Goodbye Yellow Brick Road DVD-A

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • thewalrus
    Junior Member
    • Aug 2004
    • 2

    #1

    Goodbye Yellow Brick Road DVD-A

    Hi. I just bought the DVD-A of Goodbye Yellow Brick Road and I cannot seem to play the advanced resolution audio stream. I have a Pioneer DV563-A hybrid player that plays both SACD and DVD-A and I have never had this problem before. Any suggestions or is this a defective disc? It does play back the Dolby digital stream. Thanks.
    Dan
  • Burke Strickland
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Sep 2001
    • 3159

    #2
    Dan -

    Welcome to the HT Guide Forums and thank you for posting your question.

    Although you say you haven't encountered the problem before, you haven't told us specifically what kind of discs you were playing before -- DVD-Video, multichannel SACD, or DVD-Audio. Each has different setup requirements either in the menus or the cable connections.

    Assuming you've made the proper digital audio connections and settings for your receiver or pre/pro, (which you've done since you have been getting Dolby Digital sound), the Pioneer 563a will play DVD-Video discs just fine with the "DVD-Audio" selection in "Initial Settings" for "DVD Playback Mode", but it will NOT play the DVD-Audio tracks of a DVD-Audio disc if "DVD-Video" is selected in the "Initial Settings".

    To play a DVD-Audio disc using the DVD-Audio layer, in your Pioneer 563a's "Home Menu" for "Setup", select "Intial Settings" and then "Options". For "DVD Playback Mode", select "DVD-Audio". When you play your DVD-Audio discs, you should then see something like "Surround Track List" instead of the "Dolby Digital Track List" that you are probably seeing now. (SACD playback is not affected by this setting -- it has its own menu setting.) If you have set the "DVD Playback Mode" to "DVD-Audio" and it is still only showing the tracks on the Dolby Digital layer on a DVD-Audio disc, then it is probable that the disc is defective.

    To actually hear the multichannel output, also check to make sure your receiver or pre/pro is properly set for multichannel playback. For example, on some Onkyo/Integra/Integra Research products, this requires toggling the multichannel input selection via the remote at the time of playback in addition to having made a few menu choices beforehand to set up multichannel playback capability. (I'm assuming you have the analog multichannel cable connections for DVD-Audio/SACD made already.)

    Good luck!

    Burke

    What you DON'T say may be held against you...

    Comment

    • David Meek
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Aug 2000
      • 8934

      #3
      Wow, we ARE a 24-hour service aren't we?!?! Ask a question at 1:23 AM and get a response at 1:40. . . .
      :coffee:

      Hi Dan, welcome to The Guide. :welcome: We hope you like it here and hang out with us for a while.
      .

      David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

      Comment

      • NMyTree
        Senior Member
        • May 2004
        • 520

        #4
        I will say this.

        This is one of the friendliest A/V sites, I have come across. The people on here are just wonderful, informative and ...pretty funny too :B


        Sorry I can't help with your question.

        But I would like to know how that DVD-A (GYBR) sounds. I have the Remastered Redbook CD version, and I think it sucks barbwire. Harsh, convoluted...digital hell. :x

        Been considering getting the DVD-A, but I'm afraid it will not be an improvement over the Redbook CD.
        Tony

        Comment

        • gd
          Senior Member
          • Jan 2003
          • 583

          #5
          The 563a was found to have a design flaw which prevents it from playing a small number of recently-produced DVD-As with new coding... GYBR is one of those specific titles... also Gaucho, Tommy.

          The flaw can be corrected with a fairly simple firmware fix, but the player must be taken to a local Pioneer service center or shipped to one... you can sorta confirm if you need the fix by checking the manufacture date on the carton... anything made before Feb 04 (I think) will need the fix... the fix should be free, but you'll probably have to pay for shipping one way.

          There is a long-running thread with lots of who-when-where-why details here: http://www.quadraphonicquad.com/foru...ead.php?t=3020

          If that's too much trouble, Pioneer has come out with a replacement model, 578a, wherein the flaw should be fixed... otherwise, similar performance and price.
          .
          greg (gd to you)
          .
          Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring
          production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.

          Frank Zappa

          Comment

          • Burke Strickland
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Sep 2001
            • 3159

            #6
            As with new coding... GYBR is one of those specific titles... also Gaucho, Tommy.

            The flaw can be corrected with a fairly simple firmware fix, but the player must be taken to a local Pioneer service center or shipped to one...
            Thanks, Greg -- Good to know that Pioneer has a "fix" for the 563a to allow it to handle the small number of problematic DVD-Audio discs. From reading the referenced thread, it sounds fairly painless if you have a Pioneer service center close by that can turn it around quickly. Otherwise the glitch sounds like a good reason to seek out SACD versions of these titles, if available. :>)

            Burke

            PS - Gaucho, Goodbye Yellow Brick Road and Tommy are reportedly available in SACD versions via "mail order". I've seen Goodbye Yellow Brick Road and Tommy SACDs at Best Buy and Cactus Records locally.

            What you DON'T say may be held against you...

            Comment

            • jimmyp58
              Super Senior Member
              • Aug 2003
              • 1449

              #7
              Goodbye Yellow Brick Road on SACD is phenomenal in multi-channel or 2-channel. Gaucho as well.

              Before the others chimed in, I have read of the same hiccup on the Pioneer not being able to play certain DVD-A discs.

              Jim
              jpiscitello@ameritech.net

              Comment

              • thewalrus
                Junior Member
                • Aug 2004
                • 2

                #8
                Hi. Thank you everyone for responding. I'm glad I found you guys. I'll definitely look into that upgrade. To Nmytree; Are you a Pearl Jam fan? I am. Just wondering. Also, the Dolby Digital 5.1 mix of GYBR sounds awesome. I can only imagine what the advanced resolution sounds like. I had a version of the SACD and this kicks butt. I sampled both formats extensively over the past year and I have to say I definitely prefer the DVD-A format for high quality audio.

                Dan

                Comment

                • NMyTree
                  Senior Member
                  • May 2004
                  • 520

                  #9
                  Originally posted by thewalrus
                  Hi. Thank you everyone for responding. I'm glad I found you guys. I'll definitely look into that upgrade. To Nmytree; Are you a Pearl Jam fan? I am. Just wondering.
                  Dan

                  Yes Dan........I AM. :later: "I wave to all my friends..........":dudes:


                  "Don't it make you smile......:banana:............ "


                  :B
                  Tony

                  Comment

                  Related Topics

                  Collapse

                  • Burke Strickland
                    Anybody using the multichannel input instead of "direct" for analog sources?
                    by Burke Strickland
                    I just got an email from someone who shall remain anonymous unless he volunteers to come forward and identify himself. :>) Actually he asked a good question that I thought might be of general interest, so I’m posting the answer here in addition to answering the email.

                    He wants to...
                    17 July 2004, 02:38 Saturday
                  • Ovation
                    In Defence of Multichannel mixes
                    by Ovation
                    I posted this on a British forum (and a few other places as well) but got little reaction (though an earlier debate in that same forum revealed a serious antipathy toward MCH music). I put this to you all and ask for comments.

                    Regardless of preference for two channel vs MCH and the...
                    02 June 2005, 19:31 Thursday
                  • Chip
                    Will a Denon 2200's DAC's equal or better my SCD-C555ES player for Redbook playback ?
                    by Chip
                    I'm looking consolidate some gear. I have a S9000ES DVD/SACD player thats been recently retired due to it exibiting some erros. I now have my Panasonic RP91 in my rack. I also have a SCD-C555ES multichannel SACD/CD player in the rack.
                    Question is: Will the Denon 2200 be as good or, better via...
                    22 January 2004, 00:34 Thursday
                  • Chris D
                    New Halo P7 multichannel preamp now shipping!
                    by Chris D
                    New press release just came out. FINALLY! :banana: I know a couple of our club members here have been waiting for this one for a while.

                    There's a few things about this final release model that I find interesting:
                    - I like that it has TWO multichannel analog inputs, not just...
                    19 August 2008, 23:31 Tuesday
                  • NHT
                    2900 vs RCD 1072 for cd playback?
                    by NHT
                    As some of you already know, Im not impressed with the performance with my new 1098 that I bought two days ago. Let me rephrase that. It sounds good, but not much better than the 1055 Ive used as a pre/pro. Sure, it has a lot more users options and tweakability but soundwise, in my opinion, is not...
                    26 September 2004, 23:53 Sunday
                  • Loading...
                  • No more items.
                  Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

                    Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

                    Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"