X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • John Holmes
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Introducing the Earth, Wind & Fire of the jazz genre... The Rippingtons

This is one of many albums (cd's) that this group has released. And while it is extremely hard to pick a favorite, this one seems to frequent my listening pleasure.

"Backstabbers" and "Love Notes" are easily my favorite cuts on the disc but, it's a very nice cd from beginning to end.

Take the time to find out about the Rippingtons, as well as other ventures of Russ Freeman and Dave Koz. You'll be happy you did!

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
    "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"
  • Pj
    • Dec 2001

Yes the Rippingtons is one of my fav bands of all time!!

There are so many great songs in their repertoar!
    I have all their albums and also Russes albums!

If u like hail me on ICQ 2624273 and we can discuss smooth jazz!

PJ

BTW did you know that the Rippingtons are Burke Stricklands favourite aswell?! He´s the moderator of the Integra Club!! 8)

PJ's DVDs @ DVD Profiler

PJs HT@Telia
    PJ's DVDs @ DVD Profiler

PJs HT@Telia

Comment

• John Holmes
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Pj,

No I did not know that Burke is a Rippington fan. Why....because he "never" comes by! :LOL: But in all fairness, though I visit Club Integra, I never post because I don't own one so, I just get educated about them.

I'm not set up on ICQ. I'll have to look into doing so.

Yes the Rippingtons is one of my fav bands of all time!!
      They aren't my favorite jazz group, but in the top 5 or so for sure. Fourplay, The Jazzmasters (Paul Hardcastle) and Oscar Peterson Trio round out my top three favorite groups. But, the Rippintons are one the of best out there.

They are hard not to like. Their sound always seem so free flowing, with that twist of island flavor. How can it miss???

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
      "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Pj
        • Dec 2001

Yes great bands there, also Acoustic Alchemy, Special EFX, 3rd Force, Chieli Minucci etc are great!!

PJ

PJ's DVDs @ DVD Profiler

PJs HT@Telia
        PJ's DVDs @ DVD Profiler

PJs HT@Telia

Comment

• John Holmes
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Agreed! Though I haven't heard Chieli Munucci. I'll have to check them out.

Comment

• Burke Strickland
            • Sep 2001

John --

I wouldn't say "never" -- just not often. :>) I'm more of a lurker in this section. But I did participate recently in the thread about Holly Cole: http://www.htguide.com/CFBoards/inde...estTimeout=500

As for my being a fan of the group under discussion in this thread, PJ is having a little fun at our expense. He and I have discussed "smooth jazz" and "easy listening" before (or as I once termed it in our exchanges: "elevator music"). :>) The main reason I have stayed out of most discussions here is because I am NOT a fan of these genres and felt that it would add nothing to express views that would sound as one-note in print as the output of groups like the Rippingtons sounds to my ears. :>)

Now when I see discussions of artists I like (and in jazz, that would be more along the lines of John Coltrane, Miles Davis, Grover Washington, Mike Garson, Ella Fitzgerald, Don Byron, Joshua Redding, Kieth Garrett, McCoy Tyner), and genres I actually care to listen to more than once (such as "early music", baroque, classical era, Romantic, modern classical, and some folk, rock, real jazz, etcetera) I'll try to jump in and contribute, as I did in the Holly Cole thread.

As with so many other areas of life (including selection of HT gear), :>) taste in music is a personal thing based on a lot of factors and I am glad all kinds of music is available in high quality recordings to fans of virtually all genres -- so there is literally "something for everyone" out there somewhere. And I'm sure you and PJ will have a lot to talk about! :>) (He wasn't kidding about really liking the Rippingtons and being an avid fan of "smooth jazz" himself.)

Keep up the good work helping to getting things revved up around here!

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• John Holmes
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Burke,

I had to get a rise out of you! :B I knew you would be here, shortly after pj got to you.

Date Posted: Apr 04, 2002 5:16 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              John --
              I wouldn't say "never" -- just not often. :>) I'm more of a lurker in this section. But I did participate recently in the thread about Holly Cole: http://www.htguide.com/CFBoards/index.cfm?fuseaction=Threads.viewthread&CFB=1&Tid= 32295&Forum=8&DoOnePage=Yes&RequestTimeout=500

As for my being a fan of the group under discussion in this thread, PJ is having a little fun at our expense. He and I have discussed "smooth jazz" and "easy listening" before (or as I once termed it in our exchanges: "elevator music"). :>) The main reason I have stayed out of most discussions here is because I am NOT a fan of these genres and felt that it would add nothing to express views that would sound as one-note in print as the output of groups like the Rippingtons sounds to my ears. :>)
              It seems that pj set me up! :LOL: And I thought he was my friend. LOL;

It's funny though your statement about elevator music. I remeber coining it the same not so long ago. I guess it has grown on me, so to speak. My musical taste has become quite vast over the last ten years.

Also, I respect your position on partipating. However, it is a discussion board and if you have something to add that others may not be in the same camp about, it's still okay. We aren't suppose to agree on everything. And as you pointed out, music is so very personal. Your comments (pro or con) are always welcomed!!!

Look foward to seeing more of you here!

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"