He's old. That's how you get to be: The Godfather Of Soul!!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • John Holmes
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

He's old. That's how you get to be: The Godfather Of Soul!!!

Description
    The hardest working man in show business brings down the House of Blues with a live concert event in Las Vegas. Recorded with high definition equipment, James Brown's influential music, uninhibited style and energetic stage presence are captured like never before. Generations of fans rejoice as the undisputed "Godfather of Soul" takes his diverse audience on a journey through five decades of chart-topping hits. Also includes an interview with Brown. Songs: Get Up Offa That Thing, Gonna Have a Funky Good Time, Living in America, Popcorn, Soul Power, Soul Man, I Got the Feeling, Hot Pants, Try Me, Prisoner of Love, Georgia on My Mind, If I Ruled the World, Why Don't You Do It Right, Papa's Got a Brand New Bag, Funk on a Roll, I Feel Good, Payback, Papa Don't Take No Mess, Please Please Please, Sex Machine. 75 minutes

The above is has be written on this dvd. It almost somes up what you get. The Hi-Defintion recording of this disc is very evident. Even on my 32"analog TV. It is nothing short of stunning. And it is 16x9 enhanced.

The disc has three audio tracks 2.0, DD 5.1 and DTS 5.1. I choose the DTS for my listening. The sound was very well done.

I was very happy to see that James still has a lot of energy. At 67 or 68 yrs of age, most should be so lucky. Can he still do the moves like in the old days??? Nope! Can he still sing like in the old days??? Nope. But you know what? He comes real close!!! Especially knowing his age.

I enjoyed this show. It was nice to hear the old classics as well a a few new tunes. And it was great to see James and his same band and backup singers still together and still bringing down the 'house" ! I will be adding this one to my collection.

BTW, there is an interview with the producers on the disc. it last about 15 minutes. Very interesting stuff there on the Hi-Def truck used to capture the show and process it's sound. As well as one of the producers relationship with James Brown.

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
    "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"
  • Bam!
    Super Senior Member
    • Jan 2004

Hi John!

Sounds good (pardon the pun)

Tell me how is the mix on DTS...the soundstage...any goofy stuff in the back surrounds playing?

Thanks bud!

Bam!
    Got a nice rack to show me ?

Comment

• Eduardo
      Moderator emeritus
      • Jun 2002

I've had this DVD for a couple of years now and LOVE it. The sound is awesome. Makes me want to get up dance :dance:

http://home.nc.rr.com/ejimenez

Comment

• John Holmes
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Bam, Eduardo sumed it up well. The sound is awesome. And nothing funky about the soundstage on this mix. Everything is up front with only crowd noises in the rear channels. This is a fantastic disc.

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
        "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• David Meek
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

I'm not a big fan of the Godfatha, but wanted to mention that The Absolute Sound magazine has his 50th Anniversary Collection 2 CD set, listed as a Best Of 2003.

David - HTGuide flunky
          Our "Theater"
          Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"