X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Danbry39
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Sep 2002

Under the radar recordings that some of us might have missed

I noticed Dave's post about Camel, so I put them on my list to buy. From this forum, I've also learned about artists such as Holly Cole (also intend to buy), Gov't Mule (bought and love this CD), and Allison Krauss and Union Station (also bought and love).

So, I wuz wondering if you have any that the masses might not have heard of, but you think others might enjoy quite a bit. A brief description would be nice, but not necessary.

I'll start:

Richard and Linda Thompson: Shoot Out the Lights - Going through a separation, Richard, formerly of Fairport Convention, and Linda spill their guts all over this CD. I remember one reviewer saying it was so good that, even if you took out all the vocals, it still would warrant a five out of five.

Eva Cassady: Live at Blues Alley - Tragically died of cancer at an early age, Eva performs an excellent grouping of standards including "Cheek to Cheek", "Bridge Over Troubled Water", "What a Wonderful World", "People Get Ready", and "Take Me to the River" with her small jazz oriented combo.

Flamin Groovies: Teenage Head - Mick Jagger said that this was better than the Stones' own Sticky Fingers. Group never reached popularity, but could be pretty amazing. One of my favorite CD's of the last few years. This one is very Stone like. Others are more Beatlesque.

Whiskey Town: Stranger's Almanac - If you love country rock, you've probably heard of this, with David Ryan Adams leading the way. Reminds me of Gram Parsons in his spirit and attitude.

Boz Scaggs: Boz Scaggs - After leaving the Steve Miller Band, but way before disco hit the scene, Boz released this blues influenced album with Duane Allman sitting in with lead guitar duties. Loan Me a Dime is both at their most exceptional best.

Los Lobos: Kiko - So many great CD's and live performances put on by this band from East L.A. Kiko is my favorite, although several come close. Los Lobos is not just the band that performed the music for La Bamba - They are one of the best rock bands there is today, of course imo.

Well, this is a starter. I'd really like it if some of you shared some of your favorite "not known by the masses CD's" so if the urge hits us, we can avoid the mass market productions that line the shelves of the music stores. Don't have to pick completely obscure ones, only ones that might have slipped under our radars. Goes with out saying that music is very subjective, so obviously these are just opinions.

Keith
    Keith
  • dave
    • Aug 2003

Kieth, I am also very interested in helping this great bunch of people find new & sometimes different styles of music to listen to. I really hope this thread takes off. So I,m only going to limit my suggestions to four discs & I hope you all enjoy them. #1 Easy Rock, Dave Mason- Title: Its Like You Never Left & Dave Mason On , Sony music A32193 . Very smooth fluid music. #2 Country Rock, Outlaws- Title: Hurry Sundown . On Buddha Records 74465 99818 2 Very good listening. #3 Country, Ian Tyson- Title: Lost Herd. On Vanguard Records 79533-2 This music is all about story telling put to fantastic sound. #4 Folk, Kate Wolf, Title: Close To You . On Rhino R271482 Out of all 1300 plus CDs that I own this is my absolute favorite! very good to start your day with Very Tasteful. I hope to get some other ideas for my ever expanding collection. This forum sure is a good place to relax. Thanks

dave
    Dave...

Comment

• Danbry39
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Sep 2002

Thanks Dave.

For sure, I'm going to track down Kate Wolf. My whole family loves folk, especially me. 8)

Keith
      Keith

Comment

• David Meek
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

GOOD THREAD!!!!! :T

From the rock side of things, try Mission UK's Children. They are a dark almost Goth act that caught lightning in a bottle with this CD. One song got minor air-time here in the US - Tower Of Strength. Excellent music with a surprising range, searing bass/guitars/drums to quiet introspective vocal passages, very good rythms. Technically a decent-to-good effort.

For something completely different: The soundtrack to Last Man Standing, by Ry Cooder. An electric bassists' must-have album. It's a technically wonderful CD - as are most of the Ry Cooder efforts I've heard. I'm not sure how to classify this music. There are some songs with a Spanish influence, some are more improv-type mood music, some I'm not sure - just try it and let me know what you think.

Orchestral? Try R. Vaughan Williams' 7th symphony - the Symphonia Antarctica. A beautiful, haunting work, somewhat dark and chilling in spots, quiet and reflective in some, grand and overpowering in others. Don't confuse this with light, dainty harpsichord music - it's a moving, powerful and thought-provoking work. I highly recommend this.

David - HTGuide flunky
        Our "Theater"
        Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Bob
          • Jul 2000

Danbry,
          Your tastes in music seem to mimic mine quite a bit. Here are a few that I think you would enjoy.
          First of all I would second Kate Wolf, like Eva Cassidy her life was cut short by cancer but her music will live on for a long time. I would suggest her compilation album "Gold In California"
          Sticking with Folk I would also reccomend:
          "Odetta at Carnegie Hall". Man can this woman put out the emotion. The majority of the tracks are just her, her guitar and Bill Lee on bass. The last four tracks she is accompanied by a chior.
          "Ann Arbor Blues and Jazz Festival 1972". This double album will reintroduce you to a lot of great musicians and bands that you forgot you knew, from DR. John and Otis Rush, to Koko Taylor and Bonnie Raitt, the list is long and the music is toe tapping great!
          "The Weavers Reunion at Carnegie Hall 1963". This group was "banned" as too contraversial after being hauled into the McCarthy hearings in 1952. In 1963 they reunited for this incredible concert and recording. The last track even includes a sitar, 4 years befor George Harrison "discovered" it. Pete Seeger manages to make his banjo sound like a electric rock guitar. If the music doesn't go way beyond the boundries of your speakers and reach all the way back to your front wall your speakers need some serious placement tweaking.
          Linda Thompson, "Fasionably Late". This is her latest album and some of her best.

Acappella:
          "Sweet Honey in the Rock Live at Carnegie Hall". Oh My God! Are these women ubeleivable. Nothing but their voices and souls. Let me tell you they have a bass singer that rivals any male bass, check her out on "Wade in the Water" and hear the hall errupt with excitement.
          Fairfield Four, "I Couldn't Hear Nobody Pray". O'k, so there are five of them. They can be seen in O Brother Were Art Thou digging the graves at the end of the movie. I love this group and have all their music. Unfortunately they are only available on cd.

Blues:
          Doug MacLeod, anything you can get your hands on. It is all good. LA bluesman that sold his soul to the devil. It isn't possible to move your fingers as fast as he does.
          Muddy Waters, "Folk Singer". This is early Muddy, all acoustic and well recorded.
          Robert Lucus, "Built For Comfort". I usually don't like Robert's music but, for some reason I listen to this one album of his a lot and if my wife is home with tend to get up and start dancing. You can't listen to his version of the famous Elmore James song "Talk to me Baby" and sit still. If you can , are you sure you like music?

Rock:
          Flaming Lips, "Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots". I don't know what it is about this album that grabs me but, I listen to both the vinyl at home and the cd in my car. Maybe it is the pink vinyl, maybe it is finally the flashbacks that Time magazine promised we would have if we lived the "60s". What ever it is I like it.

Soul:
          Soloman Burke, "Don't Give Up on Me". What, you don't have this! Run to the store NOW!
          The Delfonics, "The Delfonics". You mean you didn't buy this album after watching Jackie Brown?
          Aaron Neville, "To Make Me Who I Am", "Devotion". Big, ugly, tatood, been there done that, VOICE OF A ANGEL! If you aren't moved by Aaron your heart is made of stone, or maybe you just lead a sheltered life and don't know what it is like to come up from the bottom.

Jazz:
          Thelonious Monk, "Live at the It Club". With Charlie Rouse on sax, Larry Gales on acoustic bass, Ben Riley on drums. It doesn't getting any cooler then this.
          Gabor Szabo, "The Sorcerer". Gabor is who Santana has been imitating all these years.

African:
          Geoffrey Oryema, my personal favorite is "Exile". I first head Geoffrey while paying a visit to my favorite CD store in the world, Now Hear This in Tucson AZ. I was browsing through their great blues section and I could hear this incredible voice coming over the speakers. He was singing in Swahili but I could hear the lament and sadness, and incredible soul. I had to have the cd. Turns out he had to escape Uganda in the trunk of a car during the reign of Idi Amin. Much of his family didn't make it out and his father was murdered. His songs are sad but his voice is unbeleivable. I own all his albums and still don't know if he is a bass, tenor, baritone or what. He seems to be able to sing in any key and change his voice mid song. Listen closely, Swahili is a soft romantic language like French, which I think influenced it greatly (it is an invented langauge if you didn't know). If listening to a foreign language is to hard for you get "Beat the Border" it is all english. Also, his guitar playing is very original.

Hawaiian:
          Yeah, you read it right. Some of the greatest guitar players that have ever lived, lived on these islands. If you think Diana Krall is jazz and the Beatles were rock and roll you probably wont like Hawaiian, to bad, your really missing out.
          George Kahumoku, Jr, "Drenched by Music". I played this for a friend that puts on a local blues festival without telling him what it was beforehand. He went out and bought a box load of Hawaiian music afterwards looking for other slack key guitar players. The older guys like Gabby Pahinui have as much soul as any old bluesman.
          My man, the IZ. Used to be my neighbor when I lived in Kauai. Israel Kamakawiwo'ole, "Facing Future". Obesity took his life at a early age but, if any man belongs in heavens choir it's the IZ. We used to sit on his porch and listen to him sing to his uncles guitar playing, my wife cried every time, I kid you not.

Comment

• Danbry39
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Sep 2002

Thanks guys. I really would like this to take off. and I've already put quite a few on my Amazon wish list.

My problem is that I'm really out of touch with a lot of the music that's out there. Most of the music for the masses kind of leaves me uninspired. I love the descriptions you're leaving.

Keep 'em coming.

Keith
            Keith

Comment

• Bob
              • Jul 2000

I know there are more than four people in this forum that listen to music. Come on turn us on to something we may not have tried.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2001

One LP I have pretty much worn out is:

NEWPORT 1958 DUKE ELLINGTON AND HIS ORCHESTRA
                Featuring Gerry Mulligan on baritone sax. Others included:
                Saxophones: Johnny Hodges
                Russell Procope
                Paul Gonsalves ( he's hot on this recording)
                Jimmy Hamilton
                Harrty Carney
                Trumpets: Ray Nance
                Cat Anderson
                Shorty Baker
                Clark Terry
                Trombones: Britt Woodman
                John Sanders
                Quentin Jackson
                Bass: Jimmy Wood
                Drums: Sam Woodyard
                Piano: The Duke of course
                Vocals : Ozzie Bailey

Even if you don't like big band jazz, this recording will have you stomping your feet. Don't know if it's available on cd, though.

My Homepage!
                My Homepage!

Comment

• dave
                  • Aug 2003

Duke Ellington; Live at Newport is an absolute must in anyones jazz catalog. Two songs come to mind when thinking of this record. 1st is Jeeps Blues & 2nd blues in creshendo diminuendo this is really spontainious jazz. Possibly another one would be Digital Duke Ellington, performed by his son Mercer.

dave
                  Dave...

Comment

• David Meek
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

Yeah, where's John? He's always got something interesting in the music bin

Hawaiian music, Bob? Okay, color me curious. . . :yesnod:

George, you've got one more post to reach 2,500!

David - HTGuide flunky
                    Our "Theater"
                    Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

Comment

• dave
                      • Aug 2003

George; Ellington Live At Newport is available on cd.

dave
                      Dave...

Comment

• Danbry39
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Sep 2002

George,

I agree with everyone else about that Ellington CD, well in your case LP. It just sizzles. In fact, I think I'm a gonna spin it right now.

I did listen through Amazon to small portions (that's all they allow) of some of the Hawaiian music and put one of them on my wish list over there. Funny thing is that I wouldn't have been able to tell the instrumentals as being Hawaiian, but the vocals were easily recognizable as being such.

Besides the great suggestions, I've gotten something else out of this thread. I can spell "Hawaiian". Yippee!!! Bet a lot of people get that wrong with four consecutive vowels.

Keith
                        Keith

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Jan 2001

Thanks for the info, Dave. Wasn't sure if it was on cd. I still love to play vinyl, though, even though this particulat lp has a few snap, crackle and pops.

Hey, Tex, this is post 2500 !!!

My Homepage!
                          My Homepage!

Comment

• dave
                            • Aug 2003

Yeh George, I also only have it on record problem is I gave my table away & so I,m in turntable search mode. I,ve got it narrowed down to three.

dave
                            Dave...

Comment

• John Holmes
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Aug 2000

Yeah, where's John? He's always got something interesting in the music bin
                              I'm here! And have been following this thread with great interest. A lot of good stuff going on here.

And will be sure to add to this wonderful list shortly.

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
                              "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Danbry39
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Sep 2002

Orchestral? Try R. Vaughan Williams' 7th symphony - the Symphonia Antarctica. A beautiful, haunting work, somewhat dark and chilling in spots, quiet and reflective in some, grand and overpowering in others. Don't confuse this with light, dainty harpsichord music - it's a moving, powerful and thought-provoking work. I highly recommend this.
                                Which orchestra would you recommend and do you have any clue as to where I can get a hold of it. I'm trying to take one pick from each of you and your description really intrigued me. It sounds like a piece I'd love to own.

So far, the list reads thusly:

1. Camel - Snow Goose
                                2. Holly Cole - Shade
                                3. Kate Wolf - Close to You
                                4. R. Vaughan Williams - Symphony No. 7
                                5. Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots

Already own George's recommendation.

A Home Theater Guide variety pack.

Bob, the reason I chose Lips (for now) over the other selections is because it sounds like it will be a sonic sensation as well as great music.

Keith
                                Keith

Comment

• dave
                                  • Aug 2003

Keith: Snow Goose is a really good choice on Camel. The disc is almost all instrumental. However if I had to make a choice between snow goose & a nod & a wink I would have to give my vote to a nod. Also this disc is HDCD encoded. Also for big band music theres a various artists disc I own titled, great swing hits in hi-fi, OSCILLATIN' RHYTHM the recording on this is very good. It features artists like Glen Gray, Ray Anthony, Billy May,Duke Ellington, Count Bassie, Les Brown, Benny Goodman & Harry James. It,s on Capitol Jazz CDP 7243 8 21090 2 0

dave
                                  Dave...

Comment

• Danbry39
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Sep 2002

Thanks for the tip Dave. A Nod and a Wink it shall be.

What about their 2 CD release, Live Record? Have you heard that? Would you recommend that over the others? Just curious, because they sound like they might be a good live act.

Keith
                                    Keith

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                                      • Sep 2001

Keith -

Although you asked David since he recommended it, the performance and disc you are looking for of Ralph Vaughan Williams Symphony #7 "Sinfonia antarctica" is by the Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra conducted by Kees Bakels on Naxos 8.550737 http://www.classical.net/music/recs/...nxs50737a.html

That is the one David has and I second his recommendation -- an outstanding performance of some mighty impressive (or impressively mighty) :>) and enjoyable music.

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• dave
                                        • Aug 2003

Keith: I,ve heard a little of thier music live on the various discs I own, However I always go back to the studio versions. I have,nt heard the double disc set though so I really can,t recommend it. If you hear it let me know what you think. By the way thanks Burke for the heads up on finding the Symphonia Antarctica update I,ve been looking this afternoon for that disc. It really sounds interesting. Regards

dave
                                        Dave...

Comment

• Danbry39
                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                          • Sep 2002

Well, thanks Burke.

Visited Borders tonight and, surprise, surprise, no Williams whatsoever...well, John Williams sure, but no R. Vaughn Williams. I hardly ever find what I want in Border's classical section.

So, I placed an order for all of them through Amazon.

Added Muddy Waters - Folk Singer because I've been wanting to get that one for a while now, just never pulled the trigger.

Ended up ordering Snow Goose and Nod and a Wink from Camel.

Now, the waiting...

This is really cool to be getting all of these great ideas. I can't tell all of you how much I appreciate all of the suggestions.

Keep 'em coming.

Keith
                                          Keith

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                            • Jan 2001

Dave, I'm lookin' for Oscillatin' Rythm. Spunds like a winner. Ray Anthony is also a favorite trumpet player of mine. When I played trumpet I tried hard to mimick his style. I even owned the same kind of trumpet he used to play, a Conn.

My Homepage!
                                            My Homepage!

Comment

• dave
                                              • Aug 2003

George: The cd is derived from capitol&roulette tapes. What those two companys did was have all those artists come into the studio & rerecord all the tracks that make up this disc now all this took place in the mid 50s. I tell you george one of my all time favorite band leaders is glen gray & his casa loma orchestra. I bought the disc really for one song SMOKE RINGS...By the way I,ve been looking for a record my dad used to own I think it was the greatest hits of glen gray & his casa loma orchestra it was a reworked bunch of tunes that featured smoke rings , no name jive, & others. The lp was positively done in the 50s the cover was gray with a picture of glen on it. Anyway thanks for the reply

dave
                                              Dave...

Comment

• Danbry39
                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                • Sep 2002

Got my Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots from Borders. The others are being shipped from Ebay and Amazon.

I know this ain't for everyone's taste (what is), but I've probably played it 7-8 times since getting it. At first, I wasn't impressed until I started to listen to the lyrics around four tracks into the thing. Since then, it has been a regular. It's coming out on DVD-A in the next month or two, but I'm perfectly satisfied with the redbook version. It floats my boat.

Keith
                                                Keith

Comment

• Danbry39
                                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                                  • Sep 2002

I'm going to give three more recommendations:

Sam Cooke - Live at the Harlem Square Club:

Sam Cooke was always one of my favorite singers. His smooth, almost flawless singing on songs like Cupid, Bring it on Home to Me, A Change is Gonna Come, Wonderful World, etc. is, imo, among the best pop and soul has had to offer. This night, he changed his tenor somewhat, and let the sweat drip and the passion flow. A great performance by one of soul's all time greats.

Jerry Lee Lewis - Live at the Hamburg Club:

Jerry Lee. Say ain't he the guy who married his thirteen year old cousin? Yeah, but this recording, which took place a couple of years later, is a knock-your-socks off explosion of Jerry's sexuality. Grrrrrrrrrrrr is the buzzword of the night.

X - Wild Gift

I happen to love punk music and X was one of the best, along with groups like The Sex Pistols and Clash. Along with London Calling, this is my favorite punk album...well maybe one step beneath...but if you like punk, or even if you need an adrenaline rush, this baby will do it for you. Great punk music!!! Side note: Saw X three times live in L.A. One of my favorites up close and personal.

Keith
                                                  Keith

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                                                    • Sep 2001

Keith -

Now that you've revealed your REAL taste in music with those last three selections, :>) here's another recommendation that has probably stayed way below the radar:

Slobberbone: Everything You Thought Was Right Was Wrong Today (Released in 2000 on New West Records)

Slobberbone is described as an "Alternative Country and Western" group. They are based in Austin, Texas, but travel and perform all over the world these days. They've put out several albums, including "Barrel Chested" and "Crow Pot Pie", both of which I've added to my collection, and their latest, "Slippage", which to me sounds like outakes from their earlier efforts. But the most accessible intro to their special talent is "Everything You Thought Was Right Was Wrong Today". The title song (actually the title of the song is "That Is All", but its lyrics include the words in the album name) is pretty darned good, but I actually like a few others even more, including the incredibly plaintive appeal of "Gimme Back My Dog", which is the first of their songs I ever heard and which led to my search for this album.

I enjoyed "Everything You Thought..." enough to go for the others already mentioned. The vocals are NOT polished, rather, almost hoarse at times, but they are quite effective for the material. On the other hand, the instrumentals, using a wide range of both traditional and unexpected instruments, are sensationally professional, but in a way that perfectly complements and underscores the folksy, rasping vocals.

I imagine this would be a fun group to see in person, but their albums are lot of fun to listen to, too.

Another album I really enjoy for the performances and the sound is:

Jennifer Warnes: Famous Blue Raincoat (Originally released in 1986)

The whole album consists of covers of Leonard Cohen songs, but they sound completely different from his versions of the same songs -- still soulful and introspective, but a bit more upbeat, if such a description can be applied to his music. :>) (He sings with her on "Joan of Arc", but even there, the overall effect is a substantial change from when he sings it alone on his own albums.)

The sound is system-demo quality -- acclaimed by industry pros as one of the best engineered pop albums ever -- and her sensational vocals threaten to peg her as a "serious" singer (as opposed to a more lightweight pop-type "artist"). The back up instrumentals include guitar work by the late Stevie Ray Vaughan. Even if you are not particularly fond of Cohen and his music, you owe it to yourself to give this one a listen. If you ARE a fan, you'll want this in your collection along side his CDs for a refreshing change of pace.

A word of warning -- this album has been in and out of print several times and I had to special order it online when I bought it a couple of years ago. So you probably won't find it in the rack at your local store -- but then that's been true of just about everything else in this thread, hasn't it?

Amazon has both these albums listed:

Slobberbone: Everything You Thought Was Right Was Wrong Today

Jennifer Warnes: Famous Blue Raincoat

Enjoy!

Burke

Comment

• David Meek
                                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                                      • Aug 2000

Slobberbone? I LIKE that name! 8) Burke you never cease to amaze me with the breadth of your musical taste(s).

Keith, did you ever manage to pick up on a Camel album?

I think I'm going to have to get the Yoshimi album, if for no other reason that to hear what so many people, on different forums no less, are talking about.

David - HTGuide flunky
                                                      Our "Theater"
                                                      Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

Comment

• Danbry39
                                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                                        • Sep 2002

No Camel yet, but one of the Ebayers told me Snow Goose is on its way.

Burke,

Went to Amazon and listened to Slobberbone. Yeah, I do like that kind of music.

As for Jennifer Warnes, she's on the Nitty Gritty AIX release, which I have. Later this year, I think AIX is releasing a concert DVD-A of her and I'm going to order that for sure. But, her singing Leonard Cohen is especially appealing, so it's on my wish list.

Keith
                                                        Keith

Comment

• Danbry39
                                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                                          • Sep 2002

Bob,

You still there?

Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots is ADDICTIVE!!!

Keith
                                                          Keith

Comment

• dave
                                                            • Aug 2003

A few years ago I was introduced to a group that calls themselves JADE WARRIOR as the title of the band signifies they are very diversive in the type of music they make. The early LPs are in my opinion a bit unfocused, however they still have some shining moments. It isnt until the band released WAY OF THE SUN that they hit thier true potential. Released in 1978 this collected set of works is more than just listening to music it actually achieves what I like to call artform meaning they use thier music in a visual way. The songs incorporate Flute, Harp, Accoustic Guitar,Electric guitar& synthesiser& drums. The second LP I would recommend is titled BREATHING THE STORM this collection of songs is very effective in releaving stress from our busy work schedules. The album features some nature sound effects to compliment the ongoing sound track. One of the reasons these two CDs stand out in my collection is because they have absolutly no featured vocals at all. If you sometimes get tired of listening to Rock-n-Roll & other Generic types of music this could possibly bring you as much enjoyment as it has brought me over the last couple of years. Happy Listening............ For Further Imformation you can go to www.jadewarrior.com

dave
                                                            Dave...

Comment

• Bob
                                                              • Jul 2000

Reading over this thread has been very entertaining. I am going to Ameoba Records later today and will be looking for some of the suggestions.
                                                              I have one more:
                                                              Tom Russell's "The Man From God Knows Where". This is a very interesting album/storytelling. It is a musical history of his family. It is more interesting from the story telling aspect than the musical aspect. It is very LA country western and probably not for everyone. Since my family is also Irish background and in the film business it seems very personal to me.
                                                              Danbury,The Flaming Lips are addictive. I'm glad you liked it, however, the two best albums I listed are The Weavers Runion at Carnegie Hall-1963 (not the second reunion at Carnegie Hall which I don't care for) and Sweet Honey in the Rock "Live at Carnegie Hall".

Comment

• Danbry39
                                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                                • Sep 2002

Gotcha about Sweet Honey in the Rock. Already own and love their CD All For Freedom. Will check out the live album. Probably would buy it if only for Wade in the Water, which is a favorite Chestnut of mine. Ordered Flaming Lips, The Soft Bulletin and The Weavers at Carnegie Hall this last Wednesday and they should be here in a week or two. The Weavers, like the Muddy Waters you recommended, have been on my short list for a while. You just gave me that little push that I needed to follow through.

On the Hawaiian front, I'm a teacher and a new teacher in our department told me she's going to bring me quite a few Hawaiian CD's to listen to (she's from Honolulu). She's well aware of IZ and mentioned one standard that he sings that she says will floor me with how beautifully he sings it. Can't remember what it was off hand. As this is the first time I spoke with her, can't be sure if she'll come through though.

Keith
                                                                Keith

Comment

• John Holmes
                                                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                                                  • Aug 2000

As I place a few of my "under the radar" selections in the bin, please understand. I have written threads on most of them before. Thus, my discriptions here will be brief. If you have a little more interest in any of the following selections, please do a quick search for my review of it. If you cannot find it or just have more questions about it, please feel free to ask me about it. 8)

The Caveman's Valetine

The soundtrack from the motion picture. Composed by Terence Blanchard.
                                                                  This is very a aggressive classical cd. I love this disc!

Rachelle Ferrell: First Instrument

Big floor standing bass, smooth as silk vocals, nice trumpets, solid drum work....oh baby! This is vocal and instrumental jazz at it's finest!

Sadao Watanabe: Rendezvous

If you pick this disc up and are a lover of jazz, you will be sure to recognize a few cuts off this disc from your local jazz radio stations.
                                                                  This is a very good up tempo disc. If you enjoy a brazilian flare, this should satisfy.

Korla Wygal: Perfectly Korla

The Blues!!! I saw Korla perform several cuts off this disc in a niteclub in Seattle. While I enjoy the entire disc, "Should've Been Me" (the last track on the disc) is my favorite.

Rodney Franklin: Love Dancin

A nice mix of upbeat and laid back tracks. A lot of nice piano work. With the likes of Doc Powell, Gerald Albright, Harvey Mason, George Howard and others assisting on it, this is a a smooth jazz cd that is worth checking out.

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
                                                                  "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Bob
                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                    • Jul 2000

This has become one of my favorite threads. It has been great learning about new music and artists. Usually a thread like this is more along the lines of "who's your favorite female, male, jazz, etc." and all you see listed are the artists that everyone already knows. I picked up several suggestions at Ameoba Records in Hollywood yesterday along with some new vinyl and plan on listening tonight.
                                                                    Here are a few more that are well worth looking into.

Back to the slack key Hawaiian theme: Led Kaapana "Waltz of the Wind". This was recorded in Nashville with Alison Krause, Sonny Landreth, Ricky Skaggs and a host of other great musicians. The tunes go from traditional slack key to the music of Hank Williams, Fats Waller, Sonny Landreth cajon, and more. Very little vocals but, great acoustic playing. Like many Hawaiians, Led grew up in financial poverty but, surrounded by a wealth of music. He says in the notes that come with the CD that people would come over to the house and play around the clock, people would leave and people would come and the music just kept playing. Like acoustic blues this is great porch music.

I don't know how to list the next two albums I like alot. They both can be found on Ani DeFranco's "Righteous Babe" label, http://www.righteousbabe.com/artists/index.asp

The first is, Sekou Sundiata "Longstoryshort". Modern beat poetry put to the music of Defraco's band. Very powerful when heard live, and the recording isn't bad either. The politics maybe a little dated but, the beat and the voice is still interesting. I especially like his poem to Jimi Hendrix.
                                                                    The second is, Utah Philips "The Past Didn't Go Anywhere". Utah Philips is a story teller keeping alive the past. Sort of along the Pete Seeger tradition. Only the two CDs (unfortunatly no vinyl from Righteous Babe) have him talking to the beat of Ani DeFranco's punk/folk sound. Really good car music, stories about things you probably haven't realized may be important to you.

Just for fun:
                                                                    The Coasters, "The Very Best of the Coasters". I like doo woop music and the Coasters make it fun. They manage to put comedy into all their songs, and at the same time sing some great harmony.

Comment

• dave
                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                      • Aug 2003

David: I am doing a review on Vaughan Williams Symphony No. 7 "Sinfonia Antartica" Two Words--- Absolutly Stunning!!! I am amazed at the power this has. My favorite part is on the 3rd track when the organist is playing the low register bass & then the pipe organ arrives. I give this CD :5: it makes you feel as if you are really there. Thanks for this one. (only 6.99 at silver platters) I,ve found another offering for this thread yesterday, this ones titled TWIN AGE thats the name of the band, the cd is entitled -LIALIM HIGH- the group is from Sweden however all the lyrics are in english. This is very well thought out music with a theme put to it. I would have to list this one as Progressive Rock without the noodling. The disc was released in 1997 and is very thought provoking. Any of the discs that I have recommended on this thread are readily available at WWW.SILVER PLATTERS.COM. as well as many of the others listed here Once again Thanks....................

dave
                                                                      Dave...

Comment

• David Meek
                                                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                                                        • Aug 2000

Dave, really glad you like it. It is a grand, haunting work isn't it?

This HAS turned into an excellent thread hasn't it? Mats' thread on the young Japanese artist Agutsuma needs to be in here also. Really interesting music that I'm trying to find locally without much result.

Lialim huh? I'll have to check it out. Thanks for the head's up!

David - HTGuide flunky
                                                                        Our "Theater"
                                                                        Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

Comment

• dave
                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                          • Aug 2003

David, First off how was the vacation? secondly welcome back! I really think you would like TWIN AGE they have released 3 CDs however I have only heard thier newest LIALIM HIGH. If anyone on this forum likes music that will keep your interest, this one will do the trick. These musicians have it together!!! :P And yes I enjoy forums that allow me to expand my knowledge and musical frontiers. This one does the trick!

dave
                                                                          Dave...

Comment

• Bob
                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                            • Jul 2000
                                                                            • 802

David Meek,
                                                                            Thanks for the tip on Sinfonia Antartica. It took me awhile to find it on vinyl. Finally was able to get it through GEMM, which seems to always come through when you are having a hard time finding something in particular. Gave it a listen last night and spun it twice.
                                                                            It is now my second favorite symphony recording. My favorite right now is the DECCA label of the London Symphony performing Espana.

Comment

• Danbry39
                                                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                                                              • Sep 2002
                                                                              • 1584

#39
                                                                              Still waiting for mine. It was on backorder at Amazon, but finally came and shipped out last Friday. I will order Espana in the next week or two.

On a side point, got my two Phil Keaggy CD's yesterday, The Master and the Musician and Crimson and Blue, and he is an outstanding musician, ranging from Jeff Beck like Jazzy guitar, to accoustic, to, well, to everything. I'm gonna really take the time to enjoy these two discs over and over.

Keith
                                                                              Keith

Comment

• Danbry39
                                                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                • Sep 2002
                                                                                • 1584

#40
                                                                                Hey David,

Do you know where I can find that particular recording of Espana? I looked at Amazon and they had one by the Vienna Philharmonic, but no others.

Keith
                                                                                Keith

Comment

• David Meek
                                                                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                  • Aug 2000
                                                                                  • 8938

#41
                                                                                  Keith, the Espana recommendaton is Bob's. Sorry bud, can't help much there, other than to look at CD Universe's listings. There are a bunch of Espanas!

David - HTGuide flunky
                                                                                  Our "Theater"
                                                                                  Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

.

Comment

• Danbry39
                                                                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                    • Sep 2002
                                                                                    • 1584

#42
                                                                                    Oops, sorry about the mistake and thanks for the link, but I don't think it's there either.

Bob?

In the meantime, think I'll do a google search. That sometimes turns up something.

Keith
                                                                                    Keith

Comment

• Bob
                                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                                      • Jul 2000
                                                                                      • 802

#43
                                                                                      Could be that the London Symphony version of Espana doesn't exist on CD. If it does you might find it here:

I don't listen to much symphony music, so just because it impressed me doesn't mean much.

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                                                                                        Moderator
                                                                                        • Sep 2001
                                                                                        • 3161

#44
                                                                                        Assuming that the performance of Espana by the London Symphony Orchestra which we are seeking is the one with Ataulfo Argenta conducting, it is on CD on either the Decca or Polygram labels, but it appears to have been out of print for a while in the US and Canada. Looks like it is still available, though, either as an import or used. Amazon US has it for sale "used": Amazon US Espana CD Amazon Canada carries it as an import Amazon Canada Espana CD and other sites overseas (UK, Denmark, Poland) have it listed as a current product on the Decca label.
                                                                                        Polish CD Vendor

The list at the CD Universe URL that David Meek suggested does have it buried in there -- here's the needle in that haystack :>) Espana at CD Universe although they list it as "backordered", they say it ships in 3 to 10 days and you can have them email you when it is available.

This performance also shows up on the Audiophilia "A" list of recommended recordings: AudioPhilia "A" List .. There are dozens of other recordings of Espana out there, but the Argenta/LSO recording is the one that keeps popping up on FM stations' playlists.... great choice -- good luck finding it on CD. (You might have better luck asking your local classical station to broadcast it during a "request" show and tape it off the air.)

By the way, in addition to the title selection by Chabrier (Espana), the Argenta/LSO recording also includes performances of Rimsky-Korsakov's Capriccio espagnol, Op. 34 and Debussy's Images for Orchestra, among other works. All in all, sounds like an album worth seeking out.

Burke

Comment

• Danbry39
                                                                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                          • Sep 2002
                                                                                          • 1584

#45
                                                                                          Thanks Burke and Bob.

As far as Amazon, I placed an order for a used one in very good condition. The way it works there is that they'll sell you one if any of their sellers either has one or gets a hold of one.

I also put in a request at the other site to email me should one come available.

One way or the other...

Keith
                                                                                          Keith

Comment

Working...
                                                                                          😀
                                                                                          😂
                                                                                          🥰
                                                                                          😘
                                                                                          🤢
                                                                                          😎
                                                                                          😞
                                                                                          😡
                                                                                          👍
                                                                                          👎
                                                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                          Search Result for "|||"