X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Danbry39
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Sep 2002

Listened to the snippets over at Amazon. Especially loved his take on Hendrix's Wind Cries Mary. Cool stuff.
    Keith

Comment

• dave
      • Aug 2003

the selections that I am posting are'nt going to be of that much interest to
      most the folks who read this, but by the chance that there might be someone
      who likes Progressive Music, it may be worth thier while to do the research
      as I have done.

So here go's, For what it's worth....
      #1 Etcetera- Tales of Ardor and Deciet, on the RHCD label,
      I am not quite sure where these guys are from, what can be stated is
      that the music is not of the Noodling nature. Lots of nice instumental
      passages. Recorded 2001

#2 Lotus- Self titled 1st album from 1974.
      If you are a fan of Wishbone Ash, this one will have you jumping!
      The band is from Sweden and the whole thing is Instrumental
      not a single lyric. the album was meticulously remastered in 2002
      the Lp is really rare and a bit spendy as well CD # DYM001

#3 KBB- Four Corner's Sky on Musea FGBG4501AR
      Once again this is an all Instumental disc Released in 2003
      the band is from Japan and are extremely talented.
      A four piece band that uses an electric violin to banter
      with Guitar, drums and bass, A hint of Kansas as well as early Yes

#4 Mangala Vallis- The Book of Dreams. From Italy
      released in 2001 and is dedicated to the memory of Jules Verne
      this reminds me of early Genesis, well thought out story lines
      enhance the music nicely and there is a sense of adventure
      to keep the listener interested

#5 The Tangent - :the music that died alone, Released, 2003
      a harder edged 7 piece jazz/rock fusion band.
      this one has some really nice interaction between the instruments
      that allows it to flow nicely.

#6 The Best of Lana Lane 1995-1999
      One listen to the song Rainbows End and you will see why I purchased
      this one, Lana owns a Beautiful Voice. The disc has a mixture of soft
      ballads and more upbeat tracks.

#7 Glass Hammer-Shadow Lands 2004 (I think)
      Beautiful bright passages are what you will find on this disc
      Hey they even use a Pipe Organ on one track as the bands name
      signifies, the are very delicate at times and very aggressive at others
      It's the last track that attracted me titled "Behind the great Beyond"

#8 Magenta- Seven released 2003
      If you like Female Vocalists, then this band has a very good one
      Very smooth melodies is the way to discribe this with a ration of
      solid guitar intertwined throughout. Interesting Lyrics

Happy Listening!!!
      Dave...

Comment

• Danbry39
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Sep 2002

Thanks for the recommendations Dave. You are quite the guru of this type of music and I've never been disappointed with any of your suggestions. It's surprising because usually I'm pretty up on most types of genres, but you know groups which I've never heard of before and, as I said, thus far your suggestions have been dead on.
        Keith

Comment

• dave
          • Aug 2003

I appreciate your vote of confidence regarding my suggestions here Keith,
          the type of stuff that we are talking about here isn't something that can be
          found at lets say a Best Buy, they have to be special ordered and for most
          people that requires a certian amount of risk. As for where these disc's can be found, as I've probably stated before, its www.silver platters.com
          Regards,,,
          Dave...

Comment

• NMyTree
            • May 2004

Some years back, in the 90's, and on just a whim.......a spontaneous impulse, I purchased J.S. Bach (1685-1750) 4 Guitar Concertos, The Amsterdam Guitar Trio with Euridice Quartet and Carol Harte, Double-Bass.

It's on Emergo Classics.

Had never heard the CD (Album) or heard of it.

It turned out to be one of my most beloved classical albums. Absolutely beautiful.

The sound quality is great. The music just comes across beautifully. The performance by the musicians is outstanding.

On Track 4, which is Bach's Concerto in C minor, BMV 1060 for 3 Guitars, String Quartet and Double-Bass; there are some low bass notes (or chello) that just simply blow me away. Played beautifully.

I bought a pair of Quad 22L about a month ago (for my home office), I was breaking them in with my Living Room system. Got about 60-70 hours on them, before breaking down my Living Room system for the new custom made componenet rack and TV cabinet, which I'm waiting on.

This CD sounds fantastic on the Quad 22L. I notice a huge improvement in the timbre of the instruments, over my Paradigm Monitor 9 v.3.

The Quads are just so musically sweet........smooth.
            Tony

Comment

• Danbry39
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Sep 2002

Interesting. I have one or two CD's of transcriptions of Bach suites into music for four guitars and enjoy it. I'm personally not the biggest listener to Bach although I seem to have a lot of his recordings. But, I've never had music that can tame my stress levels better than Bach. When I concentrate on the interplay between instruments with Bach compositions, I just go into a relaxed place.

By the way, congrats on the new Quads. :T
              Keith

Comment

• NMyTree
                • May 2004

Thanks Keith 8)

Relaxation, was one of the things that attracted me to Bach. I also love the the melody of the music.

I have tons of Bach :B

I played Neil Young's " Comes A Time" the other day, and I was blown away by how good this CD sounds on the Quad 22L. The acoustic guitars sound full, lush and the timbre sounds very nice. Steel guitar sounds smooth.

So far the Quads are excellent with well recorded Classical, Jazz, New Age; Jean Michel Jarre, Gordon Lightfoot, Mark Knopfler solo, Dave Weckl, Armik, Dire Straits and other Acoustic guitar music.

Basically, it seems the Quads do great work with well-recorded music.:banana:

Bad recorded music sounds............oh so very badxx)
                Tony

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                  • Sep 2001

OK, it's time to check out another ravishingly beautiful recording of a couple of the glories of Western music:

Mozart's Clarinet Concerto in A Major K. 622 and Mozart's Clarinet Quintet in A Major K. 581.

Although I have several performances of each of these works in my collection, I've found the performances by clarinetist David Shifrin on Delos DE 3020 to be especially delightful. On the Concerto, he plays with the Mostly Mozart Orchestra conducted by Gerard Schwarz, and on the Quintet, he teams up with the Chamber Music Northwest ensemble which consists of Ida Kavafian and Theodore Arm, violins, Toby Appel, viola and Fred Sherry, cello.

The cover blurbs state that these performances are "Mozart's original versions - played on an extended range clarinet". The notes indicate that the instrument is capable of four notes lower than the standard instrument. Music scholars in the mid-twentieth century are said to have found that this instrument answers the question of "dislocated" scale patterns in the two works included here.

Although "purists" may object to the "reconstruction" of the works to take advantage of the range of the instrument, the music is thoroughly convincing as played here -- a real treat of exquisite playing and superb recording. With my music playback system, I can close my eyes and feel as if I'm in the performing space with the musicians.

I listened to it last night and stayed up late to finish it. I had originally planned to watch a movie tonight, but the memory of the music convinced me to listen to the album again instead. (Got an earlier start this time.) :>) Listening once again to the seductive musical textures and cohesive instrumental sounds, I know I made the right choice.

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• kurtholz
                    • Feb 2005

Hey all

here are 2 links on ebay, i own just about everyone they sell, incredible sound quality and wide range of music, the susan wong cds ( 4 in all) blow me away, i love her voice and her quality of recordings.

Edited by Moderator: Sorry, but ebay links are not allowed here. It would be OK to list via cut and paste (and maybe some editing to remove prices, etcetera) the names and performers of the albums which you think are really special that were at the linked pages, but please don't include the links themselves or thinly veiled information leading to them.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Jan 2001

If you like the sound of the trumpet ( I love it, but I'm an old trumpet player) and a mellow one at that, give this guy a try. Chris Botti. I've played his When I Fall In Love cd several times. Great stuff.
                      My Homepage!

Comment

• Chris D
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Dec 2000

George, I don't know if I ever knew you were a fellow trumpet player. I've played all my life.

One guy I have MANY albums of is Phil Driscoll. I wouldn't be surprised if you've heard of him. Quite the excellent player. One of my favorite tracks in my collection to play is "Hosanna Holy Holy" from the album "I Exalt Thee"--Phil starts by singing, soft and low, and then about a third of the way into the song just EXPLODES, and I do mean EXPLODES, on the trumpet. Literally brings me to tears, and I can't stop myself from cranking up the volume to ear-bleeding levels.

Another trumpet solo I love is by the ever-popular Tower Of Power. On the album "Monster on a Leash", there is a fairly short, but very powerful trumpet solo on "You Can't Fall Up, You Just Fall Down".
                        CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                        - Pleasantville

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Jan 2001

Originally posted by Chris D
                          Another trumpet solo I love is by the ever-popular Tower Of Power. On the album "Monster on a Leash", there is a fairly short, but very powerful trumpet solo on "You Can't Fall Up, You Just Fall Down".
                          Oh,yeah, couldn't agree more. As for Driscoll, I have heard of him, but hate to admit I haven't heard him.

I haven't played the trumpet in years, but I still have an old Selmer in the closet. I played regularly in my 20s and 30s. I also did some pick-up work for radio and then some with local dance bands ( played 2nd trumpet usually) but once I got into management in the publishing industry, music had to take a back seat unfortunately.

I'm probably not as up to date on today's trumpeteers. In my time it was the likes of Louis Armstrong, Dizzy Gillespie, Ray Anthony, Harry James ( I really loved his trumpet sound), Eddie Condon, Cat Anderson ( who played a lot with Duke Elligton), Red Allen, and Al Hirt to name just a few.
                          Last edited by Chris D; 21 July 2015, 23:17 Tuesday.
                          My Homepage!

Comment

• Bob
                            • Jul 2000

Wow, how did this thread come back alive? I has been one of the best but, I was surprised to see it suddenly pop back up.

Mary Gauthier Mercy Now Absolute must have. Available on both CD and vinyl. Better yet, take a look at her website and see if she will be touring near you and go see her live.
                            I have been hooked on this album for about a year now. Saw her live a month or two ago and hope she will be coming back this way again soon.

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                              • Sep 2001

Wow, how did this thread come back alive?
                              Mozart's clarinet works did it. Check the dates on the posts and do the math. :>)

Now for something else very special:

Pietro Locatelli: Concerti Grossi op. 7,
                              Performed by Kammerorchester-Caarl Emanuel Bach conducted by Harmut Hanchen
                              Berlin Classics 0011332BC

I first heard part of this recording on XM Satellite radio, and was lucky enough to find the CD in stock at Joel's Classical Shop here in Houston. It is also available via Amazon.

The recorded sound is superlative and the performances are quite engaging. An Italian of the Baroque era, I had never heard of Locatelli before, much less heard his music. But in reading the liner notes, it seems like his life story could make a very interesting movie. His music is worth listening to BEFORE we hear it on the sound track.

For something contemporary, I recommend Dave's True Story: Sex Without Bodies which I've "rediscovered" with new appreciation after having left it on the shelf for a couple of years. It's still available for purchase (a local friend who recently heard my copy just bought a copy) and it's on the Chesky label, which means the recorded sound is superb, and the performances are first rate as well. It's jazz/pop fusion. NOT elevator music "smooth jazz", but accessible nevertheless, although the cool vocal delivery is perhaps too sly to ever be considered "main stream". That's a good thing, in my opinion.

Burke

Comment

• Bob
                                • Jul 2000

Antal Dorati- Prokofiev: Scythian Suite & Love for Three Oranges, LP another great classical recording.

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                                  • Sep 2001

Shostakovich Symphonies 1 & 9 played by the London Philharmonic Orchestra conducted by Bernard Haitink on the London label. If you already like Shostakovich's work, these are going to reinforce your appreciation of his artistry. If you're not familiar with it, these would make a good introduction.

Comment

• cobbpa
                                    • Apr 2005

edit: In reading over the thread, I'm not so sure this should be here. Someone delete it if it shouldn't be here. My apologies, if that's the case.

I think my suggestions fit in this thread..they're not the symphonies & highest-quality recordings, but just some music I'm into. I'll list a few of my favorites, they fall into the categories of indie- or alt- rock. If U2's "Vertigo" is too loud, you may want to stray away. Not that any of them sound like U2, but just to relate how "heavy" they are. I'm 20, if that means anything Anyway..

Brand New-Deja Entendu. This album displays several varieties of songs, has some very cool lyrics & a couple really good guitar parts. It's one I've listened to innumerable times and never skip any song.

I Can Make a Mess Like Nobody's Business (self-titled). I know the band/album name are strange, but it doesn't bother me once the music is going. It's a little mellower; think Coldplay for reference there. Some neat lyrics, a laid-back vocalist, and some creative melodies here. A good one to sit back & relax to during summer. Also, all throughout the cd there is the sounds from tv shows in the background that can be heard during quieter parts. Kinda weird, but interesting.

Say Anything-...Is a Real Boy. This is one you will love or hate. It's a trip. There is a parental advisory tag for a couple profanities & a drug reference, to warn those who are offended by such. A few crass lyrics may turn one away, but the heart of the cd is just striking. He sings about the importance of thinking for one's self, love during the holocaust, a broken love, among other things. If you do a little reading, you'll find that the lead singer is a young 20-something who's been in & out of psych wards for schizophrenia..I've had tickets to shows cancelled twice from that, but finally saw them last night The guy writes some intense and clever lyrics. Anyway, love it or hate it, it's an interesting album.

Lastly for now..Death Cab For Cutie-Transatlanticism. I'm sure some people on here have this, but many may not. I think this is their best album, by far. Some very mellow, relaxing songs, some more upbeat, poppish songs. A good mix, some poetic lyrics, some interesting insight. I think a lot of people would enjoy this one.
                                    Last edited by cobbpa; 08 April 2006, 03:03 Saturday.

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                                      • Sep 2001

Hey Phillip,

Not to worry -- your choices of music that is special to you are as valid as anyone elses even if they are not symphonies or in a high def format. I can also honestly state that all of them were "under the radar" for me, but that's why we have the thread -- to share what is interesting to us that others may not have heard, or heard of, before. Gives us something new to check out, and who knows, the new stuff (to others) might end up being among their their favorites, too.

So thank you for contributing to the discussion. I especially appreciate your discussions about the selections rather than just listing titles and artists -- helps us understand why they caught your notice and why we might find them interesting, too.

Since you are into indie or alt rock, you may have noticed earlier in the thread that a group I particularly like in that catagory is Slobberbone. I won't repeat what I said about them, but if you do check them out, I'll be interested in your opinion of them.

Enjoy!

Burke

Comment

• David Meek
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Aug 2000

Let's get this baby moving again!

I've dropped a quick blurb about this next album in another thread, but think it really should go here. The artist is Mike Oldfield whom is best known for his album Tubular Bells, the title track of which was used in the movie The Exorcist. While a fine work in its own right, the album I'm referring to is his 1996 work Songs Of Distant Earth

It's an edgy, New Age recording inspired by Arthur C. Clarke's novel of the same name. The recording quality is very good and brings out the best in the some-times complex layered instruments, harmonies and vocal tracks. It has some tracks that will require a sub or a seriously full-range pair of speakers (think something like Wilson MAXX's) to experience the entire audio range offered. This is one of those discs that I like to put on late at night and just "go away" with. Again, it's a bit edgy and probably not for everyone's tastes, but give it spin. It may surprise you.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                          • Jan 2001

I have Tubular Bells on LP and used to play the heck out of it. I wasn't aware of Songs Of Distant Earth but it sounds interesting.
                                          My Homepage!

Comment

• caleb
                                            • Aug 2004

Interesting - I have this album, but my cover is different.

I agree - a first class listen.

Comment

• David Meek
                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                              • Aug 2000

George, according to the AllMusic website Mike Oldfield has released something like 34 original albums - not counting compilations, best-ofs, etc.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                • Jan 2001

Originally posted by David Meek
                                                George, according to the AllMusic website Mike Oldfield has released something like 34 original albums - not counting compilations, best-ofs, etc.
                                                That's amazing, Tex. Guess I always thought he was a one album genius.
                                                My Homepage!

Comment

• Brandon B
                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                  • Jun 2001

I saw his Five Miles Out tour in Santa Monica many years ago. Still one of my favorite concerts.

Always struck me funny that the Hall & Oates song Family Man was actually his.

BB

Comment

• David Meek
                                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                                    • Aug 2000

Family Man is a Mike Oldfield song? Who'd have thought?

Comment

• Lex
                                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                                      • Apr 2001

Nora Jones, "New York City" is a fantastic CD that pre-dates her Come Away with Me LP. This one is more mainstream blues genre'.

I've enjoyed it a lot so far. There are a few others, to mixed reviews, but I will wait to comment in full when I have spent more time with them.
                                                      Doug
                                                      "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• 2bluechris
                                                        • Oct 2005

Vaughan Williams , LPO/Bernard Haitink on EMI .

Originally posted by dave
                                                        David: I am doing a review on Vaughan Williams Symphony No. 7 "Sinfonia Antartica" Two Words--- Absolutly Stunning!!! I am amazed at the power this has. My favorite part is on the 3rd track when the organist is playing the low register bass & then the pipe organ arrives. I give this CD :5: it makes you feel as if you are really there. Thanks for this one. (only 6.99 at silver platters)
                                                        Any of the discs that I have recommended on this thread are readily available at WWW.SILVER PLATTERS.COM. as well as many of the others listed here Once again Thanks....................

dave
                                                        I haven't heard the Bournemouth/Bakels recording of Vaughan Williams' "Sinfonia Antarctica", though a recording of it I can thoroughly recommend of this Symphony is by the London Philharmonic Orchestra conducted by Bernard Haitink, released on EMI.
                                                        Haitink is usually very good with music of this type, and he is truly excellent with this one.

He followed that one with a complete cycle of Vaughan Williams symphonies for EMI, though as they were recorded over a long period of time, and during which I was involved with some very time consuming matters thus did not notice these latters being released.

I have Sir Adrian Boult's recording of Vaughan Williams' 4th Symphony, which is frightenly good - music and performance - lovers of Shostakovich's most powerful symphonies, listen to this ! , and also to V.Ws' 6th which is similar but not quite as heavy and is a little jazz-like.

I haven't heard his other six, but will get to them either with Haitink's recordings, or Andre Previn's {also with a British Orchestra} as he is said to be very good with most of them.

I'll probably get the Naxos/Bakels of #7 for a comparative listen, given the enthusiasm a couple of Forum members have for it, and its not too risky at its price.

Chris

Comment

• MikeK
                                                          • Aug 2000

Really late to this, just becoming active again after a hiatus, but would like to mention some reference recordings I like. If they have been mentioned, my apologies, I didnt read the entire thread yet...

Yello: The Eye The best electronic music you will ever hear and the most meticulously recorded as well.

Gregg Field: The art of swing Former drummer for Count Basie doing the Count's hits. This recording is 5 star and the music is as well...but if you are in the mood for the real McCoy...

Count Basie: 88 Basie Street. A must own.

Clarence Gatemouth Brown: Gate Swings A true reference recording from bluesmaster gatemouth Brown, complete with a swing band.

Dire Straits: Love Over Gold Sure, Brothers in arms gets all the press but Love over gold sounds as good and has just as good music on it. Hard to find on vinyl, but worth the look.

Tift Merritt: Bramble Rose This poor girl is one of the finest country/folk acts working today and most people dont know her name. Get this record and I bet you buy her others after.

Mino Cinelu: Mino Cinelu I'm not sure how to describe this but it is splendid. Just go to Amazon and listen to some samples.

Dead Can Dance: Into the labyrinth OK, so Jim Morrison comes back from the dead and joins forces with a siren that can sing like no ones business and forms a band that produces goth music from India. Sorry, best I could do.

Gang of Four: Return the Gift The punk masters decided to re-record their greatest hits using modern technology. Wow! If you liked them then, you will like them now too. Wonderful production values and the best punk rock ever.

thats it for now...enjoy.

Mike

Comment

• Lute Nerd
                                                            • Oct 2007

Ronn McFarlane's INDIGO ROAD - Awesome!

This is what people are saying about Indigo Road -
                                                            "This is a very important recording, by far the finest I have hear by Ronn McFarlane. The disc contains works by Mr. McFarlane; lutenists generally perform music that was written anywhere from the middle ages to the Galant periods, but this presentation is completely modern. The sound engineering is of the absolute highest quality, and the performance is beautiful technically enthralling, and also astonishingly beautiful. However, there is so much more; some of the pieces are so beautiful, in that they convey a very personal message from the artist, and they are also very emotional. The visual graphics are stunning, and the recording is very well thought out. I give this recording the strongest recommendation, and the appeal crosses beyond the genre of classical music."
                                                            - Edward Martin

I just got this CD from the Dorian website. I HIGHLY recommend it!
                                                            Last edited by Burke Strickland; 27 October 2007, 10:02 Saturday.

Comment

• 1golfnut
                                                              • Nov 2007

Dynamic CD's and DVD's
                                                              DVD's
                                                              Eric Clapton - Live in Hyde Park. Sensational in DTS. A DVD that Eric Clapton is on fire.
                                                              Jarre - In China. Recorded in THX also has DTS sound. The whole room rocks when played loud and proud.
                                                              Fleetwood Mac - The Dance. The best Dolby produced DVD in my collection. Lindsay Buckinghams guitar and voice is supreme especially on Silver Springs. To top it off Tusk is awesome!!!
                                                              DVD-a
                                                              Tchaikovsky 1812.Telarc DVDA70541. This will sort your gear out and blow your mind and speakers. The cannon fire is a wrecker of equipment. the only problem is the quiet bits are recorded too low to say its an exceptional recording.
                                                              Carly Simon- No Secrets. Brings back to life the real beauty of her voice.
                                                              David Sanborn - Timeagain. Track 1 "Comin' home baby" Is a great track to highlight the 5.1 of DVDA.
                                                              Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms (20th Anniversary Edition) Stunning from start to finish. A disc you will never tire of!
                                                              Porcupine Tree - Deadwing. Tracks Shallow, Lazarus and Halo are stand outs for me. If you enjoy a solid Rocking Guitar then Deadwing is a standout track.
                                                              Note:
                                                              Can understand why DVDA has won the war over the two formats. DVDA is far more Dynamic to most of the SACD recordings I have.
                                                              SACD:
                                                              Patricia Barber - Cafe Blue. Great reference SACD recording. Some outstanding instrument and voice.
                                                              Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon. Just another great remastering of a Great outstanding disc.
                                                              Sara K - Play on words. Sara plays a 4 string guitar and sings like an angel, backed by a great trio of Jazz musicians.
                                                              CD's (2 Channel)
                                                              Jazz:
                                                              Chris Spheeris and Paul Voudouris - Europa. Stunning from start to finish. Looking for a great easy listening CD then this would have to be at the top of a list.
                                                              Chris Spheeris and Anthony Mazzella - Brio. Another Spheeris musical partnership that is spell binding.
                                                              New Age:
                                                              Tosca - j.a.c. Electronica Jazz. The use of Digital sounds is stunning. Will allow you to test the balance of your speakers, from top to bottom. Heidi Bruehl is a cool swinging Jazz number.
                                                              Buddha Bar - VI. My favorite Buddha bar album. B-Tribes Angelic voices sends me off every time I play it. Straight to Number one by Touch and Go - Really gets you into the feel of the Lyrics, Raunchy Trumpet with great drum along with a sensual voice really gets me going every time. Stunning!

The above music will give you a good cross section to test any speaker. If you are not afraid to venture into different music, do the artists a favour, "Buy" their music and enjoy.

Comment

• wkhanna
                                                                Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
                                                                • Jan 2006

Well done, 1golfnut :T
                                                                _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
                                                                ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• wkhanna
                                                                  Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
                                                                  • Jan 2006

I got this from Amazon last week and just gave it a spin tonight.

Think Al DiMeola (classical Latin style acoustic guitar with a modern up-to date flair) backed by himself....in a psychedelic acid rock fusion. One of the two covers is ‘Stairway to Heaven’, and IMHO, is the best cover of this worn out classic ever made. Almost enough to make me want to hear the original again!
                                                                  This CD is well produced and engineered, but no overly so. No over-compression worries here.
                                                                  It’s a modern take on classical technique with ‘balls’. You would swear there is a percussion section in the recording studio, but it is all done by the guitarists on the body of the instrument. This CD will test the LF abilities of your system.

While being an all acoustic work, it is clean, not over stylized, and to any guitar afficionado, will definitely deliver the goods!

Sound Quality - a solid 4 out of 5
                                                                  Performance - 5 out of 5
                                                                  _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
                                                                  ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• 1golfnut
                                                                    Junior Member
                                                                    • Nov 2007

Yo wkhanna,
                                                                    I have had this for a number of months now and agree that the version of Stairway to Heaven is brilliant. I also have the DVD of a concert in Ireland. WOW what can these two south Americans do or should I say NOT DO with their guitars. You would think there was a band backing them.
                                                                    If you are into great guitar work then you must get this CD/DVD set. While the DVD recording is raw it is still a damn good performance.
                                                                    The thing is, I bought it on the fact that it featured Led Zeppelins "Stair Way to Heaven" as I had never heard of them.
                                                                    It just goes to show you must take a punt some time! If it turns out to be a bum deal musically it adds to your collection or you can sell the thing. Nothing ventured nothing gained.

Comment

• Thelonious Funk
                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                      • Dec 2006

Forgive me if I double post for a little while, I can't remember what I had shared.

This is a great record and should be considered by itself, regardless of how you feel about Elvis Costello.

He's not everyone's cup of tea, and I know that, but I have played this for a ton of people and I have yet to find anyone who dislikes it.
                                                                      Hello, my name is Eric and I am a music addict.

Comment

• bigburner
                                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                                        • May 2005

Welcome back Eric. I thought we'd lost you for good.

I was very sad to hear that you had your entire CD collection stolen.

Thank you for the post on "The River in Reverse". I'll probably get it. I remember watching part of their DVD "Hot as a Pistol, Keen as a Blade" at a friend's place, and it was great. I had completely forgotten about it.

Keep the music posts coming. The music lovers on this forum may be a small group but they are full of enthusiasm.

Nigel.
                                                                        Attached Files

Comment

• Thelonious Funk
                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                          • Dec 2006

Nigel,
                                                                          I have the DVD and love it as well.

Now tell me kind sir.. Are you into Flight of the Conchords?

And where abouts in NZ are you? I have a friend in Auckland now, she asked me if you were on the north or the south island, and um... I have no idea.

Comment

• 1golfnut
                                                                            Junior Member
                                                                            • Nov 2007
                                                                            • 13

New Zealand

Hi Eric
                                                                            New Zealand is in the Pacific Ocean. On Google Earth If you Type in Whangarei New Zealand it will take you on a Journey to Paradise(That's where I live). If you cant be bothered doing that then visualise:
                                                                            Head south to Argentina once there turn right and head West (Go West young man) travel for 12 hours by plane and voila there below is New Zealand.
                                                                            New Zealand is a Beautiful Country of just over 4 million people, Just far enough away from the troubles of the world! We have the Kiwi as our Symbol. The Kiwi is a flightless bird. The joke is "that's why so many Kiwi's travel overseas" or the typical male thing is "That a Kiwi Eats Roots and Leaves". Flight of the Conchords have been a comedy Duo here for a while and have a good following due to their unique great comedy act. :P
                                                                            Cheers
                                                                            Kerry

Comment

• Thelonious Funk
                                                                              Senior Member
                                                                              • Dec 2006
                                                                              • 357

Kerry,

I know I'm an american, but I know my geography! I also know that in a recent census, over 5 percent of the people asked about their religion replied "jedi"

And I now know that you live on the north island. So does my friend Cinn, but she is in Auckland.

Last edited by Thelonious Funk; 22 February 2008, 16:41 Friday.

Comment

• Thelonious Funk
                                                                                Senior Member
                                                                                • Dec 2006
                                                                                • 357

Oh and tēnā rawa atu koe

Comment

• 1golfnut
                                                                                  Junior Member
                                                                                  • Nov 2007
                                                                                  • 13

tēnā, tēnā

tēnā rawa atu koe. (Thank you very much)
                                                                                  Just Testing to see if you were a worldly American or fall into the 60% that dont know where other parts of the world are or for that matter exist.

Comment

• Thelonious Funk
                                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                                    • Dec 2006
                                                                                    • 357

I know they exist, but matter? pishaw!

Comment

• bigburner
                                                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                                                      • May 2005
                                                                                      • 2649

Originally posted by Thelonious Funk
                                                                                      Nigel,
                                                                                      I have the DVD and love it as well.

Now tell me kind sir.. Are you into Flight of the Conchords?

And where abouts in NZ are you? I have a friend in Auckland now, she asked me if you were on the north or the south island, and um... I have no idea.
                                                                                      Yes Eric, I am into Flight of the Conchords. I have their CD "The Distant Future" and I am currently enjoying their television series too. I am amazed that a couple of Kiwi boys have achieved such a cult following in the US. Did you know they supposedly got their name from a dream in which one of them saw a formation of Gibson Flying Vs resembling a gaggle of Concorde aeroplanes?

I live in Christchurch which is the largest city in the South Island. We southern folk refer to the South Island as "the mainland".

If "Hot as a Pistol, Keen as a Blade" is as good as you say it is I'll have to get it.

Nigel.
                                                                                      Attached Files

Comment

• Thelonious Funk
                                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                                        • Dec 2006
                                                                                        • 357

I told my friend that and she went nuts!

She says since both islands are about the same size, there isn't a mainland, but the north has more of a population.

She also says that South Island men are more... "Blokey"

Comment

• Manning
                                                                                          Junior Member
                                                                                          • Oct 2012
                                                                                          • 25

John Hiatt......Dirty Jeans and Mudslide Hymns.

I know John Hiatt isn't totally off the radar, he's a musicians musician, but he's unknown enough that I thought I'd bring him up.

This is classic Hiatt in my opinion. Classic musicianship, blues based with inventive lyrics and inspired guitar work. Just excellent stuff. "Damn This Town" especially is a must hear.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                          Search Result for "|||"