X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bigburner
    Super Senior Member
    • May 2005

The Best New Album of 2007

My catalogue of CDs has grown by about 80 items this year so choosing the best new album isn't easy. However with two months to go in 2007 I'm picking "Sky Blue Sky" by Wilco. It boasts lovely melodies, tasteful guitar and interesting lyrics. I like every song on the album.

Fellow HTG member Thelonious Funk put me on to this one and I'm very grateful for his inspirational advice.

Has anyone else got a favourite new album for 2007?

Nigel.
    Attached Files
  • joetama
    • May 2006

Fear of a Blank Planet by Porcupine Tree has got to be my favorite new album of 2007.
    -Joe

Comment

• John Holmes
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

I'm sad to say that, music purchases have been slim for me this year. However, of the few, this is by far my favorite:

Morph The Cat- Donald Fagen

Storytelling as only Donald Fagen can do. Fantastic breakdowns on each song. Classic Steely Dan sound...what's not to love?! Also, the sound production is top notch. Even the order of tracks on this disc seem to flow with a beautiful balance.
      "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• joetama
        • May 2006

I didn't realize that was on 07 Album or that might have been my pick too.

Morph The Cat is amazing...
        -Joe

Comment

• bigburner
          Super Senior Member
          • May 2005

Originally posted by joetama
          Fear of a Blank Planet by Porcupine Tree has got to be my favorite new album of 2007.
          On your recommendation I bought this CD and I've just listened to it for the first time. Prog rock doesn't get a lot of airplay in my house but I enjoyed it and I'll definitely listen to it again and play it for my muso friends, so thank you. I'll probably get the DVD below as well. Do you know it?

I'm surprised that so few members are able to report on good new albums that they've heard this year. I really do wonder whether many of our fellow members actually listen to much music, which would be a shame when you consider all the fantastic equipment they have.

Perhaps it's because you and I are the youngest ones here?

Nigel.
          Attached Files

Comment

• joetama
            • May 2006

Originally posted by bigburner
            On your recommendation I bought this CD and I've just listened to it for the first time. Prog rock doesn't get a lot of airplay in my house but I enjoyed it and I'll definitely listen to it again and play it for my muso friends, so thank you. I'll probably get the DVD below as well. Do you know it?

I'm surprised that so few members are able to report on good new albums that they've heard this year. I really do wonder whether many of our fellow members actually listen to much music, which would be a shame when you consider all the fantastic equipment they have.

Perhaps it's because you and I are the youngest ones here?

Nigel.
            Well I am glad that you like them. I do not have the DVD but do want to get it.

I saw Porcupine Tree Live a few Weeks ago and they sound equally amazing live as they do on their albums. I was very impressed, and I used to work for a live PA company so it takes a lot fo impress me in live sound.
            -Joe

Comment

• bigburner
              Super Senior Member
              • May 2005

2006 but who's counting?

Let's make this a discussion on the best new album in the last few years and we might get some contributors!

Comment

• joetama
                • May 2006

Originally posted by bigburner
                2006 but who's counting?

Let's make this a discussion on the best new album in the last few years and we might get some contributors!
                LAWL... That might help...
                -Joe

Comment

• John Holmes
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

Morph The Cat is amazing...
                  Uh...my bad! :B I assumed bigbuner meant purchased in 07 (so new to the owner).

As far as the lack of response to the thread. I think quite a few here listen to music often and have a real passion for it. Getting people to post about it is another story. Finding fresh new ways of describing what you hear from song to song is a challenge. Not to mention the vast difference in taste, I can sorta understand why quite a few hesitate to post.

As you may notice, Pop, R&B, Rave genres (and a few others) are almost never brought up. IMHO, this is b/c: 1) it never seems to draw much interest. 2) People don't want to hear responses like "that isn't what I would call music".

I believe more people would post if they felt comfortable. People (like me) tend to focus more on Jazz, Smooth Jazz, Easy Listening, Classical when they post. This is probably because of the nature of the "older" crowd (me again). And or because, these genres tend to have better production quality. I really hope that it isn't because people feel there is a "snoobish" air here. That truly is not the case. And I would hope that all members of HT Guide would know this is the furthest from the truth! We are about the music...period! Ok, maybe the equipment that supports it too!!! :B
                  "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Yasvanth
                    • Jun 2006

Hi
                    That's funny because I mostly listen in POP, Rock, R'n'B, Dance and Rock'n'Roll, well anything with a beat will get me going.

I'm not in the slightest interested in Jazz, Classical, Folk, it just doesn't do it for me. To be honest, I find it boring and not my cup of tea.

Cheers
                    Yas

Comment

• joetama
                      • May 2006

Originally posted by Yasvanth
                      Hi
                      That's funny because I mostly listen in POP, Rock, R'n'B, Dance and Rock'n'Roll, well anything with a beat will get me going.

I'm not in the slightest interested in Jazz, Classical, Folk, it just doesn't do it for me. To be honest, I find it boring and not my cup of tea.

Cheers
                      Yas
                      Hey as long as you like to listen to it... That is the important thing...
                      -Joe

Comment

• John Holmes
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2000

Hey as long as you like to listen to it... That is the important thing...

My exact points gentlemen. So let's get to posting! :T

Comment

• Blindamood
                          • Sep 2003

Hmmm...haven't really bought much new stuff lately. Have been stocking up on 'old' music to fill my Olive Musica's hard disk. Stuff like old Springsteen, Pink Floyd, Rush, etc. that I used to listen to and love.

Okay, I just thought of one for 2007: Al DiMeola "Consequence of Chaos". This is an excllent disc if you like guitar music. The guy is amazing! (Update...just looked this up and it is from September, 2006...darn.)

As for blu-ray music: Easily the best release is "Dave Matthews & Tim Reynolds: Live at Radio City Music Hall." Picture and sound quality is stunning on this one!
                          Brad

Comment

• Alloroc
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Dec 2005

Nice choice here lads....

Sky Blue Sky is a real contender for sure - a great album.

I've also a few Porcupine Tree DVD-As but not that one.... I love the way they've embraced the DVD-A.

Anyhow, From what's jumped into my head, I'm gonna nominate five for starters and with no particular preference in mind....

1 - "Sand" by Robert Plant and Alison Krauss (a very special record)

2 - "Rainbows" by Radiohead (I got the MP3s and burned a CD, I'm awaiting tbe disk set. Brilliant. Too good for hype)

3 - "Traffic And Weather" by Fountains Of Wayne (best pop album for sure)

4 - "The Else" by They Might Be Giants (because... well just because...)

5 - "Proof of Youth" by The Go! Team (other best pop album!)

More will no doubt follow!

BTW, How's tricks Nigel?
                            Vincent.

I don't want the world. I just want your half.

Comment

• wkhanna
                              Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
                              • Jan 2006

Michael Brecker - Pilgrimage

This was Michael Brecker's last album recorded V close to the end of his valiant fight and ultimate surender to cancer. You would never know it by the energy and passion he put into his playing on this album. He was joined by Herbie Hancock, Pat Metheny, John Patitucci and others on this final work.

Of the nearly 100 CD's I bought this year, this may be the only one released in 2007. My personal taste leans towards jazz and clasical and building a library of my favorites means mostly older albums are on my list.

Chris Potter - Follow the Red Line: Live at the Village Vanguard

This is a new release that I plan on purchasing soon, so I will post my impression on it shortly.
                              _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
                              ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Kevin D
                                Ultra Senior Member
                                • Oct 2002

Well on those thoughts, best new album for me is Against Me "New Wave".

Story goes I watched Leno and left the TV on while Conan was on. Didn't pay any attention until the music segment of Conan. Against Me was on and played 'Thrash Unreal'. When they hit the chorus, I had to rewind and start from the beginning. Not sure what it was, but it had me hooked.

Looked them up and found out the new CD had just come out that Tuesday. Best Buy had it for $9.99 and I snagged it the next day. It's only 30 something minutes long, but every song gets me going. Listened to it 2-3 times that week and then took it on a road trip to Oklahoma. Over the 24 hours it got played probably about 6-7 times. Put it in my wife's car for a short trip and it's stayed there for 2-3 months now. When FM doesn't cut it, the CD comes on.

I haven't got any of their older CD's, but it seems anyone who liked them before doesn't like the new CD and anyone who likes the new CD hasn't heard them before. They apparently went from mostly punk to more punk/rock. This album has a good raspy vocal with excellent harmonic melodies all set to a good punk/rock beat.

You can hear some tracks here:

Against Me!'s profile including the latest music, albums, songs, music videos and more updates.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Foxman
                                  • Jan 2003

I listen to a wide variety of music but I'll stick with Prog Metal or Prog Rock for a moment.

It is hard to argue with new Porcupine Tree and I think Fear of a Blank Planet is an excellent addition to Porcupine Tree's catalog. I was somewhat disappointed in the new Blackfield release if I am being honest, but Blank Planet made up for it.

Systematic Chaos by Dream Theater is a gem-dandy of a release IMO. For those that like Prog Metal or are into Dream Theater, this is a must own.

Not a new release (02) but new to me was Symphany X "The Odyssey"
                                  which is also a Prog Metal group.

I know there are plenty of other gems from other Genre's that I enjoy, but I am drawing a blank right now.
                                  IMO

My Movies
                                  Bad Pics of my system

Comment

• bigburner
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • May 2005

Now we're cooking!

Researching new albums is almost my favourite hobby. I say "almost" because listening to a great new album that I've only just discovered is the real thrill.

I'll definitely research most of the albums suggested in this thread. [So yes there is a selfish motive for starting this thread!]

Do you guys use www.allmusic.com? It's my online encyclopædia of music. I spend many hours there every week.

By the way, I'm listening to "Morph the Cat" right now, and I agree with you Vincent that "Raising Sand" is a lovely album. I just hope that Robert is treating Alison with the respect that she deserves, but I digress...

Comment

• greenhorn
                                      • Feb 2007

I don't really think I can come up with a 2007 cd that really struck me? Looking over at rack of CD's nothing comes to mind. It's funny when the newspaper or sunday ads list what are the new releases for the week nothing gets me excited. Granted they are not the end all be all of new releases, it's been a tough year to find new good stuff mainstream or otherwise. Looks like I've spent this past year buy things to fill in the gaps mostly. Wife really like The Fray cd. I guess I might pick one or two of those listed in the other posts and give them a try.

BigBurner I'm also on AMG quite a bit. I actually have one of their books from back in the day, before their web site. Is AMG usually slow for you? I get a lot of timeouts and have to do a lot of refreshing to get to pages sometimes.

Comment

• bigburner
                                        Super Senior Member
                                        • May 2005

Originally posted by greenhorn
                                        BigBurner I'm also on AMG quite a bit. Is AMG usually slow for you? I get a lot of timeouts and have to do a lot of refreshing to get to pages sometimes.
                                        No, response times are generally good for me greenhorn.

Comment

• Yasvanth
                                          • Jun 2006

Hi

Can one of you guys recommend an R'n'B, Pop, or Rock CD that is worth buying?

Thanks

Yas

Comment

• Alloroc
                                            Super Senior Member
                                            • Dec 2005

Hi

Thanks

Yas

Check out "Sky Blue Sky" by Wilco as Nigel mentioned above.

Also, "Traffic And Weather" by Fountains Of Wayne is great pop (unless Take That is more your kind of pop that is!).

And for R&B, check out "The Art Of Love & War" from Angie Stone. She's got a phenominal voice...

BTW Yas, Was in your part of the world for a couple of days earlier this week. Was bloody wet!
                                            Vincent.

I don't want the world. I just want your half.

Comment

• bigburner
                                              Super Senior Member
                                              • May 2005

Hi

Thanks

Yas
                                              Hi Yas,

I suggest that you visit www.allmusic.com and give yourself a couple of hours to research CDs that might be worth buying.

The beauty of this site is that it allows you to sort by genre so, for example, you can get a list of the best R'n'B albums of all time and then click on individual albums to get a review of each one. You can also click on individual tracks in the album and listen to them. If you find an artist that you like you can get a brief bio of that person with a list of the albums that they have produced, including which albums are the most highly regarded. Other artists who produce similar music are frequently mentioned, so once you know which artists you like you can get other albums of a similar genre. Every month all the best new albums are reviewed, so if you're like me and you want to keep up with new music then this is a wonderful site to visit regularly.

If you do visit www.allmusic.com I would be interested to hear whether you found it a useful tool. Just make sure that you allow yourself plenty of time because there's so much information there.

Nigel.

Comment

Working...
                                              😀
                                              😂
                                              🥰
                                              😘
                                              🤢
                                              😎
                                              😞
                                              😡
                                              👍
                                              👎
                                              Searching...Please wait.
                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                              Search Result for "|||"