X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Amphiprion
    • Apr 2006

Genre, Artist and/or Track ideas for the next Phase Test Challenge

I promised I'd do another round of tests at a lower frequency, so here's your chance to have some input.

I need three songs, so let me know what you guys want to be listening to for 30 seconds over....and over....and over.... Genre, artist or track recommendations all welcome. For specific songs it has to be in my CD collection or you'll have to mail me a copy for free.

The test will be done with all-pass filters simulating L/R crossovers at 300Hz.
  • Johnloudb
    Super Senior Member
    • May 2007

You think male vocals would show off that range?

Any Leonard Cohen music?

Radio Head - Amnesiac, Cut 1, 2, or 4?

Jennifer Warnes - Famous Blue Raincoat, "A Singer Must Die." Has some very low male vocals. Nice.
    John unk:

"Why can't we all just, get along?" ~ Jack Nicholson (Mars Attacks)

My Website (hyperacusis, tinnitus, my story)

Comment

• bigburner
      Super Senior Member
      • May 2005

Leonard Cohen's "Ten New Songs" is full of low frequencies.

One of the songs off that album revealed a flaw in a friend's bass driver. The shop didn't believe him because they couldn't reproduce the fault. Sure enough he took the CD into the shop and there it was.

Nigel.

Comment

• Amphiprion
        • Apr 2006

Wow, only two responses?

I think I can get some Radiohead going on, plenty of that in my collection. I'll have to give this Cohen guy a listen.

Comment

• Amphiprion
          • Apr 2006

This Cohen guy is really good. I'm guessing everyone on this board over 40 already knows all of his hits by heart. Sometimes being younger sucks.

Comment

• AJINFLA
            • Mar 2005

Dave Brubeck - Here Comes McBride (Track 4 in the link)

cheers,

AJ
            Manufacturer

Comment

• cjd
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Dec 2004

Hillary Hahn, Unaccompanied Bach Partitas and Sonatas

Track 12

If you don't have a copy, you should. :P

C
              diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• Johnloudb
                Super Senior Member
                • May 2007

I'll have to get that. I noticed it's available as a hybrid SACD. (Edit: Opps, I guess that's not an SACD. I confused that with her Bach Concertos ops: )

I have Hilary Hahn, Elgar: Violin Concerto; Vaughan Williams: The Lark Ascending, and it's really nice also. I have the CD only version, but will probably get the SACD Hybrid, now that I know it's available.

Last edited by Johnloudb; 31 March 2009, 08:15 Tuesday.
                John unk:

"Why can't we all just, get along?" ~ Jack Nicholson (Mars Attacks)

My Website (hyperacusis, tinnitus, my story)

Comment

• Hank
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Jul 2002

Bela Fleck: http://www.flecktones.com/store/product/12/Live-Art

Comment

• Dennis H
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Aug 2002

Mark, did you ever 'reveal' the XOs of the last test?

Comment

• mazurek
                      • Mar 2006

When I've done this testing, I've found short segments of percussive instruments best. I think maybe drums that have a bit of high frequency impact to them and some cymbals that have some low freq body to them (I think I remember the cymbals working better as test tones). I think 30 seconds is maybe too long a sample. In my view, when listening for the effects, you are not listening for an overall nuance or shade to a long sample, you are listening to very specific events in the music that now have the perception of a little more high frequency overhang. I believe Linkwitz has a description of the effects of all pass networks on his site with pictures. Maybe consider using a low frequency square wave just so you can hear an example of what you are looking for (if you can't with that signal, it seems like you are wasting your time). It seems to me your best chance is with an instrument that has an audible high frequency impact but also has lots of information across the frequency spectrum. I think a lot of the simple beautiful audiophile music does a terrible job of revealing anything.

Comment

• 1Michael
                        • Sep 2006

I'm 47 and darn proud of it...how about some Blue Man Group or perhaps some Crystal Method? Forget that jazz and classical stuff :Z let's rock :T :W
                        Michael
                        Chesapeake Va.

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"