One of the coolest Jazz CD's available!- Grover Washington, Jr." Prime Cuts".

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • John Holmes
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

One of the coolest Jazz CD's available!- Grover Washington, Jr." Prime Cuts".

If you are a Grover fan and do not have this in your collection, then shame on you!

Subtitled: The Columbia Years 1987-1999, brings alot of this late great artist work together, for about an hour or so of true bliss.

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
    "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

This has just come out on SACD, also, so I'll have to give that a whirl. Thanks for the recommendation.

Regards,

Jon

Earth First!
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• John Holmes
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Jon,

Please let me know(if you decide to get it) what the SACD sounds like.

The standard cd, even on my set-up sounds quite stunning!

Maybe after our move (nov 12) I'll be able to in vest in a entry or mid-fi SACD player.

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
      "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• John Holmes
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Jon,

Please let me know(if you decide to get it) what the SACD sounds like.

The standard cd, even on my set-up sounds quite stunning!

Maybe after our move (nov 12) I'll be able to in vest in an entry or mid-fi SACD player.

Comment

• JonMarsh
          Mad Max Moderator
          • Aug 2000

I picked this up during my "pre-Xmas" binge at Best Buy this weekend. My local store *finally* had a "Multi-channel Audio" display setup, which consisted of one Sony SACD player, an abysmally bad HT in a box, and a few shelves of SACD titles- so I treated my self to a few new ones, plus picked up a couple of classics I wanted.

"Prime Cuts" sounds quite good, considering the range of time that the material covers. IMO, the SACD format allows you to hear something quite close to whatever is on the master tape; for some of the older cuts, that's not quite as clean or open sounding, but for a GW fan, it's obvious is this a very nice disk to have. The later cuts on the disk are generally quite luscious; a particularly transparent midrange and smooth highs is what you get from SACD. Now, I'm sure the CD version would sound pretty good on my 777ES Sony, and it might sound even better on something like the Ayre D1.

Personally, I'm very curious to see and hear an XB-670, as I'd like to get my girlfriend into one of those, and perhaps some other friends. Some fo the carousel models have really come down in price, too, if that's your preference; Oade Brothers in Georgia has very good prices, typically 30% off or a little more. They also have the new Sony P9000ES 5.1 analog input and stereo bypass preamp at a substantial discount, which can be added to existing pre-pro systems or used as a standalone unit.

Regards,

Jon

Earth First!
          M8ta
          Modula Neo DCC
          Modula MT XE
          Modula Xtreme
          Isiris
          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
          Minerva Monitor
          Calliope
          Ardent D

In Development...
          Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
          Obi-Wan
          Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
          Modula PWB
          Calliope CC Supreme
          Natalie P Ultra
          Natalie P Supreme
          Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
          Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• John Holmes
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Hey Jon,

I'm glad you are enjoying the disc. I knew that a GW fan, would fall in love with this.

I am more of a single disc guy. However, I haven't ruled out any multi-disc units. I will get out and look around at some units this weekend, to get a feel of things.

Enjoy!

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"