reporduction. I assume everyone does the same thing. For example, the female singing voice is high on my priority list. Thus, Shirley Horn's (with MIles Davis) "You'll Never Forget Me" gets used a lot. Or Rickie Lee Jones "Pop Pop". Stereo imaging is very important to me. Here is where the symphony orchestra is hard to beat. Also jazz recordings of small groups can allow one to determine the precision and accuracy of the sound stage.

I think rock and roll and pure synthesized music teaches me the least about the characteristics of a sound system. But to each his own. BTW, I love bass so synthesized music gets used strictly for the bass content. But it's hard to beat a large pipe organ to find out how well your subs and room perform.

So, I use a variety of music for audition purposes with an emphasis on symphonic and and jazz recordings.

BTW, today I found a German import version of Jennifer Warns "Famous Blue Raincoat" ($25.00 !!) which is out of print in the US. I have several vinyl copies but by the time I got around to buying the CD version it was not available. I'm very excited to get this fantastic recording which is a collection of Leonard Cohen songs, with beautiful, sparse, arrangements, sung by Jennifer and joined by Cohen on several cuts. Terrific demo stuff and terrific music. That's always a nice combination. If "Joan of Arc" doesn't bring tears to your eyes you are made out of stone.

Sparky

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                                                                      • Sep 2001

BTW, today I found a German import version of Jennifer Warns "Famous Blue Raincoat" ($25.00 !!) which is out of print in the US.
                                                                      Hey Sparky, glad you like that one -- I had to special order an imported copy as well. It is a very special album, worth the expense and the wait to get. I agree that her rendition of "Joan of Arc" (alternating verses with Leonard Cohen) has a lot of emotional appeal. And the instrumental accompanyment has a bit of bass as well. :>)

Seems like we share similar tastes in music (except maybe for Ricky Lee Jones, but we can discuss that some other time). Since you appreciate interesting performances of Leonard Cohen songs, perhaps you would like Patricia O'Callaghan's "Real Emotional Girl". Although not every song on it is by LC, enough are to "make a statement". She has kind of an operatic voice, but it still works well with the pop-oriented material she covers on that album.

Burke

Comment

• Nov 2005

HI Burke,
                                                                        It's a small world sometimes. I lived in Houston for 11 years during the Apollo program and really got my start in audio there. Boy, does that age me or what?

Ricky Lee Jones, what can I say???? She is unique. Not the same as but as unique as Joni Mitchel. Often, I don't like her stuff at all. But I think "Pop, Pop" is great and has really excellent demo cuts for imaging and vocal detail. Plus, I like the material and arrangements. It's her best album, or at least my favorite. As usual, the vinyl release is sonically better than the CD. I generally like Joni ("Blue" and many others) much more. She is a musical genius, IMO.

BTW, on "Joan of Arc", there is a section where Jennifer and Leonard sing in duet. If your system can spacially separate the two very closely coupled voices, especially in the depth dimension, you are doing well. Most systems cannot pull this off.

Jeez, I keep editing this post and it keeps getting longer. It's nice to converse with someone with similar tastes.

I just wanted to mention an album that I don't think many are familiar with. It is the soundtrack album for the movie "Kun Din" by Philip Glass of minimalist fame. Kun Din is the biography of the Dali Lama. The sountrack is a mixture of Budhist temple music and Glasses original compositions as only Glass can do it. You might want to check it out. Wonderful stuff.

Sparky

Comment

• Chris D
                                                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                                                          • Dec 2000
                                                                          • 16877

Burke, do you have a link to this "Absolute Sound Super Disc List"?
                                                                          CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                                                                            Moderator
                                                                            • Sep 2001
                                                                            • 3161

do you have a link to this "Absolute Sound Super Disc List"?
                                                                            Not directly. As you probably already know, "The Absolute Sound" is a sort-of-monthly h-fi publication, and they include the list every so often in their printed newstand magazine. While they have a website and offer a lot of content from their publication online, they charge a fee to download most of their stuff. Since that makes it a business which does not advertise here, I'm not sure the rules would allow posting a link to their site. But they are easy to find with Google and they list the contents of back issues on their site so you kind of know what you are getting if you choose to pay to download one of them.

Burke

Comment

• Chris D
                                                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                                                              • Dec 2000
                                                                              • 16877

#83
                                                                              Ah, makes sense. Perhaps you could share some of the other stuff they put on the list? I'd like to make a purchase soon to increase my high-res audio collection.
                                                                              CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Glen B
                                                                                Super Senior Member
                                                                                • Jul 2004
                                                                                • 1106

#84
                                                                                Originally posted by Burke Strickland
                                                                                While it is true that folks are missing out on some of the most enjoyable music in the world if they don't take the time to explore the rich and rewarding catalog of music lableled "classical", I also hope that "reference" means more to us than just thundering bass. In my opinion, the real test of a system is not just its ability to crack the house foundation (although I think my sub could do that if I let it). :>)

Rather, "reference" means its ability to faithfully reproduce the subtle nuances of a musical performance, allowing the listener to distinguish between instruments and their location on the soundstage as well as hear their individual tonal colors, making it seem like the listener is in the same space as the performers.

That said, if you want to enjoy a spectacularly entertaining pipe organ performance that really will rattle the rafters, try Reference Recording's "Pomp & Pipes" (RR-58 HDCD).

Burke
                                                                                I second that. Another great classical reference recording is Mussorgsky's "Pictures at an Exhibition," transcribed for pipe organ by organist Jean Guillou on the Dorian Recordings label (DOR-90117). This recording was/is a Stereophile Magazine reviewer favorite and has notes on certain tracks that go as low as 16Hz, courtesy of the 32-foot pipes of the Kleuker-Steinmeyer organ of The Tonhalle, Switzerland where the recording was made.
                                                                                Attached Files
                                                                                Last edited by Glen B; 30 January 2006, 14:32 Monday.

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                                                                                  Moderator
                                                                                  • Sep 2001
                                                                                  • 3161

#85
                                                                                  Chris -- here's a sampling of what the Absolute Sound Super Disc List contains. The first nine happen to be from Reference Recordings. I own copies of some of them (*), and can attest to their high quality.

(*) REVERIES "The Absolute Sound Super Disc List"
                                                                                  Relaxing,beloved classics by Debussy, Satie, Ravel, Faurè, Tchaikovsky, Sibelius and more, beautifully played by one of America’s great orchestras. A balm for jangled nerves, and excellent music for unwinding and dining! The pace of the human heartbeat so appealed to the composers on this program that they harnessed their music to it. Yet they produced orchestral statements of such variety that a listener might not immediately discern their similar pace, which is described by the musical term “andante,” or walking tempo. A departure, then, for RR and “Prof.” Johnson, whose spacious and transparent sonic textures play large dividends in string-based orchestral music of such clarity and refinement.
                                                                                  RR-99 HDCD

(*) EIJI OUE / MINNESOTA ORCHESTRA
                                                                                  COPLAND 100
                                                                                  "The Absolute Sound Bakers Dozen--HP's Top Thirteen"
                                                                                  Celebrate the 100th Anniversary of the birth of America's favorite composer! EIJI OUE displays a real affinity for three Copland masterpieces: Fanfare for the Common Man, Appalachian Spring Suite and the magnificent Third Symphony, all recorded in "Prof." Johnson's most exciting HDCD sound!
                                                                                  EIJI OUE / MINNESOTA ORCHESTRA
                                                                                  RR-93 HDCD

(*) BOLERO!-- orchestral fireworks
                                                                                  GRAMMY NOMINATION
                                                                                  Ravel's BOLERO is the most-recognizable piece of orchestral music ever written. Its hypnotic melodies, rhythms and brilliant orchestral colors have insured its popularity with audiences everywhere. Now "Prof." Johnson has made the HDCD recording of BOLERO that RR fans have been waiting for, as the finale of a generous program of orchestral showpieces. Included are favorites by Liszt, Brahms, Dvorak, Berlioz, Chabrier -- and rarities by Kabalevsky, Deems Taylor, Dinicu, Jarnefelt and -- yes -- the famous conductor Otto Klemperer!
                                                                                  RR-92 HDCD

DOMINICK ARGENTO:
                                                                                  Valentino Dances
                                                                                  Dominick Argento is America’s pre-eminent opera composer, and a creator of vocal, choral and orchestral music that places him in the top rank of living composers. This significant new release presents WORLD PREMIERE recordings of five important Argento works, all closely associated with the Minnesota Orchestra: VALENTINO DANCES, a suite from the opera "The Dream of Valentino"featuring accordionist William Schimmel of The Tango Project; REVERIE, REFLECTIONS ON A HYMN TUNE; LE TOMBEAU D'EDGAR POE, a suite from the opera "The Voyage of Edgar Allan Poe," featuring tenor Chad Shelton; VALSE TRISTE; and A RING OF TIME.
                                                                                  RR-91 HDCD

(*) LEONARD BERNSTEIN:
                                                                                  Premiere Recordings!
                                                                                  The overture and a new suite from CANDIDE, and orchestrations of FIVE SONGS, with mezzo Beth Clayton. Three Meditations from MASS feature cellist Anthony Ross, and this unusual program ends with the whimsical, rousing DIVERTIMENTO FOR ORCHESTRA. "...one of the finest recordings I've ever heard." --Al Fasoldt, Fanfare"
                                                                                  RR-87 HDCD

RICHARD STRAUSS
                                                                                  Ein Heldenleben; "Die Frau ohne Schatten" Suite
                                                                                  A HERO'S LIFE! Never one to shirk admiration, Strauss wrote a gigantic tone poem in his own honor. His opera THE WOMAN WITHOUT A SHADOW is full of brilliant orchestral interludes.
                                                                                  Erich Leinsdorf's suite is given a stunning performance in its first digital recording!
                                                                                  RR-83 HDCD

MEPHISTO & CO.
                                                                                  Ghosts, goblins, spirits and demons run amok in this program of infernal orchestral favorites: MEPHISTO WALTZ (Liszt), NIGHT ON BALD MOUNTAIN (Mussorgsky), TAM O' SHANTER (Arnold) and many more in an explosive witches' brew!
                                                                                  RR-82 HDCD

(*) PORTS OF CALL
                                                                                  A hi-fi travelogue of popular tone poems, including Tchaikovsky's Capriccio italien, The Moldau by Smetana, and a blistering performance of Sibleius' Finlandia. The incredible realism of these recordings will transport you from Minneapolis' Orchestra Hall to the far corners of the world and back again!
                                                                                  RR-80 HDCD

STANISLAW SKROWACZEWSKI and the MINNESOTA ORCHESTRA
                                                                                  BRUCKNER:Symphony No. 9
                                                                                  Skrowaczewski,the Minnesota Orchestra's Conductor Emeritus, is renowned as an interpreter of the profoundly spiritual, late-Romantic scores of Anton Bruckner. He brings a rare insight and sense of drama to the three movements of the Viennese master's unfinished Ninth Symphony.
                                                                                  "A powerful, sweeping and noble performance." --Minneapolis Star-Tribune
                                                                                  RR-81 HDCD

Here are some of their Super SACD List:

Paavo Jarvi - Ravel: Suite No. 2 from Daphnis et Chloe
                                                                                  Following their critically acclaimed recording of Prokofiev’s Romeo and Juliet suites, Paavo Jarvi and the...
                                                                                  Format: Hybrid Multichannel SACD
                                                                                  Label: Telarc

(*) Paavo Jarvi - Stravinsky: The Rite Of Spring/Nielsen: Symphony No. 5
                                                                                  Following their critically acclaimed recording of the music of Maurice Ravel, Paavo Jarvi and the Cincinnati Symphony...
                                                                                  Retail Price

Parkanyi Quartet - Ravel & Debussy: String Quartets
                                                                                  This record is dedicated to the frequent association of two French scores, gems from "la Belle Epoque"
                                                                                  Label: Praga

Peter Wispelwey - Tchaikovsky/ Saint-Saens/ Bruch
                                                                                  I still find it striking that when we are asked for a typically romantic cello concerto, we think immediately of Dvorak,... Product No: CCCS M16501 SA
                                                                                  Label: Channel Classics

Pieces of a Dream - Love's Silhouette
                                                                                  Recently celebrating their 25th Anniversary, Pieces of a Dream releases Love's Silhouette, the legendary group's first SACD...

(*) Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
                                                                                  This marks the first time Pink Floyd's seminal recording will be presented in full 5.1 surround sound
                                                                                  Label: EMI

Robert Spano - Higdon: City Scape & Concerto for Orchestra This product has sound samples!
                                                                                  2005 Grammy Awards:
                                                                                  Best Engineered Album, Classical...

(*)Robert Spano - Rainbow Body
                                                                                  Robert Spano is recognized internationally as one of America’s outstanding conductors, acclaimed for leading vital and distinquished performances as well as for the breadth of repertoire he explores and his consistently imaginative programming. Throughout his career, he has conducted nearly every major North American orchestra. His recordings include Rimsky-Korsakov’s Scheherazade, Russian Easter Overture and the critically acclaimed and three-time Grammy Award winner, Vaughan Williams’ A Sea Symphony.

(*) Robert Spano - Vaughan Williams: A Sea Symphony
                                                                                  2003 Grammy Winner
                                                                                  ~ Best Engineered Album, Classical, Michael Bishop

Sam Cooke - Sam Cooke at the Copa
                                                                                  Recorded live at the Copacabana in New York City on July 7th and 8th in 1964.
                                                                                  "...generates a lot of voltage... "
                                                                                  Format: Hybrid Stereo SACD
                                                                                  Label: Abkco

Seiji Ozawa - New Year's Concert 2002
                                                                                  Label: Philips

The Erik Westberg Vocal Ensemble - Across The Bridge Of Hope
                                                                                  The Erik Westberg Vocal Ensemble was founded 1993 and consists of 16 voices.
                                                                                  Label: Opus 3

Various Artists - Music From the Miramax Motion Picture Chicago
                                                                                  Chicago: The Soundtrack is the ultimate souvenir of the instant-classic film that won six Academy Awards...
                                                                                  Format: Single Layer Multichannel SACD
                                                                                  Label: Sony

Warren Bernhardt w/Jay Anderson & Peter Erskine - So Real
                                                                                  So Real consists of nine tunes all of which were first takes except for Autumn Leaves which was the second take...
                                                                                  Label: DMP

Yakov Kreizberg - Dvorak: Symphony No. 9 — Tchaikovsky: Romeo and Juliet/Yakov Kreizberg/Netherlands Philharmonic Orchestra Amsterdam This product has sound samples!
                                                                                  It could have been a slogan from a TV-commercial: “the most versatile orchestra in the country,” ...
                                                                                  Label: Pentatone

Anthony Newman - Music for Organ, Brass and Timpani
                                                                                  A pure DSD recording from Sonoma Records. Produced by 12-time Grammy award winner Steven Epstein and engineered by Richard King, Music for Organ, Brass and Timpani was recorded and post-produced entirely in the DSD domain on a Sonoma Workstation.
                                                                                  Label: Sonoma

Andrew Manze - Vivaldi: Concertos for the Emperor
                                                                                  Andrew Manze, leading The English Concert in their second recording together, demonstrates the electrifying, spontaneous...
                                                                                  Label: Harmonia Mundi

Dame Gillian Weir - Poulenc: Concerto for Organ
                                                                                  There can be no better way to highlight the potential of Super Audio surround sound than with an organ recital.
                                                                                  Label: Linn

Donald Runnicles - Carl Orff: Carmina Burana
                                                                                  Carl Orff's Carmina Burana. Donald Runnicles conducts the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra & Chorus. ...

E. Power Biggs - Bach: The Four Great Toccatas and Fugues - The Four Antiphonal Organs of the Cathedral of Freiburg
                                                                                  The four antiphonal organs of the Cathedral of Freiburg played simultaneously by E. Power Biggs.
                                                                                  Label: Sony

Empire Brass Quintet - Baroque Music for Brass and Organ
                                                                                  This spectacular collection of organ and brass works features some of the most popular works for these instruments....

Erik Westberg Vocal Ensemble - A Star is Shining
                                                                                  This is a Christmas album, but with a difference. The basic idea was to make a classical Christmas album...

Friedhelm Flamme - Durufle: Complete Organ Works
                                                                                  The present recording conveys an authentic sound picture by means of which the listener is practically transported ...
                                                                                  Label: CPO

Gerald Veasley - Velvet
                                                                                  With Velvet, bassist extraordinaire Gerald Veasley maintains an unmistakably progressive sensibility ...
                                                                                  Label: Heads Up

Global Percussion Network - Rauk
                                                                                  The first Opus 3 SACD-multichannel recording made in pure DSD

Hartmut Haenchen - Mahler: Symphony No. 5
                                                                                  Netherlands Philharmonic Orchestra

Ivan Fischer - Dvorak: Symphonies 8 & 9
                                                                                  Such was the outstanding quality of Fischer's coupling of Dvorák's final two symphonies that the CD was shortlisted for a long time...
                                                                                  Label: Philips

Jarvi - Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra - Berlioz: Symphonie Fantastique, Op. 14; Love Scene from Romeo et Juliette
                                                                                  This is Jarvi's recording debut both with the Cincinnati Symphony and with Telarc.

Jesus Lopez-Cobos - Turina And Debussy
                                                                                  The second longest tenured Music Director in CSO history, Spanish conductor Jesus L—pez-Cobos personifies commitment...

Single Layer Multichannel SACD Jorma Kaukonen - Blue Country Heart
                                                                                  Founding member and guitarist of Jefferson Airplane and Hot Tuna, Kaukonen brings his country roots to the forefront...
                                                                                  Label: Sony/Columbia

Julia Fischer - Khachaturian: Violin Concertos This product has sound samples!
                                                                                  "Many of you will probably wonder why I chose these violin concertos in particular for my first CD. To be perfectly...

Leon Botstein - Popov: Symphony No. 1
                                                                                  Leon Botstein first performed Gavriil Popov’s Symphony No. 1 with the American Symphony Orchestra in New York -...

(*) Kleiber/Vienna Philharmonic Orch. - Beethoven: Symphonies Nos. 5 & 7
                                                                                  Label: Deutsche Grammophon

The Kleiber 5th is "absolutely" the one to have.

Hope you find something you like from their suggestions. I'll be interested in hearing about your selections.

Burke
                                                                                  Last edited by Burke Strickland; 30 January 2006, 22:46 Monday.

Comment

• sikoniko
                                                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                                                    • Aug 2003
                                                                                    • 2299

#86
                                                                                    Santana - Abraxas - Black Magic Woman/Gypsy Queen
                                                                                    Star Wars Episode IV - Cantina Song. VERY SWEET!
                                                                                    I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• gross30
                                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                                      • Jun 2005
                                                                                      • 282

#87
                                                                                      The Kleiber/Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra, Beethoven no's 5 &7 is incredible. It was hard to find, but found it as an import. Although my 801 s3's are older, the recording of this disc is amazing, and the sound just completely filled the room. My wife couldn't believe it could sound that good. Great suggestion and I will be trying some of the others. Thanks...dg

Comment

• storello
                                                                                        Junior Member
                                                                                        • Mar 2006
                                                                                        • 18

#88
                                                                                        I have a modest SACD/DVD-A collection that I started AFTER I put my system together so I haven't used these while shopping for equipment, but I do use them to demonstrate my system. Both are 2 channel SACD but in a quiet room you'd swear the surrounds were on.

Stevie Ray Vauhan, Double Trouble: Bonus track 12, Tin Pan Alley - Stevie always put everything he had into his music and this studio recording is so clear you can almost "hear" his emotions pouring out through the guitar. They chop the track off before the end :-( but at least it's a good reference track.

Yo-Yo Ma, Appalachian Journey - Great to check if a cello sounds like a cello ;-) This album is well made with a number of potential reference tracks, including vocal, but the one that stands out is track 6 - Benjamin. The single cello early in the track is one of the most 3 dimensional recordings I've heard in stereo.

Comment

• Ovation
                                                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                                                          • Sep 2004
                                                                                          • 2202

#89
                                                                                          Genesis--Firth of Fifth (a 9 min. song with a little of everything--acoustic piano, deep synth bass, clear cymbals, electric guitar and keyboard solos and more--it is the first song to be played when evaluating equipment. If gear passes this test I move on to...)

Alison Krauss and Union Station--Live (several cuts) SACD
                                                                                          Glinka, Debussy and others Solo Harp music from AIX records DVD-A
                                                                                          Pletnev plays Schumann (solo piano) SACD
                                                                                          Sibelius Violin Concerto (Naxos DVD-A)
                                                                                          Joe Henderson--Lush Life: The Music of Billy Strayhorne SACD

That covers enough for me to make a decision

Comment

• BTB
                                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                                            • Jan 2006
                                                                                            • 198

#90
                                                                                            Some favourite reference tunes (in no particular order):

Bjork: "The Pleasure's all mine" (from the album: Medula)

A slightly leftfield album from Bjork (even by her standards), every single sound on the entire album was created by the human voice, amongst them Rahzel, "The human beatbox". This track is the album opener and has a pretty "Gothic" gloom about it...towering massed voices and low level (quite hair raising) "grunts" by an Inuit throat singer. A great test for "scale" and channel seperation, also systems that get congested and hard in the midrange when music gets complex... BEWARE!

No Doubt: "Hella good" (from the album: Greatest Hits)

A track largely produced by Hip Hop and R&B's golden boys, the Neptunes. The drums in the opening bars have such attack that only a system/component with no musical pulse could fail to excite! Also the bassline could decend into a sloppy unintelligable mess on lesser equipment (regardless of cost), effectively ruining what should be an exciting, taut tune underpinning a great pop record.

Patricia Barber: "Autumn Leaves" (from the album: Nightclub)

A fantastic rendition of a well known standard. Real longing for lost love is appropriately expressed, no cocktail lounge shmoozz for miles... and an extended upright bass solo to die for. This recording features fantastic "atmospherics" and doesn't want for detail, but is not over analytical by any means... the aforementioned bass should be almost holographic on good gear, with every finger slide, and resonance of the instruments body reproduced, and as can be expected low frequency extention can be taxing for equipment not up to the task.

Laurence Hobgood trio: "More than you know" (from the album: Crazy World)

From the True Stereo series on the Naim Label, an album you should own even if you've only a passing interest in the piano led jazz trio. A recording of staggering quality made using only two high sensitivity microphones and an analogue tape machine, no mixing desk, no engineering of any kind (if the literature is to be believed). As such the placement of individual performers should be clear, as should their physical distance from each other and the microphones, the voice of the singer (Kurt Elling) [for example] should be reproduced with palpable distance between himself and the mics, and essentially behind the plane of the speakers.

Charlie haden & John Taylor: "Chairman Mao" (from the album: Nightfall)

Another one from the True Stereo series... another brilliant recording. Mostly moody jazz performed only on upright bass and piano. Much the same thing as above in terms of "imaging" and placement. [For those who argue that these are impossible to interpret without actually knowing where/how performers were located during recording... many (but not all) of these releases actually have a little plan in the CD sleeve of where each performer sat or stood relative to the location of the microphones.]

Damien Rice: "The blower's daughter" (from the album: "O")

A "raw nerve" performance of a set of acoustic originals. Quite an "unvarnished" quality about it, almost overdamped... very "studio", but noise is virtually non-existant and as such every ounce of detail appears to have been preserved. Becuase it's so free of "addiditives" any gross deviation on the part of the reproduction equipment from neutrality should be immediately obvious. Also becuase many of the songs on this album break from a whisper to a anguished cry within a second it's a great test of the dynamic capabilities of new kit.

Of course all the above comments are based on the (dangerous) assumption that my modest system is a worthy reference for "good" hi-fi performance, but I've heard the same characteristics on other decent mid to real high end gear I may have tested or simply drooled over before.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                            Search Result for "|||"