X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • John Holmes
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Holly Cole - The Best of Holly Cole

Imo, this is the best of the three disc that I own from her.

The other two disc titled Dark Bear Heart & Blame it On My Youth are okay, but seem to only have a cut or two that showcase her talents. The Best of cd is just that. Normally, a best of disc is missing some key songs that leaves most people scrathing their heads as to why/how the cd can carry the "Best of status". Not this one!

My favorie track is the remake of "I Can See Clearly Now". It truly gives me the " I am There" feeling. A nice arrangement for sure.

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
    "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"
  • John Holmes
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

No fan's of Holly care to comment??? Hmmmm.....

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
    "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• David Meek
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

John, I must admit, I've never listened to Holly Cole! ops: I thought I had a CD of hers but got to looking and I don't. I'm not real big on "Best Of" albums/discs as I like to hear the entire set of music the artist was creating at the time - you know, kind of get into their mood - but I'll give this one a shot. More later. . .

David - HTGuide flunky
      Our "Theater"
      Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• John Holmes
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

David stop in your tracks!!! :LOL: Holly imo, is an accquired taste. Her style is quite unique so please sample some at Amazon before making a purchase. I like Ms.Cole but, even I have to be in the mood for her. Not something that I play to often.

Please don't get me wrong, I enjoy her style, just not daily for me.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

I agree I really enjoy her voice..but I have to be in the mood for her. "I can see clearly now" is likely her most famous cover song and easily one of my favorites from her "Don't smoke in bed CD's"

Comment

• Lex
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Apr 2001

Holly Cole's best CD to many people is:

Temptation

Again, it is somewhat of an aquired taste and you may have to listen to it a few times to get in the groove. Some may not like it, but it is a rather fun CD. I like it sometimes. I think I have one other of her's, which hasn't met the bar of Temptation, IMO.

Lex
            Doug
            "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Uncle Clive
              Former Moderator
              • Jan 2002

Holly Cole...................great entertaining music. The Holly Cole Trio DONT SMOKE IN BED Album " track 1 "I can see clearly now" is a great reference track IMO, or a great one to open with when you guests arrives, Yes for me also..... not an everyday thing, and yes, an acquired taste.

CLIVE

HEY!! Why buy movie tickets when you can own a Theater?
              CLIVE

HEY!! Why buy movie tickets when you can own a Theater?

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                • Sep 2001

I guess you could say I've "acquired the taste" for Holly Cole's singing. It happened one night :>) when I listened to the first few tracks of the first album that I bought of hers, ("It Happened One Night"), on a recommendation from a friend... I found more "there" to enjoy than I had with such vocalists as Diana Krall, Sarah McLachlan and Sarah Brightman. (All excellent, and all recommended to me by the same friend, but not in the same rarified league as Holly Cole, IMO. The only lady cabaret singer who comes close consistently is Patricia Barber.)

I bought "The Best Of... " album because it is by my favorite female vocal artist ... but, although I am glad to have it, I cannot say that I think it is the best of her albums. Holly Cole sometimes repeats songs on her albums with different instrumental arrangements and varied vocals, qualifying as different versions, not just repeats of the same thing. And I'd have to say that some of the versions included on "the Best Of..." while being simply wonderful, coming from HC, are not necessarily the versions I would have selected were I assembling the compilation (IOW, I prefer some of her others as my "favorite" performances of the songs). But, that aside, "The Best Of..." could be a good place to start if you are not familiar with her work ... sort of a Holly Cole "sampler". :>)

My choices for the two "best" discs by her (so far) are "Don't Smoke In Bed" and "It Happened One Night" (a "live" album, but with production values equalling her studio recordings). EIther one has the potential to make you an "instant fan", craving more of her special singing style. :>) I have also bought copies of "Blame It On My Youth", "Temptation" (which has reference quality bass often used in subwoofer demos), "Dark Dear Heart", "Romantically Helpless", "Girl Talk", "Christmas Blue" and "Treasure" (another anthology). The only one that I know of, but don't have yet, is "Baby It's Cold Outside", a Christmas album and her newest, but not sold in the US except via mail order.

Someday I'd really enjoy hearing her perform live... I may have to break down and visit Canada again... during the summer... :>) and catch one of her concerts or club dates there.

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"