Pat Metheny Group: The Way Up: Live (HD_DVD)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • John Holmes
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Pat Metheny Group: The Way Up: Live (HD_DVD)

It's been some time since I've watched a concert DVD. But, since the demise of HD-DVD, I thought I'd better get some of the ones I've been putting off watching moved up in my Netflix queue.

Now, I'm pissed that I've waited so long. This disc is very well done! I used the Dolby Digital Plus track. The sound was crisp and well defined. A very clean sound. The disc also offers LPCM and DTS HD tracks ( I'll try those later). Though my XA1 player will convert the DTS HD to DTS Core before output. The DD+ surround mix was IMO perfect. The audience was in the rear, with a beautiful balance of the band in the front stage.

The video was exceptional! Great blacks, with fantastic detail. It was so good, I really felt that I was at the show. Of course, watching it on a 92" screen helped a bit. :W

If you are a Metheny fan, or like jazz fusion, this is a must see concert. Just to see trumpter Cuong Vu, make the incredible sounds via electronic gadgets, was worth the price of admission. I'm not sure if I will buy this on HD-DVD or wait for a possible BLU-RAY release. Either way, it will be in my collection!
    "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"
  • Denton
    • Nov 2000

I've seen Metheny and Lyle Mays live several times and they are always great shows. I'll be checking out this disc!

Comment

• David Meek
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Thanks for the heads-up John. It's on order. :T

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• John Holmes
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Denton
        I've seen Metheny and Lyle Mays live several times and they are always great shows. I'll be checking out this disc!
        I've heard the music for years. This was my first seeing a performance. Very pleasing indeed! This was shot in Korea in 2005. Boy, did they have a ton of energy playing.

Like I said, it will get a few more plays this week before I return it.

David,

I forget the name of the smooth jazz station there (smooth 99 I think???) but, I recall them playing Pat Metheny quite a bit.

I think you'll enjoy the disc. I can't imagine the standard def disc being anything short of reference. However, stranger things have happened.
        "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• John Holmes
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

David,

Also, glad to see you back online. I recall you were having pc issues.

Comment

• David Meek
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Thanks John. Yeah, PC issues, a couple of immediate family losses, and a work schedule from h*ll. Things are pretty much back to normal tho'.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• John Holmes
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

David,

I am sorry for your losses. And yes, life does seem to travel to it's own beat. So, finding time to relax/play goes on the back burner. I wish you and the rest of your family, all the best!

Comment

• John Holmes
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

I got around to revisiting this disc. Checked out the LPCM and DTS tracks. I was able to flip between the two on the fly with my XA1. All audio was via MCH-Inputs.

Right off the bat, I could live easily using any of the formats on this disc. An extremely well recorded venture. A few things did stand out to me.

1) DD+ had a little better clarity and dynamics over LPCM

2) LPCM had the most accurate cues inline with the video presentation.

3) DTSHD (downconverted to core) was hotter than the other tracks at the same point on the volume knob. Very evident when switching on the fly.

I didn't spend a ton of time listening to the DTS codec. Since it was the only one that was altered on my system. So, any real comparison of DTSHD would not be relavent. But what I heard, I liked.

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"