X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Saw Diana Krall Live Saturday Night

She was playing at the Metro Center, a space used mostly for hockey games and other sporting events, though there have been many Rock Concerts held there. I have seen Johnny Cash, Anne Murray and Nana Mouskouri to name a few, and they came across well. But not Diana. Her smokey voice and three backup musicians would have been better suited to a more intimate environment like a nightclub, jazz club or a small auditorium.

Still, even though the tickets were expensive ( just under $70) and it was hard to see her ( the large video displays helped) I enjoyed the show. She did a mixed bag of standards from earlier albums as well as many songs from her new cd.

The show started with a chops-loosening instrumental, then Diana launched into the standard, All Or Nothing At All and that really got the small crowd of 5000 going. I also liked her rendition of Mose Allison's shambling talking-
    blues tune Stop This World. Many of the songs from her new album were co-written with hubby Elvis Costello. I was expecting a surprise show from Costello as we was supposed to be joining her on the tour, but it seems he wasn't to arrive until Sunday.

Would I pay $70 to see her again ? Probably not if it was held in a hockey rink. But I would pay maybe $50 willingly to see her in a more intimate environment. And get your mind out of the gutter
    My Homepage!
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Her venue when she was here was one of the reasons I didn't attend either....hockey arena's aren't great acoustically even for loud rock and are even worse for jazz etc.

Comment

• aud19
      Twin Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2003

Agreed. When I still had money to go to cocerts I made a concerted effort towards the end to only go to music halls or smaller. Definitely gives you a better appreciation for the music and makes for a much more engaging performance. I must be getting old, those big stadium shows are for the kids :B 8O

:lol:

Jason
      Jason

Comment

• aarsoe
        • May 2004

"But I would pay maybe $50 willingly to see her in a more intimate environment." - I paid a lot more than that.. :W

Let me see - speakers, amp's, pre etc - guess my total cost to have her for my self at home have been above 30 K USD - but then I can have her as many times as I want :T

Joke aside, have only had the pleasure once, but it was a thing to remember - in a real concert hall...

Comment

• John Holmes
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

I have no clue why any artist of the jazz, easy listening type genres, would allow themselves to be placed to perform in such a venue. Just doesn't make sense to me.
          "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Bam!
            Super Senior Member
            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by John Holmes
            I have no clue why any artist of the jazz, easy listening type genres, would allow themselves to be placed to perform in such a venue. Just doesn't make sense to me.

Here's the answer..

70.00$ * 5000 seats......350 000.00$

It's simple math :lol:

plus the exposure of her in the area...creates a bigger evenue in album sales!

------------------

John...You can take a joke right! :lol: :lol:
            Got a nice rack to show me ?

Comment

• aud19
              Twin Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2003

Sorry John but you didn't forget about the almighty dollar did you? 8O

:B

Jason
              Jason

Comment

• John Holmes
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

Okay, you guys got me! :B I'll go stick my head back in the sand now.
                "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Bob
                  • Jul 2000

I saw her in a small club called Arjuna in the Chezc Republic a few years ago. Before she became the audiophile dream girl. The club was underground in the old city part of Prague and had maybe 50 people in it.
                  Personally, I couldn't wait for the local guys to get back on the stage. There was a guy that looked like the hunchback of Notre Dame that played the electric piano each night that was on fire.
                  I have a feeling that 10 years from now some of the people with multiple Dianna Krell albums are going to stumble across them in their collection and say to themselves, "What was I thinking back then?". I know I have plenty of albums from the 60's and 70's that make me say that. But, then, I go to every Bob Dylan concert I can so, what do I know about singers and their voices.

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"