X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NMyTree
    • May 2004

What is Soft Machine, Alex? :B

Thanks guys. I'm really enjoying this, lots of fun.

Glad you guys enjoyed my questions, too.
    Tony

Comment

• Danbry39
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Sep 2002

Oh yes, yes, yes, yes.

We have a winner!!!

Soft Machine did open for Hendrix on I think his first major headliner tour in the U.S. Sidenote: my wife, before I met her, went to the Hollywood Bowl to see The Monkeys and Hendrix opened for the Monkeys. Weird mismatch, huh?

Anyway, on their second album, they did two tracks, A Concise British Alphabet -Part 1 and Part 2. How else do you think I learned the alphabet?
      By the way, Soft Machine are a pretty great group in my book.
      Keith

Comment

• David Meek
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Phooey, I thought it might be Gentle Giant. And yes, that would have been an "interesting" pairing. :E FWIW, I've never heard any Soft Machine. How would you describe their music? Hendrix-esque?

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• dave
          • Aug 2003

Soft Machine,,, two words describe thier music,

"Creative Talent"

these guys can take it to the stratosphere, I've got to go listen to "Thirds"
          before I do I've got to say that you know your music nmytree!!!!

I am impressed.

David, if you have a copy of E G B D F go and take a listen to it you will
          notice that somthing occurs over and over again!!!

Regards, Dave.
          Dave...

Comment

• Danbry39
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Sep 2002

I only have their first 3 CD's. The first two are quirky psychedelia, something like a cross between the Itchycho Park era Small Faces and the Pink Floyd of Piper at the Gates of Dawn. Their third was originally released as a two disc vinyl LP, with one song per each side of the LP, but, on CD, they fit it all onto one disc. This is where they, imo, really showed their stuff. They branched out into jazz on this recording, with two of the cuts being very avant guardish and experimental in their approach. It's the other two cuts, Slightly All The Time and Moon in June, which I feel are the two masterpieces of the group. Slightly All the Time is much more straightforward in its approach to jazz and features some great sax playing. Like Stravinsky's Rite of Spring, each time I listen to it, my mind is all over the place with images, usually thematically revolving around meeting someone and falling in love...with intensity. Moon in June, which has some great bass playing, is about feeling totally isolated. The singer plaintively shows the pain of being English and all alone in New York, like a dream gone wrong, and longing for what he left behind.

Soft Machine, like anything, is not for everyone's taste, but I love it. These are extremely talented musicians pushing their personal envelope.

The biggest pity is that all three CD's are horrible sonically. Nothing like what I've heard from soft machine on vinyl. The sounds are almost like they're being filtered through cotton. I'd buy a good remaster of Third in a second, but, unfortunately, they probably weren't popular enough to warrant the studio's attention.
            Keith

Comment

• Danbry39
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Sep 2002

Better yet, read what others say about the CD here. The price is only $10.98 for what was once a great double LP.
              Keith

Comment

• glangston@socal
                • May 2004

Blues Singers

They're blues singers and their last names are Anderson and Council. Why are they famous?

What is the name of the electrician guy who put in my air-conditioning. Hint: he was a guitarist in a solo band with a member of Black Sabbath. The artist from Black Sabbath lives in Seal Beach, CA and my electrician lives in Huntington Beach.

I'm going out to find some Phil Keaggy CD's, especially the Beatles stuff and the one where he makes his axe sound like pipes.
                Last edited by glangston@socal; 09 June 2004, 14:10 Wednesday. Reason: style

Comment

• Danbry39
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Sep 2002

Don't have an answer to your trivia, but I do have three Phil Keaggy CD's. The one with the sound of bagpipes is The Master and The Musician. According to what I read, Sunday's Child is the most Beatlesque of all his recordings (it's the one where they apparently bought Ringo's old drum set for). Unfortunately, it's out of print and can go for a very high premium. IMO, of the three I own, Crimson in Blue is the absolute best. It has some Beatle-like tunes, but it also has some very powerful other music as well.
                  Keith

Comment

• glangston@socal
                    • May 2004

Keaggy

Yes, Keaggy and Glass Harp recordings (old ones from the 70's) are hard to come by and expensive. There do seem to be some newer ones (reunions) and a Carnegie concert that are available and reasonable, all live recordings.

Remember when you hear "which one's Pink?" in a PF song. Well, it was Pink Anderson, the 1st half of the question, Floyd Council being the second half, both blues singers and namesakes of the band.

We were remodeling our house in Huntington Beach and the contractor, a musician himself had a guy named Rue Phillips hook up the air conditioning and a few other things. He was a guitarist with the Bill Ward Band, Bill, being the drummer in Black Sabbath. Rue probably would have liked to have been part of BS but Tommi was pretty much THE guitarist all the way through.

My questions weren't proper trivia, more like jeopardy LOL.

Thanks for the info on the Keaggy items. It will enable my search considerably.

Comment

• Danbry39
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Sep 2002

And thank you for the return information on Phil Keaggy. I have to tell you your trivia (jeopardy) question was one of the best.

Have very fond memories of Seal Beach from when I was growing up in the Palisades.
                      Keith

Comment

• glangston@socal
                        • May 2004

Phil Keaggy

I found and ordered Live at Carnegie Hall, Strings Attached, and Crimson in Blue. Also found Master & the Musician, which seems to be MORE available and Sunday's Child (rarer) on eBay for $30, "but it now. " Apparently a German label re-issued Glass Harp albums so at least the supply got bumped a little. :B

Comment

• David Meek
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Gordon
                          Remember when you hear "which one's Pink?" in a PF song. Well, it was Pink Anderson, the 1st half of the question, Floyd Council being the second half, both blues singers and namesakes of the band.
                          Now THAT'S neat information. I never knew where the band's name arose. :T

Comment

• glangston@socal
                            • May 2004

Snopes urban legend

Originally posted by Chris D
                            I suppose I should answer the first part of my trivia question--

When Rolling Stone Magazine asked Eddie Van Halen what it felt like to be the best guitar player in the world, he said, "I don't know--ask Phil Keaggy".

Phil Keaggy is a much less known Christian folk musician and guitar player. I find that to be FASCINATING, coming from a great like Van Halen. But wait, there's more. Does anyone know what is unique about Phil Keaggy?

CHRIS
                            Luke: "Hey, I'm not such a bad pilot myself, you know"
                            According to the urban legends site it isn't true. It's also been attributed to Hendrix from the one time he appeared on Carson or Cavett. Hendrix mentioned the ZZ Top guitarist but not Keaggy and didn't say who was the best. Keaggy has never been able to verify it and doesn't really believe it. Keaggy never met Hendrix (who died in 1970) but did meet McCartney and Edge of U2 at different times. Edge advised him to make his music "more dangerous".
                            Last edited by Chris D; 21 July 2015, 23:18 Tuesday.

Comment

• glangston@socal
                              • May 2004

Who sang "When You Wish Upon a Star"

no, it wasn't Jiminy Cricket. You hear the song mentioned and played but your reference is a cartoon. It was the Academy Award Song of the Year and in the top 5 or 10 movie songs in the recent AFI show.

The guy singing it has a good range (3 octaves) and you will notice this when you listen to the song. He was a pretty popular actor and singer/songwriter, though he didn't write this one.

His nickname was "Ukelele Ike" and his versions of "Fascinatin Rhythym" and "Singin In The Rain" were the first popular ones. Also for older listeners he sang "Ja-da"

He called his style of singing "effing" and it sounded horn-like.

Comment

• gd
                                • Jan 2003

Originally posted by glangston@socal
                                it wasn't Jiminy Cricket
                                Well, Cliff Edwards will always be Jiminy Cricket to me.
                                greg (gd to you)
                                Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring
                                production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.

Frank Zappa

Comment

• glangston@socal
                                  • May 2004

What clue gave it away?

I'm guessing you remembered "ja-da" from your youth :B

Comment

• gd
                                    • Jan 2003

Ha!... didn't need any clues... I'm a toon-head... love classic animation.

Yeah, I'm a geezer... and I do recollect 'Ja-Da', but that was more my parent's era (Ukelele Ike goes back to '20s).

You betcha there's a few Edwards tunes in my whacked-out collection.

"I'm no fool... no sir-eee!"
                                    greg (gd to you)
                                    Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring
                                    production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.

Frank Zappa

Comment

• dave
                                      • Aug 2003

Thought I would answer my own question (post #261) about the title of
                                      the "Moody Blues" Every Good Boy Deserves Favour.

The title is derived from the notes egbdf the musical scale, the tuning of a guitar. If the disc (or record) is listened to, the listener will pick up on the fact that the musical scale is repeated over and over again in different spots
                                      over the recording.

Happy Trails to you all!!! it's been fun:P
                                      Dave...

Comment

• David Meek
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Aug 2000

Uh Dave, that sounds suspiciously like a good-bye. 8O

Say it ain't so. . . .

Comment

• dave
                                          • Aug 2003

No David,,,

Just working too much lately!!!!
                                          thanks for the concern though.
                                          Dave...

Comment

• JOY DIVISION
                                            • Aug 2004

For the 80's,
                                            1) This song was written by both Jane Weidlin(Gogos) and Terry Hall(Specials, Funboy Three) in 1981, in which both bands sang the song also?

Comment

• JOY DIVISION
                                              • Aug 2004

Here's another one.

What's Sting's real name? ops: :roll:

Comment

• JOY DIVISION
                                                • Aug 2004

And for the 90's

Who is Saul Hudson?

With all 3 questions you should know at least 1 by heart without using Google.

Comment

• JOY DIVISION
                                                  • Aug 2004

One more

It's a tribute song written by Rolling Stones that was sung by Social Distortion? :roll: :roll:

Comment

• Danbry39
                                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                                    • Sep 2002

Dang, I think I know the last one...and that only because I bought my first Guns'N'Roses CD recently and did a bit of reading on the group. So, I think he's Slash, their guitarist, but can't be sure as I'm not supposed to Google.

The others leave me, as usual, without a clue. I guess my in-depth knowledge of music doesn't extent much beyond the early '70's which is pretty obvious as I'm just now catching up to Guns'N Roses.

Really interested in the answers though.
                                                    Keith

Comment

• JOY DIVISION
                                                      • Aug 2004

That's a good one Keith, maybe I'll hold on for the other three in a few more days :B :lol:

Comment

• DieZel
                                                        • Jul 2005

Originally posted by JOY DIVISION
                                                        It's a tribute song written by Rolling Stones that was sung by Social Distortion? :roll: :roll:
                                                        I think "Under My Thumb" was actually written by Rolling Stones. Am I right?

Comment

• jimmyp58
                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                          • Aug 2003

You are correct.....
                                                          jpiscitello@ameritech.net

Comment

• DieZel
                                                            • Jul 2005

Sting's real name is Gordon Sumner.

Comment

• Sportdude
                                                              • Aug 2005

I'm jumping in...

Which artist/album features Jimi Hendrix and Eric Clapton as sessions players on consecutive tracks?

Comment

• David Meek
                                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                                • Aug 2000

???? What ???? 8O

I don't know the answer, but I'd like to.

Comment

• NMyTree
                                                                  • May 2004

Originally posted by Sportdude
                                                                  I'm jumping in...

Which artist/album features Jimi Hendrix and Eric Clapton as sessions players on consecutive tracks?
                                                                  Oh geeez....I know this one...or should I say, I knew this one. Now I'm drawing a blank. I hate when that happens :M :B

Tell me....tell me....Please
                                                                  Tony

Comment

• Sportdude
                                                                    Junior Member
                                                                    • Aug 2005

Originally posted by Sportdude
                                                                    I'm jumping in...

Clue: This self-titled album was released in 1970. A second self-titled album was released a year later. This well-known musician has also released an album this year!

Comment

• taz13
                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                      • Jun 2004

By any chance Stephen Stills? JH old times good times and EC go back home
                                                                      Good album by the way. Ringo Starr was also on this album. Love the one your with was the big hit.

Attached Files
                                                                      The day is not complete if something new is not learnt.
                                                                      Taz/Rick/Richard/Ricardo

Comment

• Sportdude
                                                                        Junior Member
                                                                        • Aug 2005

DING DING DING we have a winner!

Comment

• Sportdude
                                                                          Junior Member
                                                                          • Aug 2005

I believe Henry Diltz shot the cover photograph for both of the first two Stephen Stills albums as well as CS&N and Deja Vu. I've read he did photography for over 200 albums. Anyone know of any other covers?

By the way, I believe Clapton played on a cut on Stephen Stills 2. I don't know about Ringo playing drums on either album though...

Comment

• David Meek
                                                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                                                            • Aug 2000
                                                                            • 8938

What other fairly notable artist has two self-titled albums? Seems like that would get confusing. :yesnod:

Comment

• NMyTree
                                                                              Senior Member
                                                                              • May 2004
                                                                              • 520

Thanks taz13, we sure were left dangling in the wind on that one :B

Great album! It's been years since I've listened to it. Gonna' have to give it a spin 8)
                                                                              Tony

Comment

• taz13
                                                                                Senior Member
                                                                                • Jun 2004
                                                                                • 930

Bo Diddly (late 50s early 60s)
                                                                                Santana (late 60s early 70s)
                                                                                Led Zeppelin I & IV (other then Led Zep neither had an official title, but were known by other names.)
                                                                                Cheap Trick (20 years apart)
                                                                                and probably many more. My list anyways, eh!
                                                                                Taz/Rick/Richard/Ricardo

Comment

• NMyTree
                                                                                  Senior Member
                                                                                  • May 2004
                                                                                  • 520

I didn't want to cheat while the question was still unanswered, but now that the correct answer was given, I looked up some info on this album. There's quite a list of musicians on this album. Check out the other contributers to this album.

Booker T. Jones

Fuzzy Samuels

Billy Preston

Cass Elliott

Rita Coolidge

John Sebastian

........And of course, Crosby and Nash.
                                                                                  Tony

Comment

• taz13
                                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                                    • Jun 2004
                                                                                    • 930

Neil Young also played on the album and a lot of those people lived in the same house at one time(69 I think). Like one big family.
                                                                                    Taz/Rick/Richard/Ricardo

Comment

• Sportdude
                                                                                      Junior Member
                                                                                      • Aug 2005
                                                                                      • 7

Can you name a well known artist whose first THREE albums were self-titled? He's released many albums since including live albums and a soundtrack . His former girlfriend is supposedly releasing an album of regge music later this year! This artist's first self-titled was released in the seventies.

Comment

• David Meek
                                                                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                        • Aug 2000
                                                                                        • 8938

Sheesh, I got more than I bargained for on that one! I was thinking primarily of Seal's first two albums.
                                                                                        .

Comment

• taz13
                                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                                          • Jun 2004
                                                                                          • 930

Seal actually has 3, Peter Gabriel has 4(PG1-4 1st 4 albums). But there are probably many more, especially if you include bands.
                                                                                          Taz/Rick/Richard/Ricardo

Comment

• spirited
                                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                                            • Jan 2005
                                                                                            • 196

Here is a tough one

Which singer has recorded albums with Richie Blackmore, Steve Vai, and Jimmy Paige?

Comment

Working...
                                                                                            😀
                                                                                            😂
                                                                                            🥰
                                                                                            😘
                                                                                            🤢
                                                                                            😎
                                                                                            😞
                                                                                            😡
                                                                                            👍
                                                                                            👎
                                                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                            Search Result for "|||"