X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Danbry39
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Sep 2002

Burke,

Off topic, but do you happen to have a recommendation for Felix Mendelssohn's War March of the Priests on CD?

Keith
    Keith

Comment

• Burke Strickland
      • Sep 2001

Keith -- How's that "off topic" in a thread about music we're recommending to each other? ;>)

Yes, I have a recommendation on that. The performance I've been partial to is by Leonard Bernstein and the New York Philharmonic. If you want it along with other classic marches, then go for the album: Great Marches -- if you'd like to hear more of Mendelssohn's other works, check out this disc with the Violin Concerto in E minor, Symphony No. 4 in A major ("Italian") and The Hebrides, overture in B minor for orchestra ("Fingal's Cave") Bernstein conducts Mendelssohn

Both CDs have "War March of the Priests"; it comes down to a matter of choice as to what other material you want on the album. BTW -- if you happen to be in Houston, Joel's Classical Shop has these and many other recordings of interest in stock, and they can special order just about anything ever released on CD or vinyl.

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• Danbry39
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Sep 2002

Thanks so much Burke. I had my eye on the second of your choices last night as I browsed through Amazon's offerings. That will definitely be the choice. I was lucky enough to see Pinchas Zukerman three times with my mom at the Dorothy Chandler Pavillion in L.A. before she passed on. Both she and I were electrified at his performances, so, til this day, he remains a favorite of mine.

Keith
        Keith

Comment

• Danbry39
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Sep 2002

All right, it's time to offer my initial impressions of some of the CD's I've bought as a result of this and other threads.

These are bound to change as I'm able to listen more, hence the "initial" designation.

First of all, I really like all the CD's quite a bit. I'm so tired of futilly searching for music and having to go back to tried and true groups, rarely expanding beyond that because I'm just not in touch with other music in that I really don't listen to music that much on radio, except for classical and jazz.

Alison Krauss and Union Station Live: I'm a big fan of blue grass and try to catch it live whenever possible. It just makes me happy and so does this CD. What amazes me most about Alison Krauss is that she nails notes she seemingly has no right hitting. Like Nitty Gritty, she and all her cohorts share a warmth and comraderie that is easily felt through their music.

Camel - A Nod and a Wink and The Snow Goose: Totally unaware of this group and found myself enjoying them. Certainly feel the influence of many other groups in their sound. The Snow Goose is more Pink Floydish and A Nod and a Wink is more Jethro Tullish, although neither fits these molds except in overall feel. I guess if I had to choose one over the other, I'd choose The Snow Goose as my mind just seems to drift with the almost vocal free sound.

The Flaming Lips - The Soft Bulletin and Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots: Well, The Soft Bulletin wasn't listed but I liked Yoshimi so much that I wanted more. Soft Bulletin offers many outstanding moments, but, imo, Yoshimi is the more consistent and accomplished recording. I just can't get tired of it. Totally addictive.

The Weavers at Carnegie Hall: Nothing new to me. Very familiar with the group, their inspirational story, and their music. Still, finally got the little push I needed to get the CD for myself and will always appreciate it not only for the wonderful music of the Weavers, but for their historical importance.

Vaughan Williams - Symphony No. 7 and Symphony No. 8: Have barely had a chance to attentively listen to this yet as I just got it. Yes, I know it's a completely different work than Debussy's La Mer, but some similar elements are there. Really like the recording quality (actually feel it is excellent), the contrast between the darkly swirling and sparkling sonic textures, the mood shifts between natural forces that at times seem serene and inviting and, at other time, seem coldly indifferent and omnipotent, and, yes, although it apparently wasn't accepted positively initially, the wind machine. Did get my first chance to listen critically to most of Symphony #7 last night, which, for me, means lying down comfortably, turning out all the lights, and letting my imagination go with the flow (pun intended). I could almost feel the ice bergs, tidal surges, and cold arctic wind. Very emotional, at times, almost haunting piece. On this first true listening, I liked it so much that I was upset when my wife told me I had to go with her to Walmart. Walmart??? Geez, Walmart over music. I'll get another chance tomorrow.

By the way, I may be way off in my interpretation of the piece. I know is that it is about Captain Scott's journey to Antactica, so it's easy for my mind to take it from there. You should see what my mind does on pieces like The Rite of Spring or Symphonie Fantastique. It's just that I enjoy classical music a lot more when I just let my mind wander in an almost dream like state.

Editing this to add that I've now listened to his Symphony No. 8. I know that his Symphony No. 7 is probably considered the masterwork here, but I also enjoy No. 8. Not dark and brooding like No. 7. It's energetic and enjoyable in its own right. I had fun listening to this one too.

Kate Wolf - Close to You: I agree with Dave that she is/was a very special performer. Absolutely nothing artificial about her or her songs, all graced with a warmth that makes you feel like she's singing to you personally. Reminded me more of a blue grass tinged Joan Baez than Eva Cassady. As a matter of fact, there was a group around the late 60's that I loved named Joy of Cooking (actually loved so much that I had to go up to $55 to win one of their CD's on auction at Ebay). Anyway, she reminds me spiritually of one of the two female lead singers that sang for that group.

Muddy Waters - Folk Singer: Have only one Muddy Waters CD beside this one and, for the life of me, don't know why I don't own more. He's the man - the macho, no nonsense blues man. I'm kind of shocked that the recording sounds so good as it was done in studio in 1964. So easy to see how influential he was on groups such as The Rolling Stones. I just listen to this one over and over and over and over.

Phil Keaggy - The Master and the Musician and Crimson and Blue:
          As the title says, he is a master guitarist and perhaps, along with Jeff Beck, one of the most versatile guitarists I've ever heard. Much of his virtuosity is heard on The Master and the Musician, but the one I keep putting on my CD player is Crimson and Blue. Crimson and Blue starts off as almost a Beatle tribute album, no direct Beatle songs, but very many Paul McCartney type songs. If you ever say the Tom Hanks movie, "Than Thing You Do" a lot of the music would fit right in. One thing though, he's a devout Christian and religious themes are what the lyrics are all about, but I didn't find them bothersome at all, more of a let's feel the joy type thing than being preachy or self righteous. For instance, he does a cover of one of my favorite Van Morrison songs, "When Will I Learn to Live with God". However, in the second half of the CD, he starts augmenting these songs with amazingly great blues guitar influenced solos.

Sorry for being so long, but wanted to thank all of you for the suggestions. CD for CD, this is probably the favorite of all my CD buying sprees and there have been many.

Keith
          Keith

Comment

• Bob
            • Jul 2000

Keith,
            Thanks for the insightful reveiws. It sounds like I need to give Camel a listen. I hope the Weavers CD is the 1963 Reunion one and not the one that came later. There is a day and night difference in both recording quality and performance. I found the Weavers live at Carnegie Hall a bit boring, where as the Weavers Reunion at Carnegie Hall, 1963 is known as one of the best live recordings ever, along with Harry Belefonte's two live recordings at Carnegie Hall. I will have to look at the linear notes and see if they both had the same engineer.

Comment

• Danbry39
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Sep 2002

No, definitely it was the 1963 version. At least, it's titled their reunion concert at CH, 1963. Regarding Camel, I really enjoy them, but I'd try to get a listen at Amazon first, just to be sure it's right for you.

Keith
              Keith

Comment

• dave
                • Aug 2003

Well, I finally reached half a century today. One of the highlights is a absolutly Beautiful disc. Kate Wolf Poet's Heart on the Rhino label # R271484 like my earlier post on another disc by Kate I feel this is every bit as good if not ever so slightly better. Keith glad to see you enjoy Camel & Kate I do have to agree with you that Camel Needs to be listened to before buying. I,ve said it before & probably will say it again thanks to all who have posted on this thread. For me it is a big help. Regards Dave
                Dave...

Comment

• Danbry39
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Sep 2002

Happy birthday Dave!!! arty:

Keith
                  Keith

Comment

• Bob
                    • Jul 2000

I have speant a lot of time the last two weeks listening to music to let my new turntable and cartridge break in. In doing so I have been running across albums I forgot that I had (really need some kind of organized system). One of the benifits of this new table is that my wife has suddenly discovered that she really likes a wide assortment of music and loves to spend a couple of hours each night listening with me. I guess it is true that a woman's ear is more sensitive because she has never really got involved in the music when I was playing mostly CDs.
                    Here are two more albums worth seeking out:

Rob Wasserman's Duet. Each track is Rob playing his stand up bass with a different singer or musician. You probably wont be able to find this on vinyl, I got lucky, but, it is available on CD.
                    Track one is with Aaron Neville who, through the magic of multiple tracks, is also the chorus.
                    Track two is with Rickie Jones and her 1828 guitar.
                    Track three is with Bobby McFerrin singing and playing his vintage body.
                    Track four is Rob Wassserman playing with Rob Wasserman.
                    Track five, Lou Reed ( my wife's favorite)
                    Track six, Jennifer Warnes.
                    Track seven, Dan Hicks
                    Track eight, Cheryl Bentyne
                    Track nine, Duet with violinest Stephane Grapppelli (this is the only track I could do without, great violin playing but, I can't stomach another version of Over the Rainbow).

Another great album is Give It Up To Love - Mighty Sam McClain. This is on the Audioquest label and you will probably have to live with the CD version. Audioquest sold all of its stock to Acoustic Sounds a couple of years ago and there are no new issues of their vinyl. Fortunatly for me, when I saw that they were giving up their vinyl I bought one of every record in there catolog while it was still available. You should have no trouble finding this on CD. Very good blues recording. Another favorite of my wifes.

On a side note. I have mentioned before how much I like Doug Mcleods music and have all of his albums and CDs. I also go down to hear him play at small blues cafe by the Hermosa peir as often as he is there. Yesterday I grabbed my surfboard and headed out on my strand cruiser (big tube bycyle for those of you that don't live near the beach) to see if the pastor of our church wanted to get away for a couple of hours in the water. Turns out that Doug Mcleod lives right across the street. Now, if I can just figure out how to meet him.

Comment

• David Meek
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

Dave, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!

David - HTGuide flunky
                      Our "Theater"
                      Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Ludwig Van Beethoven
                        • Oct 2003

Here are some of my favorites in no particular order

1. Ludwig Van Beethoven 9 Symphonien 5 disc set which includes all 9 symphonies and remastered by Deutsche Grammophon. Conducted by Herbert Von Karajan and the Berliner Philaharmoniker orchestra. The recording was made in 1963 and it is believed to be the best rendition of the 9th and the 5th for the powerful movements under Von Karajan and this is Karajan's best recording since the ones later in his career did not have the fire that the '63 recording had.

2. 1972 recording of Beethoven's Symphony No.9 conducted by Sir Georg Solti and the Chicago Symphony Orchestra. This is Solti's best recording since it has a very powerful tenor and soprano and it is a warm and rich recording. London 430 438-2.

3. Georg Fredrich Handel's opera Ariodante recorded in 1978 under Raymond Leppard and the English Chamger Orchestra. This is a Phillips digitally remastered 3 disc set and it is very, very precise and clean and the voices are impecable and so clear and the music is typical Handel and so sublime. Philips 442 096-2

Comment

• Danbry39
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Sep 2002

How nice to see you here Ludwig. Well, as promised, I'm going to submit my three classical under the radar selections, one well known, one known mostly by afficionados, and one obscure. I will include links to what others say about each recording:

1. Copland: Fanfare for the Common Man, Appalachian Spring Suite, and Third Symphony. Eiji Oue conducting the Minnesota Orchestra.

First off, while I have a Bernstein conducted version of the above, I haven't heard any of the recordings wherein Copland himself conducted. Oue, a protoge of Bernstein, does an amazing Copland here and the Reference Recording (HDCD encoded) is absolutely beautiful sonically, maybe the best I have in my library.

Link to other opinions

2. Henryk Gorecki - Symphony No. 3 - David Zinman conducting the London Sinfonietta.

This is controversial. For those that love it, it touches you in an emotional place few other recordings can. Dealing with Hitler's invasion of Poland and the ensuing carnage, Dawn Upshaw sings the stirring song of a Mother calling out to her dying son to please not leave her, to let her absorb the wounds herself, to not let die the son she has nurtured since birth.

Please read the reviews by people as touched as I am

Quartetto Gelato - Well, I have two CD's by this quartet and Amazon only carries one. In many ways, the most enjoyable classical music I have, from classic opera, to standards like Danny Boy, to Tangos, to traditional classical music, this quartet playing instruments ranging from oboe to clarinet, to accordion, violin, cello, guitar, etc. just rings my bell. I'm happy everytime I listen to it. The tenor of the group does a fine vocal job and all the musicianship is first rate. Besides, the clarinet/oboe player is just one sexy musician. Easy to visualize the Lady and the Tramp sharing the strand of speghetti while listening or to imagine oneself hearing the music in the air while walking down an Italian walkway at night.

Again, I hope somebody reads what others have to say

Keith
                          Keith

Comment

• Bob
                            • Jul 2000

Keith,
                            Thanks for the classical sugestions. I don't think that I'm the only one here that doesn't know much about classical music but, wants to learn about what 's worth getting. As soon as I'm mobile again I will take a drive to the Virgin megastore and see if I can find the suggestions. I finally broke down and got a decent cd player and good interconnects so don't mind listening to cd's anymore. Still prefer vinyl though. But right now it is hard for me to get up and turn over the records so, cds are getting a lot of play time.
                            Also, thanks for the great reveiws you have been giving. I have found this entire thread very entertaining and enlightning. In the past when I wanted to discover music I wasn't familiar with I used Amazon's listmania. It was hit and miss while this thread has been right on, at least for me, in all of the suggestions.
                            Ludwig,
                            How about some suggestions on recordings of some of your smaller and less known works?

Comment

• Danbry39
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Sep 2002

Thanks Bob,

I don't know that much about classical even though I listen to it pretty often. But, it's great to have Ludwig here. I too would love to hear more suggestions from Ludwig and perhaps some more from Burke.

Keith
                              Keith

Comment

• dave
                                • Aug 2003

In response to "Quartetto Gelato" First off I have a very extensive Musical Library ranging from Big Band to Bluegrass to Rock to Classical, upon my very first hearing of this disc, all I can say is that words Cannot translate the absolute Beauty that this disc reveals 5stars on this one. To tell you all just how moved I am by this I would easily rank this at the top 5 discs that I own!!! Thank you Keith for the referral of this one :P Dave...
                                Dave...

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Jan 2001

Quartetto is now on my to buy list.

My Homepage!
                                  My Homepage!

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                                    • Sep 2001

Here are a couple more for your consideration:

Mahler: Des Knaben Wunderhorn EMI classics great recordings of the century Elisabeth Schwazkopf Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau with George Szell conducting the London Symphony Orchestra

Astonishing realism ā€“ not only is it an awesome performance, but the sonics are first rate in every respect. Instrumental timbres are ā€œright onā€ ā€“the listener can easily distinguish between types of brass instruments and drums, with subtle microdynamics, and impressive bass -- voices of the singers are also full bodied and ā€œrealā€.

The songs are sung in German, but rather than trying to interpret the words as I listen, I prefer to just let the voices serve as additional musical instruments. The interaction between the human voices and musical instruments is just about perfect. I have the same music with Christa Ludwig and Walter Berry conducted by Leonard Bernstein, also an admirable performance, but the Szell is ā€œthe one to haveā€, in my opinion.

For some additional commentary on the performance on this CD (or to buy it if youā€™re in New Zealand):
                                    All hotels in Southeast of Brazil. The best selection of Southeast of Brazil hotels with reviews and maps. Book in advance and save.

Amazon stocks it:

Beethoven: Complete Chamber Music for Flute / JP Rampal

I am not a big fan of the flute. The notes it plays fall in the frequency range human hearing is most sensitive to, and if it is played too loudly, or just a bit off-key, it can quickly induce a headache. But Beethoven was a master at making just about any instrument sound its best musically (heck, he even made field artillery sound musical in Wellington's Victory) :>) and his chamber music for the flute is delightful. I especially like the Trio for Piano, Flute and Bassoon in G major, WoO 37 (that means without opus designation, but it still has an identifying number to distinguish it from other pieces without opus).

Rampal plays the flute with consumate artistry and the other players in the chamber ensemble are equally adept at performing these lesser known works by Beethoven as if they should be part of the standard repertoire. If these selections strike your fancy, then the next step would be some of Beethoven's less frequently played string quartets and piano sonatas. More on those later. (Of course, JP Rampal won't be along for the ride on those, but he's not the only one whose ever played Beethoven like they were born to do it.)

This disc is not expensive but may be hard to find at the big CD outlets. Last year, I special ordered it at Wherehouse and they came back two months later and said they couldnā€™t get it. On the other hand,, soon after it opened, Joelā€™s Classical Shop started carrying it as part of their regular stock. (Guess where I bought it?) :>)

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                                      • Sep 2001

"Four Stars"

1. George Phillipp Telemann: Fourth Book of Quartets -- American Baroque
                                      This delightful collection of six sonatas was recorded July 1989 at Skywalker Sound, a division of LucasArts Entertainement. So the sound is first rate, but the music is definately not "Star Wars" even though it is from long, long ago in a place far away. :>) Previousluy released by Koch, the current CD is by Music and Arts Programs of America, Inc. (CD 1066)

2. Brahms: Sonata for Two Pianos, Op34b - Martha Argerich, Lilya Zilberstein / Mendelssohn: Piano Trio No. 1 - Martha Argerich, Renaud Capucon, Gautier Capucon (EMI Classics 7243 5 57504 2 6)
                                      These are live recordings from the Lugano Festival, 2002. They sound superbly note-perfect, yet heart-felt. The audience is silent until their rousing applause at the end of each work.

3. Sibelius: The Complete Works For Violin and Orchestra - Christian Tetzlaff (violin) Danish National Symphony Orchestra conducted by Thomas Dausgaard (Virgin Classics 7243 5 45534 2 4)
                                      Includes an exellent performance of the Violin Concerto Op.47, as well as lesser known, but equally pleasing selections. Folks who have only heard Sibelius' "Finlandia" are missing a lot of enjoyable music.

4. The Unknown Prokofiev: Concerto in E minor Op 58. Concerto in G minor Op. 132 -- Alexander Ivashkin (cello), Russian State Symphony Orchestra conducted by Valeri Polyansky (Chandos CHAN 9890)
                                      I keep tripping across additional evidence that Prokofiev was a truly great composer, going beyond the familiar themes from ballet and movie scores (as great as they are, they don't tell the whole story of his genius). While this music is unmistakably his, it isn't at all a rehash of previous themes -- these performances of previously unrecorded works further demonstrate his expressive range.

Burke

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Jan 2001

Burke, stop it before I go broke.

My Homepage!
                                        My Homepage!

Comment

• David Meek
                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                          • Aug 2000

Hi gang! Let's get this thread rolling again, how about?

As a part of my move Northwest I've got lots of "evening" time as it gets dark at 4:45 PM or so. In conjunction with my move, I've retired my old Sony ES series CD changer for a Yamaha CD-R1000 as my transport. Feeding my Musical Fidelity A3.2CR DAC at the 192 kHz sample rate, this combination is giving me a very noticable improvement in the upper range and a bit more overall detail and clarity.

Long story short - I'm re-listening to my CD collection and having beaucoup fun doing it. Tonight's group may not be under the radar to you older members, but the younger ones may not have tried them out:

Def Leppard - On Through The Night
                                          Eric Johnson - Venus Isle
                                          The Doobie Brothers - The Captain And Me
                                          The Doobie Brothers - What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits
                                          The Fixx - Reach The Beach

All of these are rock from when that meant something other than the corporate mastered drivel that comes out now. Oooh, that sounded rather nasty didn't it?
                                          :

I'll be rummaging through the CD and vinyl collection a lot in the near future, so we'll see what comes floating to the top. . . .

Burke, Dave and Keith, do you have anything musically interesting going on?

David - HTGuide flunky
                                          Our "Theater"
                                          Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                                            • Sep 2001

Originally posted by David Meek
                                            Burke, ... do you have anything musically interesting going on?
                                            David - Scroll up. :>)

Burke

Comment

• David Meek
                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                              • Aug 2000

D'oh. :

David - HTGuide flunky
                                              Our "Theater"
                                              Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

Comment

• dave
                                                • Aug 2003

Hello and HAPPY NEW YEAR to EVERYONE!!!! well for my 2cents worth I'm going to Recommend two more "CAMEL" CDs Ist off is "Dust and Dreams" the disc was recorded back in 1991 and is inspired by John Stienbecks "Grapes Of Wrath" true to the chord is the best way to describe this Disc with plenty of Orchestration with Guitar blended in as well, a Beautiful piece of music. Secondly is "Harbour of Tears" this one was recorded back in 1996. The music is once again Orchestrated with Guitar tastfully intertwined. This one involves the subject matter of the Irish People leaving "Cobh Harbour" and migrating over to the "United States" . Both of these discs are wonderfully textured with lush sounds and packed with a good measure of Emotion....... :P BTW glad to see that your living in the Northwest David!!! what part did you settle at??? I may be your Nieghbor!!!!

dave
                                                Dave...

Comment

• David Meek
                                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                                  • Aug 2000

Hi Dave. I'm up on Orcas Island in the San Juans. Where's Graham?

My Camel experience is with my afore-mentioned vinyl - which is pretty much limited to their earlier works. First chance I have to go to the mainland, I'll stop at a CD/record store and. . . uh, just what ARE the CD/record stores available in the far northwest part of Washington?
                                                  :

So much to do. So little time.

David - HTGuide flunky
                                                  Our "Theater"
                                                  Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

Comment

• David Meek
                                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                                    • Aug 2000

Here's one that I'd forgotten about until I dug it out of the pile.

I've been spinning Alan Parsons' On Air which is his homage to air travel and space exploration, and have been REALLY enjoying it. It's a typical Alan Parsons effort - wonderfully mixed and very, very clean. Music ranges from a solo voice with piano, to orchestral arrangements, to more rock-ish songs, to a jet fly-by.

Maybe it's just me, but I've always thought that Alan Parsons has been overlooked as a musician and more appreciated as an engineer.

David - HTGuide flunky
                                                    Our "Theater"
                                                    Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

Comment

• dave
                                                      • Aug 2003

Graham is about 45 miles south of Seattle. As far as "Alan Parsons" goes, anyone who was involved with "Pink Floyds" DSOTM as well as some great output with "Al Stewert" definitly has my vote!!! have'nt heard the above mentioned disc yet :idea: as far as the best stores in the area I've found "Silver Platters" to be the best anywhere in this area, they have stores in Seattle, Southcenter, Bellevue, and possibly Bellingham. You can also reach them on line at WWW.SILVER PLATTERS. COM. Orcas Island, a BEAUTIFUL place to settle. as a second recommendation for Stores, I would recommend "Tower" based in Seattle U-District as well as Downtown. Good Luck!!!

dave
                                                      Dave...

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                                                        • Sep 2001

Originally posted by George Bellefontaine
                                                        Burke, stop it before I go broke.
                                                        Sorry, George -- I don't mean for you to go broke, :>) but David asked: "do you have anything musically interesting going on?" and recently, I have, so here are a few more classical albums (and one jazz) for your listening pleasure:

Rachmaninov/Frank Cello Sonatas Steven Isselis, cello; Stephen Hough, piano; with Rebecca Evans, soprano (on two selections * by Frank) [hyperion CDA67378]
                                                        Includes Sergei Rachmaninovā€™s Prelude Op 2 No 1, Oriental Dance Op 2 No 2, Sonata for cello and piano in G minor / Cesar Frankā€™s Le sylphe * M73, Sonata for cello and piano in A major M8, Panis Angelicus *
                                                        Evans has a clear, unwavering voice, but I prefer the instrumental-only tracks, which comprise about 90% of the album. Folks who like the eerie sounds of Vaughan Williamsā€™ Antarctica Symphony will find something to enjoy here, too. Although the whole collection is performed with musical mastery, the playing on the Rachmaninov Sonata for cello and piano in G minor is absolutely spine tingling ā€” especially the Andante movement, which will make you wish it went on longer to hear more of the achingly melancholy melody of the cello in counterpoint to the piano. Sound is first rate all the way through.

The Lyrical Trumpet Phil Snedocor,- trumpet, Paul Skevington- organ [Summit Records DCD 349]
                                                        Watch out Telarc ā€“ hereā€™s another label putting out stunning sounding classical recordings, and the repertoire is interesting too. Youā€™ll listen to these selections and every so often say to yourself ā€œI know that from somewhereā€ ā€“ not all of these pieces were originally written for this instrumental combo, (such as Pavane by Faure, Einā€™ feste Burg ist unser Gott by Bach, Adagio for Strings by barber, Olympic Hymn by Bernstein, Tuba Tune by Cocker) but all end up pleasing the ear as played by these talented musicians.

Rubenstein: Chopin Piano Concerto No. 2 and other works Includes Concerto for Piano and Orchestra No 2 in F minor op 21 Artur Rubenstein, Piano / Carlo Mario Giulini conducting the Philharmonia Orchestra / Ballade No 1 in G minor Op 23, Mazurka in C minor Op 53 No 3, Scherzo in E minor op 54, Etude in E flat minor op 10 no 6, Etude in F major op 10 no 8, Etude in F minor op 10 no 9, Grande Polonaise brillante precede dā€™un Andante spianato op 22 Artur Rubenstein, Piano [BBC Music BBCL 4105-2]
                                                        Live performances by one of the foremost interpreters of Chopinā€™s works, arguably the best since Chopin himself. Recorded in mono, the ā€œliveā€ part is brought home by the intermittent audience noises, including shuffling in chairs, coughing, etcetera. But instead of filtering that out when re-mastering for CD, so the music wouldnā€™t get muffled , the engineers left everything in ā€“ and ā€œeverythingā€ includes the magical keyboard performances which are well worth having despite the apparent ill health of some members of the audience. :>)

Jacques Loussier Trio -- Handel Handel's Water Music & Royal Fireworks played by the Jacques Loussier Trio [Telarc CD-83544]
                                                        I have nearly a dozen other recordings on LP, CD and SACD of these works, at least a few of which are more satisfying if your interest is really in Handel and his music. But if you like jazz and donā€™t mind a few improvisational riffs on the catchy tunes, this set is a lot of fun. And, being from Telarc, the sonics are of the ā€œyou are in the club where they playedā€ kind of quality.

Rainbow Body Robert Spano conducting the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra / Barber Symphony No. 1, Copland: Appalachian Spring, Higdon: blue cathedral, Theofandis: Rainbow Body [Telarc CD-80956]
                                                        Even if you hardly ever listen to classical music, youā€™ve probably heard at least part of Appalachian Spring even if you didnā€™t catch the name, since it has been ā€œquotedā€ in movie scores and used as background music for commercials, etcetera, but the rest of the selections on this disc are much less well known. However, that makes them even fresher for those of us who already have a half dozen versions of ā€œAppalachian Springā€ in our collections. But its inclusion here is not mere filler ā€“ it is as well performed as the other pieces, and all benefit from Telarcā€™s more recent refinements to their recording techniques (still system demo quality but not quite as in-your-face with the details or in-your-gut with the kettle drum, attributable to changes in their miking technique, Iā€™m told).

Kodaly ā€“ Hary Janos Suite, Dance of Galanta, Peacock variations, Dance of Marosszek, Concerto For Orchestra / Antal Dorati conducting the Phiharmonia Hungarica [London 2CD 443 006-2]
                                                        These discs contain all the major orchestral works of Kodaly which combine old and new, East and West , folk music and art music. The performances are about as authentic and idiomatic as weā€™ll ever hear, and the recordings are first rate. I especially enjoy the dynamics and playful instrumentation of the Hary Janos .

Mozart -- Itzhak Perlman Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart's Violin Concerto No. 3 K216, Itzhak Perlman, violin / Berllin Philharmonic conducted by Itzhak Perlman; Adagio and Fugue, K546; Symphony No.41 'Jupiter', K551 / Berllin Philharmonic conducted by Itzhak Perlman [EMI Classics 7243 5 57418 2 0]
                                                        Intended to showcase Perlman's capabilities as a conductor as well as his talent as a solo violinist, the album succeeds admirably. It doesn't hurt that the music by Mozart is practically indestructable -- even mediocre conductors and orchestras can get by with pedestrian readings of the "Jupiter". But it is more of a delight to hear it in the hands of truly gifted artists such as we find here. Not surprisingly, though, the most entertaining selection is the Violin Concerto, where Perlman demonstrates once again why his name is synonymous with consummate artistry on the violin.

Enjoy!

Burke

Comment

• David Meek
                                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                                          • Aug 2000

Adagio for Strings by barber,
                                                          Hmm, just wondering here Burke, but should that be "by Barber", or is it possibly "by a barber"? :B

David - HTGuide flunky
                                                          Our "Theater"
                                                          Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                                                            • Sep 2001

Originally posted by David Meek
                                                            Hmm, just wondering here Burke, but should that be "by Barber", or is it possibly "by a barber"?
                                                            Here's the buzz: listen to the recording and then decide for yourself. :>)

Burke

PS - I'm glad to see you that actually read the post that closely. Please let me know if I transposed any of the digits in the CD catalog numbers. :>)

Comment

• David Meek
                                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                                              • Aug 2000

Buzz? Barber? Oh, hahahahaha :rofl: Smartypants.

David - HTGuide flunky
                                                              Our "Theater"
                                                              Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                                                                • Sep 2001

Heads up on Espana availability!

Espana (and other works) played by the London Symphony Orchestra under the baton of Ataulfo Argenta on the Decca label is now back in print on CD in the US! It is available at Amazon and in Houston you can usually get it "off the shelf" at Joel's Classical Shop (Weslayan at Bissonet) -- unless someone reading this has just snapped up their last "in stock" copy :>) (but it can be re-ordered). :>)

Burke

Comment

• Danbry39
                                                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                                                  • Sep 2002

Thank you Burke!!! I've wanted to hear this for quite a long time. I ordered it, along with some Janacek and Dvorak as soon as I saw your posting. The only thing that concerns me is that it is listed as an item that occasionally is out of stock. I've had some pretty bad look with items thus designated. I ordered a Szell recording of Schubert's symphonies Nos. 8 and 9 last December and it never came through. Finally, I had to order it from London last week. So, cross your fingers.

Since I've gotten rather deep into classical lately, I've thought about posting some recordings I really like here. They wouldn't be "under the radar" recordings to a classical collector like yourself, but I'm finding that a lot of people just don't know where to start. When you think of all the periods, and styles, and composers, and orchestras, and soloists, and conductors, it's overwhelming.
                                                                  Keith

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                                                                    • Sep 2001

Keith -- You're welcome! I hope they have Espana in stock and send your order promptly. You will be amazed when you hear how good it sounds and then see what year it was recorded ( 1957). I'll also be looking forward to your reviews of other classical recordings that you like.

Another great recording that has just recently been reissued as part of EMI's "British Composers" series after being out of print for several years: "To Their Majesties & Queen" featuring Elgar's stirring "Coronation Ode" and "The Spirit of England" and Parry's rousing anthem "I was glad". The album also includes Elgar's arrangement of the British National Anthem and his short Offertory choral work "O hearken thou".

The performances of the National Anthem, the "Coronation Ode", and "I was glad" were originally recorded in 1977 and digitally remastered for CD in 1995, at which time the disc caught the attention of an editorial staff member of "The Absolute Sound" who included it in his list of all time favorite system-demo-quality discs. Unfortunately, I didn't act quickly enough to procure a copy during its very short window of availability that time around and never got to hear it. Until today. ;>)

Holy Moley! I now know why the "Absolute Sound" guy was so favorably impressed. The instrumental playing is superb, the vocals (both choral and soloists) are flawless and the performance ranges from soft, delicate nuances barely whispered to thunderous passages that will give your sub a chance to subtly prove it exists, :>) all coming from an absolutely quiet background.

If you like superlatively reproduced sound and are "into" British classical music from the early twentieth century and/or if you dig choral music, you'll enjoy this. If you have ever graduated from any school anywhere in the Western world, you'll probably recognize at least one of the melodies quoted in the "Coronation Ode" from one of Elgar's more familiar works, :>) reportedly at the suggestion of the king for whom it was written. (It works effectively, as if it might have been written originally for this work instead of adapted from another.)

With its reference quality sound, excellent performances and the addition of material not on the original disc, while still being sold at a relatively bargain price, this CD is a great value. But if this CD sounds appealing to you, it is probably a good idea to buy it right away, either online or at a local retailer (if you live in Houston, Joel's Classical Shop carries it), since these kinds of titles have a habit of going out of print too quickly. Highly recommended.

Burke

Comment

• glangston@socal
                                                                      • May 2004

Seconding some selections

Boz Scaggs Boz Scaggs, an older album I had on vinyl, "Brother Can You Spare a Dime" is a great track.

Iz (Israel Kamakawiwo'ole) sings Judy's "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" and "What a Wonderful World" on the album Facing Future

I was lucky to find Jennifer Warnes Famous Blue Rain Coast used a while back. There is a rockin version of "First We Take Manhattan" that is my favorite.

Sound tracks have gotten some recent popularity and I remember I liked Last of the Mohicans

Doobie Brothers Captain and Me I still have on Nautilus vinyl and it's excellent all the way through (music and sound) so I suspect the CD would be good also.

Comment

• Danbry39
                                                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                                                        • Sep 2002

When I first started this thread, the Boz Scaggs recording you mentioned was in my first post. Brother Can You Spare a Dime is a classic and Duane Allman's guitar solo is amazing.

So, in that we must have some similarities in taste, I'm a gonna be reading closely when you post. Glad you brought up Boz again. That CD deserves it.
                                                                        Keith

Comment

• Rock Dog
                                                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                                                          • Jan 2003

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000095J2U/qid=1067992129/sr=8-9/ref=sr

Tipper(Artist)-Surrounded(the disc).

In my humble opinion there IS NO better DVD-A out there right now. The music is a little strange, and takes a little getting used to if you are strictly a mainstream fan of any genre. But if you have an open mind, and you like New Age, or New Age/Jazz'ish stuff (say Blue Man Group) you might end up really enjoying the music. I've heard it classified as "Down Tempo and Ambient," I would agree. It's serious chill out music.

BUT... if you want what I consider (and many, many reviewers out there) to be the best DVD-A disc to date, this is it. The mix is just outstanding...

Here is a link to Amazon, where you can check out a few of the tracks

It comes in regular 2 channel CD as well. And it sounds great as well.

But if you want to hear what your 5.1 DVD-A system can do, THIS is the disc. Especially if you're going to demo pre/pros. Listening to one unit with the TIPPER DVD-A as source, and then listening to the other pre/pro using the same disk. Would certainly show you what the differences between the 2 pre/pros are.I know I may sound a little overboard. But IMHO, it's that damn good.

I posted this in another thread some time ago, and decided to add it here. It fits better here anyway.
                                                                          -Thomas-

As long as people will accept crap, it will be financially profitable to dispense it.

Hey You! Make sure you stop by the HTguide After Midnight section. It's FUN!!!

Comment

• Bob
                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                            • Jul 2000
                                                                            • 802

GOOD NEWS!
                                                                            Espana is back in print. Here is a blurb from the Acoustic Sounds website:
                                                                            Rimsky-Korsakov: Capriccio Espagnol
                                                                            Granados: Andaluza Danza espaƱola No. 5
                                                                            Chabrier: EspaƱa
                                                                            Moszkowski: Spanish Dances Book 1
                                                                            London Symphony Orchestra

Sonically, this record is one of the best ever produced by Decca (recorded in 1956/57). The unprepared listener is literally swept off his or her feet. To better enjoy this tremendous experience, we would advise the listeners to put their feet up, relax, and listen with rapt attention. A Do-not-disturb sign on the door is to be recommended. What rushes out to the connoisseur from the loudspeakers lets them feel the rousing breath of the music straight away. The LSO, conducted by Ataulfo Argenta, plays with a vitality rarely achieved. They play with animation, vivacity and pure enjoyment, with precision and lucidity. The pieces chosen are a carefully assembled medley of Spanish music. Interestingly enough, most of the music was written by non-Spanish composers. All in all, it has become a legendary recording, which caused quite a stir even in its mono version. The FFSS version ranks among the very best recordings ever issued.

I agree with Glangston that Jennifer Warnes is a must have. I have been listening to her album "The Well" (Cisco, 200 gram vinyl) a lot the last few weeks. I hadn't listened to "Famous Blue Raincoat" in years and the "Well" made me pull it out and put it in my car system. I had forgotten how much I liked her take on Leonard Cohen. Going on line I found a record store in London that had a unopened album and last night it arrived. Now I can listen to it on vinyl and cd.

Comment

• NMyTree
                                                                              Senior Member
                                                                              • May 2004
                                                                              • 520

#83
                                                                              Wow, a very cool topic.....with tons a good suggestions!!!

I have a few...myself.

Armik - Rubia (Album Title)

Armik is an amazing guitarist who plays a fusion of Latin, Rumba, Samba, Bolero and other elements. The sound quality of this CD is excellent. One of my favorite songs on this album is "Veil Of Desire". The sound quality of his albums are always very good.

Here are some other Armik albums, that are great; " Malaga " , " Isle De Sol " , " Amor De Guitarra " and " Rosas Del Amor " .

Dave Weckl- Rhythm Of The Soul and Synergy.

Two excellent albums by Weckl and his band.....in terms of musical content and sound quality.
                                                                              Tony

Comment

• NMyTree
                                                                                Senior Member
                                                                                • May 2004
                                                                                • 520

#84
                                                                                C'mon, where's the love for Armik.....and Mr. Weckl :B :B
                                                                                Tony

Comment

• Danbry39
                                                                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                  • Sep 2002
                                                                                  • 1584

#85
                                                                                  Burke,

Finally got a hold of Espana. Really have enjoyed it and, for a non-classical listener, so has my wife. Didn't know that I'd heard it so often in the past. Very familiar to me. Was it in a lot of movies or the like in the '50's or early 60's? That's my association. Agree with Bob's excellent review.

NMyTree,

Haven't heard of Armik, so I can't comment. I will look to see what I can find though.

Now, as far as my personal journey into classical music, I've listened to it for decades, but the last six or so months have really become immersed in it. I've bought an obscene number of CD's in that time. Some of my recommendations will be well known to afficionados of the music; some won't. I'll probably keep my recommendations short and sweet and do a few whenever the mood hits me.

Today, I'll start with a Brahm's recommendation. Most know him for his symphonic work, which I really like, but I'm going to push a recording of his Piano Concertos, Nos. 1 and 2, with Leon Fleisher on the piano and George Szell leading the Cleveland Orchestra. This is an absolutely amazing recording. Fleisher, who would later lose the use of one hand, was a great pianist in his short (two handed at least) career. His technique is flawless and can play both with fire and intensity or lyrically when called apon to do so. The orchestra, especially the strings, seems to dance effortlessly as a compliment to his playing. Really a great work. I think the recordings are from '58 and '62, but, with that in consideration, they have very nice, but not reference, quality.

Another good recording of the second piano concerto is the Sviatoslav Richter recording on RCA where it is paired up with Beethoven's wonderful Sonata No. 23, "Appassionata". Either of the two is great, but, for Brahms, the tip of my hat goes to Fleisher. I will offer a recommendation for Richter in the future though.

The second recommendation this time around is a composer Josef Suk, who would probably fall into the later-Romantic period. Suk is primarily associated with Dvorak, but he also reminds me a lot of my personal favorite symphonist, Mahler. Both CD's I'm going to recommend are mostly tone poem type music, but, to my ears, are wonderful.

They are: Summer Tale and Fantastic Scherzo with Mackarras leading the Czech Philharmonic and Belohlavek with the same orchestra performing Asrael, Fairy Tale, and Serenade for Strings.

If you like Dvorak or Mahler, I'd think you'd like these. The compositions shimmer with emotion and feeling, particularly Asrael. Dvorak mentored Suk and Suk married Dvorak's daughter. When Dvorak died, Suk began the composition as a tribute, but, during the process, Dvorak's daughter (Suk's wife) also died and he spent a few years revising/completing the work. It is most definitely darker than works like Summer Tale and absolutely burns with emotions of loss and despair.

As much as I like the tone poems of Dvorak, to me, Suk extends into Mahler's world with his intensity.

Both of the Suks have very nice recording quality.
                                                                                  Keith

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                                                                                    Moderator
                                                                                    • Sep 2001
                                                                                    • 3161

#86
                                                                                    Originally posted by Keith
                                                                                    Didn't know that I'd heard it so often in the past. Very familiar to me. Was it in a lot of movies or the like in the '50's or early 60's?
                                                                                    While Chabrier's music has been used in several foreign films, its most widely heard incarnation was as a pop tune. I hate to mention this, since it might "ruin" Espana for you the same way the Lone Ranger has more or less taken over the William Tell Overture (can anyone listen to that without mentally yelling "Hi ho Silver"?) :>) But you might be remembering the Espana tune from its being bowdlerized as Perry Como's hit song "Hot Diggity" -- ("Hot diggity, dog diggity - Boom! What you do to me...") -- which reached #1 on the Billboard charts in 1956.

I'm intrigued by your Brahms recommendations. I've got Rubenstein's legendary performances of the Piano Concertos 1 & 2 with Fritz Reiner and the Chicago Symphony on CD, and Rudolph Serkin with Szell and the Cleveland on vinyl, but not Leon Fleisher. I'll have to give that one a listen -- if it's Szell, it's gotta be swell :>) and Fleisher certainly has a sterling reputation s well. Another performance of Beethoven's Appassionata piano sonata that you might enjoy is by John O'Conor on Telarc Stereo CD-80118 along with the Pathetique and Moonlight sonatas.

Since I am really "into" both Dvorak's and Mahler's music, I'll have to check out the Suk recommendations as well. Sounds fascinating from your descriptions. Thanks for sharing thise suggestions.

Burke

Comment

• Danbry39
                                                                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                      • Sep 2002
                                                                                      • 1584

#87
                                                                                      Hey there Burke,

Szell conducted the Piano Concertos with different pianists, reportedly with great results all around. The Rudolph Serkin with Szell is supposed to stand right up there with the Leon Fleisher. Again, from what I've read, Szell's work with the London Symphony didn't produce as good results as his work with the Cleveland.

As far as Suk, I think you'd really enjoy him given your love of Dvorak and Mahler. The Czech Philharmonic is widely associated with doing his work very well and I'd start my search there.

My wife slapped herself on the head for not recognizing Espana with Perry Como. She's a big fan of Perry Como, although he isn't someone I listen to personally.
                                                                                      Keith

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                                                        Mad Max Moderator
                                                                                        • Aug 2000
                                                                                        • 15261

#88
                                                                                        Colleen Sexton "Greatest Find"

Collen Who? Well, she's a sort of fold/blues player/writer, and she's got a lot of talented backing people on her Album "Greatest Find" from the Accord Music Group. Oh, did I mention this is a Hybrid SACD? So whether your a DSD multi-channel fan, or just into hard core Redbook reproduction, this disk has got something for you. 12 cuts, so you gets your money's worth. Very nice playing and sound quality. Not the same genre as Alison Krause, but similar quality of playing and production values.

Check it out....\

Colleen Sexton online

~Jon
                                                                                        the AudioWorx
                                                                                        Natalie P
                                                                                        M8ta
                                                                                        Modula Neo DCC
                                                                                        Modula MT XE
                                                                                        Modula Xtreme
                                                                                        Isiris
                                                                                        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                                                        Minerva Monitor
                                                                                        Calliope
                                                                                        Ardent D

In Development...
                                                                                        Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                                                                                        Obi-Wan
                                                                                        Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                                                                                        Modula PWB
                                                                                        Calliope CC Supreme
                                                                                        Natalie P Ultra
                                                                                        Natalie P Supreme
                                                                                        Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                                                                                        Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Danbry39
                                                                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                          • Sep 2002
                                                                                          • 1584

#89
                                                                                          Well, dang Jon, piqued of interest by what you'd written, I went to Amazon to give her the old sampler listen and I was pretty amazed. They have five samplers and each one sounds like a completely different style. The most impressive thing was she is the antithesis of the canned sound too often released these days. A very good find and one I put on my wish list immediately.

Now, for another, well maybe two, under the radar classical recommendations:

The first is this one by Bartok. First off, Bartok isn't what I'd call for the timid. In works like his string quartets, he can be exceptionally challenging. Conductors like Reiner have long been associated with his work, but I want to say that Ivan Fischer is stunning. I bought this mainly for The Miraculous Mandarin and it is not only sonically very fine, but the music dances and thrusts and pulsates. It will be listened to many times in the upcoming days. It's very jazzlike in sections.

Recently, I started reading a bit on Robert Simpson's work. He, too, is pretty non-traditional. Unlike composers like Mahler and Bruckner, who wear their emotions on their sleeves, his passion is cold and calculating. His music jabs and punches, building to powerful crescendos. At times, I wonder who a single conductor can lead the performance single handedly, so much is going on at once. Because his music is now available at BerkshireRecordOutlet for something like $6.49 a cd right now, two symphonies per cd, I took a try and ordered his symphonies Nos. 3 and 5. The CD arrived yesterday and I've listened to it several times since. I even ordered four more of his symphonies on two CD's today before they're sold out. Like the Bartok, very nice recording quality. Classical music on adrenaline.
                                                                                          Last edited by Danbry39; 16 July 2004, 09:50 Friday.
                                                                                          Keith

Comment

• will1066
                                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                                            • Aug 2003
                                                                                            • 660

#90
                                                                                            I have a recommendation: Jamie Cullum's "twentysomething". He's a young up-and-comer Brit jazz/pop musician. The songs on the album are great, and the recording quality is flat-out fantastic. I think the album is steadily climbing on the charts around the world, and people are starting to take notice.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                            😀
                                                                                            😂
                                                                                            🥰
                                                                                            😘
                                                                                            🤢
                                                                                            😎
                                                                                            😞
                                                                                            😡
                                                                                            👍
                                                                                            👎
                                                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                            Search Result for "|||"