X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • greenhorn
    • Feb 2007

New U2 - What A Bummer

Ok, let get it out right up front... I like U2. I have about half a dozen of there CD's, I really liked the first few, POP and Zooropa were ok, All That You Can't Leave Behind and Atomic Bomb were very good. Bono, what can you say, he is who he is and I think he own's it. Atleast you don't see hin doing dumb *as stuff.

So I heard three song from the soon to be released CD tonight, it was say. One sounded like they want to have their early sound and vibe, but with a muzak feel. I didn't know what to think of it, it was horrible. So it was over and there was another station playing the whole CD I think. Heard 2 more songs and they were just as bad. The third one didn't knwo what it wanted to be. The lyrics on each were so contrived. Now I know some might say they have been for a while, but these were bad.

So anyway, expectation for the next U2 CD have gone from very high to not even considering buying it. :cry:
  • Alloroc
    Super Senior Member
    • Dec 2005

Greenhorn, may I respectfully, politely yet completly disagree with you!

Having heard the album in full a couple of times and a number of tracks many times now, I believe it to be a triumph and their best work in many, many years.

No Line On The Horizon is a great record and I'm waiting with great anticipation for mine.

There are many reasons why this will be a great record but two specific reasons are Brian Eno and Daniel Lanois. Their input into the U2 sound has been massive over they years and it's great to see that they all still have the courage to move backwards as well as forwards.

Remember, Bono is nearly 50. Rock stars tend to get flabby (metaphorically as well as physically). They can afford the many attractive distractions that come their way. As a result, the music suffers. The fact that a band like U2 can produce a record of this quality, elegance and abandon at this stage in their career is quite remarkable.

Stand out tracks so far for me are; Magnificent, Breathe, No Line On The Horizon and Cedars of Lebanon. Chris, if you're reading this post these tracks are going to blow your mind when you make it to Croke Park!

(No, I'm not biased, btw! U2 are not my absolute favourite band in the world but I do like them)

Roll on Tuesday - we get it here a few days before the rest of you all!
    Vincent.

I don't want the world. I just want your half.

Comment

• Chris D
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Dec 2000

Yes, U2 is my favorite band. So I'm hoping this one turns out well! I had the album on order, but Amazon canceled it a ways back as the sku or packaging changed or something.

The only track I've heard so far is "Boots", which was just ok to me, nothing special.
      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
      - Pleasantville

Comment

• MikeyH
        • Aug 2008

Chris,

Here you could listen to all the tracks. http://www.myspace.com/u2

Mike

Comment

• Alloroc
          Super Senior Member
          • Dec 2005

Well.... it's here (for me anyway). It arrived in the post this morning.

I can't wait 'till I get home and get it on my system. I ordered the limited edition pack and I also ordered it on vinyl....
          Vincent.

I don't want the world. I just want your half.

Comment

• Chris D
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Dec 2000

I wait with baited breath for your review, Vincent!

Amazon canceled my order, so I'm still debating which version to order for the release. Still leaning towards the mega-set at $67.00
            CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• greenhorn
              • Feb 2007

My Review Of The First 5 Songs

Ok again, U2 has always been one of my top favorites. I believe I have 6 or 7 of there CD’s and they are generally in a fairly regular rotation n my disc player. I’ll say it, I really like U2. But the bit I heard of the new album was disappointing. Have my copy now and here is what I thought about the first 5 songs. I want to have a solid listen and give thoughts after that.

No Line On The Horizon – Shifts in style don’t sync or match for me. The more up beat aspect works very well, when it drops into the chorus its soft. Some of the riff’s and rhythms sound recycled. Seems about 3 or 4 styles it rises and falls into, likes it 2 or 3 different songs that come back to a single chorus. The ending sound like it’s gone into a Mannheim Steamroller Christmas song.

Magnificent – Opens stays with very much a “Streets Have No Name” riff or jangle. Overall it sounds like a story with a little background rhythm. Again, lacks cohesion and solid riffs and hooks. Songs of that style are fine but the “story” has to be strong enough to carry it. Elvis Costello’s “Blood and Chocolate” did that well for me. The instrumental sound of the song didn’t convey what the words were saying.

Moment of Surrender - The lyrics seen very contrived to start, not the typical depth and reality of U2. The horse and wire, getting married, passers by, a black hole and begging to get back to my soul and the ATM. Maybe I’m not deep enough or I’ll get it over time. I think this song is supposed to be deep and have meaning, just confused me. Overall sound it is good, I liked that.

Unknown Caller – Again this is like a story with a backing sound track. The chorus is odd, but ok, sounds like a good concert sing along section. Lyrics like “restart and reboot yourself, your free to go, something Password, you know your name punch it in…” This has to be a ENO thing, I haven’t heard a lot of Eno but if I were to guess his name is all over this. The “guitar soloing is good”. And it’s over, humm what was that.

I’ll Go Crazy If I don’t Go Crazy – This is somewhat U2’ish. Back to “Streets Have No Name” Riff or jangle. Just noticed the drumming so far lacks anything interesting. Most other U2 CD’s this would come across as a filler song (not that they generally have ever done that).

Get on Your Boots- Kind of a fun, funny song. This is the one where they threw in kind of a Spanish feel, then the heavy distortion, some electronics.

Ok, that’s enough for now. Stand up just started and I don’t know, everything is all over the place.

So there, that’s what I think. I understand sometimes things have to grow on you, but this will be a tough one. In all fairness, this is just my opinion, if you like it, or love it, Great! It’s always excellent to have something new you really like, I’m not trying to tell anyone anything apart from how I felt about it, what I heard. I’m sure there is a lot of music I like that other people don’t.

In closing Ohhhh-ha Ohhhh-ha Ohhhh-ha Ohhhh-ha Ohhhh-ha (Joke)

Comment

• Chris D
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Dec 2000

U2 is telling people that this album is one that "grows on you", having to listen to it several times. We'll see.

I caught a snippet of Letterman, and U2 was playing one of the new songs. I thought it was decent! I think they're playing Letterman all this week.

Well, the uber-deluxe version is in the mail to me. Not sure when I'll get it.
                CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Nolan B
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Sep 2005

U2 is my wife's favorite band. She has every album, so I bought this for her the first day it came out. I find it kind of boring, its only ok. Honestly I expect more from U2. I hear they are releasing another album as soon as next year, so lets hope it gets better.

The last Cold play album which is a similar type of music is miles better then this U2 album, and I honestly expect a lot more from U2 then Cold play perhaps.

Comment

• gross30
                    • Jun 2005

Well, I have given it some considerable listening time, and my consensus is this album is great. Not that boring, although it was after the first listen, then get the volume up, start listening a little more, and yeah, what can I say, I like it. :T

Comment

• Chris D
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Dec 2000

I've listened to it several times now, and I do like it. It's not my favorite, but there's some good music in there, and some good sounds. Only a couple songs stood out to me as being "catchy" at all, but it continues to grow on me. My favorite guitar player is The Edge, (note: not the player I consider the most technically proficient, just like his sounds) and I like that he included his classic sound on many of the songs.

I think my favorite song is "Magnificent".

Tried to make it work out so I could go to the Dublin concert, but not this year. Hopefully I can catch them somewhere in the States for this tour, and maybe do Dublin on the next tour, whenever that might be.
                      CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      😂
                      🥰
                      😘
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😞
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"