This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dave
    • Aug 2003

I do very much appreaciate your comments, as you probably already are aware I cannot make copies of those titles because of contractural reasons
    by the artists.

Sorry about that! it is a great opportunity however, for you guys to post your own lists
    and show how creative your programing talants are!!! :T
    Dave...

Comment

• Azeke
      Super Senior Member
      • Mar 2003

That's a great list Dave.
      I actually own most of those songs, I think I put together a Dave Compilation, for me and the Mrs.

Regards,

Azeke

Comment

• H.Donald
        • Aug 2004

Anyone know of my favorite Willie Hutch he was called a poor mans' Bobby Womack who is my other favorite.Mr.Hutch wrote many Motown hits and then branched out to record on his own.He is probaly best known for writing and singing the soundtracks for the Mack,Foxy Brown and other films from the 70s..

Comment

• dave
          • Aug 2003

H.Donald, unfortunatly that is one of the artists that has slipped by me. does he have any CDs in print? This is one artist that I am going to investigate this evening. If I find anything I will be sure to post it.
          Dave...

Comment

• dave
            • Aug 2003

Well that did,nt take long, he's got 3 discs available
            Best of
            From the Heart
            Foxy brown sound track

Tell me, which one of these is the best?
            all I was able to hear were 30 second snippets of "Stormy Weather" "Sunshine Lady"
            and a few other tracks, very nice music indeed!!!
            Dave...

Comment

• H.Donald
              • Aug 2004

A good place to start would be the best of...it is also the most readily available.It is probaly at your local cd store and certainly on the web..as is most of his other cds.I also have another best of which is an import titled "try it you like it"which...I believe was bought on Amazon.The import covers another peroid in his career,so between the two you would have just about everything worthy.There are two mid-ninties releases ..."from the heart"..."the mack is back" which are just for fans as the do not measure up to his heyday...a remake of "the way we were"and "I choose you" are other great songs.

Comment

• dave
                • Aug 2003

Thanks for the heads up on this the domestic best of will be my 1st.

Regards,
                Dave...

Comment

• BradF
                  • Nov 2003

The Marvin Gaye Collection gets released this week. Comes in both SA-CD Hybrid and DVD-A flavours.

track listing:
                  1. Ain’t That Peculiar
                  2. It Takes Two -- duet with Kim Weston
                  3. Ain’t No Mountain High Enough -- duet with Tammi Terrell
                  4. Your Precious Love -- duet with Tammi Terrell
                  5. Ain’t Nothing Like The Real Thing -- duet with Tammi Terrell
                  6. I Heard It Through The Grapevine
                  7. What’s Going On
                  8. Mercy Mercy Me
                  9. Trouble Man
                  10. Let’s Get It On
                  11. Distant Lover

Eleven tracks doesn't seem like nearly enough... what happened to You're All I Need To Get By and Too Busy Thinking About My Baby, among many others?

Comment

• Glen B
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Jul 2004

Originally posted by BradF
                    The Marvin Gaye Collection gets released this week. Comes in both SA-CD Hybrid and DVD-A flavours.

track listing:
                    1. Ain’t That Peculiar
                    2. It Takes Two -- duet with Kim Weston
                    3. Ain’t No Mountain High Enough -- duet with Tammi Terrell
                    4. Your Precious Love -- duet with Tammi Terrell
                    5. Ain’t Nothing Like The Real Thing -- duet with Tammi Terrell
                    6. I Heard It Through The Grapevine
                    7. What’s Going On
                    8. Mercy Mercy Me
                    9. Trouble Man
                    10. Let’s Get It On
                    11. Distant Lover

Eleven tracks doesn't seem like nearly enough... what happened to You're All I Need To Get By and Too Busy Thinking About My Baby, among many others?

True. This makes me wonder about the guys who decide what tracks to put on some compilations -- what are they thinking ? They always leave out some of the best stuff. On this CD they also left out:

1. Inner City Blues (Makes Me Wanna Holler)
                    2. Sexual Healing

Comment

• BradF
                      • Nov 2003

Yer right, two more songs that are Marvin essentials. I'll be buying this one regardless, but it's a cryin' shame that it isn't more complete.

Bye-the-bye, I wonder what part the accountants play in all this. Seems to me, I read somewhere that song royalties have to be paid out two times, whenever a SA-CD or DVD-A goes into production -- once for the hi-res track and again for the redbook.

Comment

• Danbry39
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Bob
                        Soloman Burke, especially his latest album, "Don't Give Up on Me".
                        Marvin Gaye.
                        Smokey Robinson.
                        Gladys Knight.
                        The Isley Brothers.
                        Stevie Wonder.
                        Bob, you 'da man.

If you recall from way back when the "under the radar" thread, I took some of your suggestions way back when and very much enjoyed them. But, I finally ordered the Soloman Burke album, "Don't Give Up On Me". A combination of soul, gospel, and blues, this is simply an amazing recording with "None of Us are Free" a masterpiece. It only helps that the organist is so much a complement to his singing. Very fine stuff there, Bob. Kind of reminded me of Keb' Mo' with Keb' Mo' leaning more toward the blues.
                        Keith

Comment

• dave
                          • Aug 2003

Yeh,, count me in on the purchase of Marvin Gaye collection.
                          It's a shame regarding the lack of tracks though, just wait and see, in a year or so they probably will issue the same compilation with those tracks added as Bonus tracks!!!

Keith, that Soloman Burke disc sounds very promising. I've got to check that one out!

Hey,,, has anyone been thinking of some good compilation discs??? :T

Regards,
                          Dave...

Comment

• BradF
                            • Nov 2003

Dave, here's a comp. that I wouldn't mind having; female voices only, on this one:

1. I Never Loved A Man / Aretha Franklin (the opener, a very strong track)
                            2. Heat Wave / Martha and The Vandellas
                            3. Natural Woman / Aretha Franklin
                            4. Hunter Gets Captured By The Game / Marvelettes
                            5. He's My Guy / Irma Thomas
                            6. It's Gonna Take A Miracle / Royalettes
                            7. He Was Really Saying Somethin' / Velvelettes (rarely heard tune, very groovy)
                            8. You Beat Me To The Punch / Mary Wells
                            9. Jimmy Mack / Martha and The Vandellas
                            10. B-A-B-Y / Carla Thomas
                            11. When You're Young And In Love / Marvelettes
                            12. I Say A Little Prayer / Aretha Franklin
                            13. Time Is On My Side / Irma Thomas
                            14. You've Been In Love Too Long / Martha and The Vandellas
                            15. River Deep-Mountain High / Ike and Tina Turner (the closer, magnum opus)

Comment

• dave
                              • Aug 2003

Now that's a cool list!!!
                              I've never heard of the Velvelettes! theres yet another artist for me to focus
                              on. Thanks for the input Brad I like the way that one flows! :T
                              I went back for a second look and can't remember hearing anything by the Royaletes either!

Regards
                              Dave...

Comment

• BradF
                                • Nov 2003

Yeah Dave, you've probably heard these two groups before, but just never recognized them. The Royalettes had a nice smooth sound, charted a few times in '65, and that was that. Think of Tears on My Pillow / Little Anthony and The Imperials, and you can pretty much nail down their sound. It's Gonna Take A Miracle is a very nice tune. Pretty hard to find them on CD.

The Velvelettes never got the same kind of push that some other Motown girls got. Needle In A Haystack was a popular tune for a while. He Was Really Sayin' Somethin' has a fine funky doo-wop vibe going for it. I think I may heard it covered by some other group in the eighties, can't really remember. You can find it on the Hitsville USA #1 set.

Comment

• H.Donald
                                  • Aug 2004

Growing up in the 70's and 80s I loved the Isley Bros...they have put out several cds in the past few years some better than others.Although only Ronald the vocalist and Ernie the guitarist remain alive...their second to last cd "eternal" kind of clicked with me...it reminded me of the old days.Another Isley favorite of mind is a collection of ballards from over the years including their versions of...
                                  brown eyed girl,hello it's me,lay lady lay among others.Funny how certain songs take you back to periods in your life...I fell in love with my wife of twentysomething years listening to these songs.Of course now the same songs sound so different because our equipment is so much better.Also Ronald has a new cd doing Burt Bacharach classics...nice music.The same can also be said about the Dramatics...just great love songs and memories.Any other fans out there?

Comment

• Glen B
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Jul 2004

For the second time within the past two weeks while flipping through cable channels late at night, I have come across a documentary/musical film on Showtime and The Movie Channel titled "Standing In The Shadows of Motown." This retrospective is about the Funk Brothers, who were the studio band for many of the popular old Motown acts.

The film features interviews, a visit to Berry Gordy's old Hitsville USA Studio, historical footage of Motown and its artists and updated performances of old Motown favorites by a number of artists including Me'Shell Ndegeocello, Chaka Khan, Gerald Levert, Bootsy Collins and others. This movie is a must for lovers of soul music and is available on home video.

Last edited by Glen B; 06 October 2004, 16:57 Wednesday.

Comment

• Danbry39
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Sep 2002

That's a GREAT documentary Glen. Bootsy Collins's performance in particular was extremely infectuous.
                                      Keith

Comment

• H.Donald
                                        • Aug 2004

Thanks for reminding me..I have the dvd and have yet to play it...
                                        it will be PUMPED UP tonight!! 8)

Comment

• Glen B
                                          Super Senior Member
                                          • Jul 2004

Recommendation: Fans of Buddy Miles should check out the CD "Miles Away From Home." I've had this CD for a couple of years now. The performance is classic buddy with all-new material and an updated, hip-hop style version of "Dreams." If there is one thing I must criticise is that on the aforementioned track, the recording engineer's overzealous use of equalization made Miles' voice sound like he was singing through a megaphone. Otherwise, this is a nice CD and is in stock at CD Universe.

Comment

• jimmyp58
                                            Super Senior Member
                                            • Aug 2003

Just heard an awesome oldie soul song yesterday, 'Show And Tell' by Al Wilson. Great song!
                                            jpiscitello@ameritech.net

Comment

• H.Donald
                                              • Aug 2004

Wattstax

My oldest daughter came home for a visit this weekend,and she came bearing gifts...[i taught her well].She gave me a dvd of Wattstax and a cd which she had burnt of the same.Both had been re-released, remixed and remastered recently.If you are not familar with Wattstax...it was kind of a black version of Woodstock.It took place in the mid seventies and featured most of the artists from the Stax-Volt label.Isaac Hayes,the Bar-Kays,
                                              Johnny Taylor,bluesmen Albert King and Little Milton to name a few.If you like soul music and or blues...do yourself a favor and check it out.The cd sounded great and was really pumped up.The dvd was wonderfully transfered..visually..the soundtrack though was not on par with the cd.
                                              It brought back such good memories...back when I was 8)

Comment

• H.Donald
                                                • Aug 2004

btw...the dvd is not for virgin ears...there are interviews with Richard Pryor and other "man in the steet"talks that range from funny to angry and some of it is raw.

Comment

• jimmyp58
                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                  • Aug 2003

Richard Pryor doing something 'raw'???? Nah, hard to believe!!!

Comment

• dave
                                                    • Aug 2003

H.Donald, Thanks for the headsup I will definitely be checking that out!!!

Regards,
                                                    Dave...

Comment

• H.Donald
                                                      • Aug 2004

Reading elsewhere in this forum about people constantly upgrading[myself included]
                                                      I am reminded of the old song "Aint no stoppin' us now"...McFadden and Whitehead

Comment

• Bob
                                                        • Jul 2000

I meant to compliment you on your picture of Howling Wolf the first time you posted and never got around to it. Better late than never.

Comment

• H.Donald
                                                          • Aug 2004

Thanks,I'm happy that there are people here who recognize the Wolf.Funny thing is I have several Howlin' Wolf cds but not the one I took that picture from.That's from ,I'm sure you know...the London sessions,with Eric Clapton,Stevie Winwood among others.
                                                          Maybe Santa will bring it to me.

Comment

• jimmyp58
                                                            Super Senior Member
                                                            • Aug 2003

So who did T.S.O.P. and what did it stand for?

Jim

Comment

• Glen B
                                                              Super Senior Member
                                                              • Jul 2004

Originally posted by jimmyp58
                                                              So who did T.S.O.P. and what did it stand for?

Jim
                                                              T.S.O.P. = The Sound of Philadelphia, a trademark of Philadelphia International Records, home of songwriters/producers Kenneth Gamble and Leon Huff. Walter "Bunny" Sigler and the team of Gene McFadden and John Whitehead also wrote and produced for the label. Philly Records is the label of acts like The O'Jays, Harold Melvin and the Bluenotes, Archie Bell and the Drells, Billy Paul, Instant Funk, M.F.S.B. (Mother, Father, Sister, Brother, - famous for the song Love is The Message).

Comment

• jimmyp58
                                                                Super Senior Member
                                                                • Aug 2003

BANG!!!

Awesome Glen!

Jim

Comment

• H.Donald
                                                                  • Aug 2004

Wow...Bunny Sigler...great list.Bunny Sigler even put out at least two albums under his own name.Harold Melvin and the Bluenotes along with Teddy P.are played much in my home...as is Billy Paul,he put an excellent "live world tour" cd out in 2000.With litte crowd noise,it is a great collection of his material.

Comment

Working...
                                                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                  Search Result for "|||"