X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jim Holtz
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

2007 Iowa DIY Event Info posted...

I thought I'd let everyone here at the HT Guide know that Doug Petersen is hosting the 2007 Iowa DIY event this fall on October 27th. It'll be held in the Grinnell college theater which will seat up to 400 people so there's lots of room if everyone decides to come. He has created a web page that he'll post updates to. Here's a link to Doug's website: 2007 Iowa DIY Event Info

Dennis Murphy graduated from Grinnell college and has announced that he's planning on joining us again. This year promises to be another great Iowa DIY event. I hope everyone can join us!

Jim
  • ArvinK
    • Jun 2003

That's a big room! The acoustics will definitely be different than the hotel last year. Looking forward to attending.

Comment

• Evil Twin
      Super Senior Member
      • Nov 2004

These kinds of events sometimes cause me to wish I lived in Iowa.... :W

Coruscant clearly isn't Kansas, though.
      DFAL
      Dark Force Acoustic Labs

A wholly owned subsidiary of Palpatine Heavy Industries

Comment

• whoaru99
        • Jul 2004

Oooh... only 400 miles. I think I'll mark my calendar.

Thanks for the info.
        There are some things which are impossible to know, but it is impossible to know which things these are. :scratchhead:

----JAFFE'S PRECEPT

Comment

• ahaik
          • Feb 2007

Originally Posted by whoaru99

Oooh... only 400 miles. I think I'll mark my calendar.

Thanks for the info.
          Sounds pretty good compared to 1200 miles :cry:

Comment

• Jim Holtz
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Jim Holtz
            I thought I'd let everyone here at the HT Guide know that Doug Petersen is hosting the 2007 Iowa DIY event this fall on October 27th. It'll be held in the Grinnell college theater which will seat up to 400 people so there's lots of room if everyone decides to come. He has created a web page that he'll post updates to. Here's a link to Doug's website: 2007 Iowa DIY Event Info

Dennis Murphy graduated from Grinnell college and has announced that he's planning on joining us again. This year promises to be another great Iowa DIY event. I hope everyone can join us!

Jim
            Hi Guys,

I'm not involved beyond being a participant and probably creating a test CD but you can be assured that I'll be there. I've passed the torch just as it was passed to me in 2004. Doug and Jason did a great job last year of handling the days activities, soliciting prizes from our generous sponsors and keeping things running. This year will be even better.

The Iowa event has grown into a great place to listen to many varied designs ranging from super budget to unlimited, no holds barred designs. It's a very relaxed atmosphere with intensive listening and anonymous honest feedback to the designer. But, best of all, it allows you to meet dozens of others that share the same passion as you do. That my friends, is priceless.

I hope that all who can take the time will join us for a great day of speaker building fun. I'm looking forward to seeing old friends and making new ones. (all earth bound and inter galactic travelers are welcome)

See you there!

Jim

Comment

• ---k---
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Nov 2005

Jim thanks for posting this. I emailed Doug to be put on the mailing list. I would like to attend (and bring the Khanspires). It is a 4 hour drive for me, so we'll have see how the stars align. I guess if DM can fly in, the rest of us look like wimps for not driving a few hours.
              - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
              CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
              CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• sprtfan
                • May 2006

I'll be there for sure and will bring a few people with me. Now that the event is only an hour away, I would be ashamed to show my face back on the board it I did not attend (not like the 2hr drive would be a reason either) The only DIY speakers I have access to bring would be the ones that Jim made and brought to last years event so I guess I'll just bring my ears. I'm looking forward to meeting everyone.

Comment

• Quwiksilver
                  • Apr 2007

1 hour away! Allright! :T

Look forward to meeting all of you...and maybe even having my own design to present.

Scott Nielsen

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Mar 2005

Originally posted by ---k---
                    Jim thanks for posting this. I emailed Doug to be put on the mailing list. I would like to attend (and bring the Khanspires). It is a 4 hour drive for me, so we'll have see how the stars align. I guess if DM can fly in, the rest of us look like wimps for not driving a few hours.
                    Hi Ryan,

Dennis will come a long way to attend but he won't have traveled the furthest. Maynard Goff has not missed an Iowa DIY event in the last several years. Maynard is from Iowa originally but lives in Florida. He disassembles his speakers and ships them to the event and flies in. After the event is over, he tears them back apart and ships them home to Florida. ;x( Maynard is a loyal attendee and an all around good guy. I look forward to seeing him again.

He has talked about putting together a Florida event this year too.

Last year we had folks from Texas, Kansas, Missouri, Nebraska, Illinois, Wisconsin, Indiana and Minnesota attend. Iowa too of course. I expect to see them again this year.

Jim

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Quwiksilver
                      1 hour away! Allright! :T

Look forward to meeting all of you...and maybe even having my own design to present.

Scott Nielsen
                      Hi Scott,

I look forward to meeting you. Bring your friends. If they love speakers and music, they'll have a day to remember.

Jim

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Mar 2005

Originally posted by sprtfan
                        I'll be there for sure and will bring a few people with me. Now that the event is only an hour away, I would be ashamed to show my face back on the board it I did not attend (not like the 2hr drive would be a reason either) The only DIY speakers I have access to bring would be the ones that Jim made and brought to last years event so I guess I'll just bring my ears. I'm looking forward to meeting everyone.
                        Hi Vic,

It'll be good to see you again. There should be a lot of new designs to listen to this year. Careful! You'll get the bug and have Traviss whipping out some cabinets for you.

Jim

Comment

• Hdale85
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Jan 2006

Wish I could go! Unfortunately 750 miles is a bit much. Unless someone in pittsburgh is driving in and can pick me up :B

Comment

• PoorboyMike
                            • Oct 2005

551.96 miles from my driveway. 8O

I'd really like to go but I don't think I could convince the wife. We should be neck deep in our house construction by then. I guess there is always next year.

Comment

• dawg1161
                              • May 2006

I will be driving to the event from anamosa, ia. I'm sure my brother will also want to attend from Cedar Rapids, Ia so if anyone needs a ride from that area send me a pm.
                              Don't think i'll bring anything all i would have is a choice between the dayton III bookshelf or the towers i also made with this speaker design. My finishing is not the best though.

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                                Ultra Senior Member
                                • Mar 2005

Originally posted by dawg1161
                                I will be driving to the event from anamosa, ia. I'm sure my brother will also want to attend from Cedar Rapids, Ia so if anyone needs a ride from that area send me a pm.
                                Don't think i'll bring anything all i would have is a choice between the dayton III bookshelf or the towers i also made with this speaker design. My finishing is not the best though.
                                Ya know, in the several years I've attended Iowa DIY events, I don't think I've ever heard the Dayton III. Finish is also not important. There will be speakers that are very pretty and some in MDF with plenty in between.

I'd encourage you to bring a pair of speakers along. The last several years the amount of speakers to listen to has decreased which is always disappointing for the attendees. It costs the same whether you bring speakers or not. We'd like to hear your speakers. :T

I'm looking forward to meeting you.

Best regards,

Jim

Comment

• dawg1161
                                  • May 2006

Thank You Jim, I will bring them along.....I will try and not be embarassed by the finish.

Comment

• ---k---
                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                    • Nov 2005

Jim,
                                    Does anyone ever bring commercial speakers to use as comparison?
                                    - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
                                    CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
                                    CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                      • Mar 2005

Originally posted by dawg1161
                                      Thank You Jim, I will bring them along.....I will try and not be embarassed by the finish.
                                      Don't worry. You won't be embarrassed. It's not a pretty contest. The fun part is you'll get lots of ideas from looking at others speakers.

Jim

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                        • Mar 2005

Originally posted by ---k---
                                        Jim,
                                        Does anyone ever bring commercial speakers to use as comparison?
                                        Hi Ryan,

We have listened to commercial speakers in the past as a "bench mark" for lack of a better way of putting it. It's fun to listen to what commercial speakers sound like that cost in the price range we're building them for. Sometimes they don't sound too bad. Just sometimes though...

In 2003 we had speakers from Salk Sound, GR Research and Ellis Audio there. I also had my JH3 Reference which were a custom design by Selah Audio. It was quite interesting to compare them.

In 2004, Jim Salk brought his very highly regarded HT3's to the event. We also had a pair of NaO's there with Excel drivers. Both were very, very nice.

So, to answer your question, sometimes.

Jim

Comment

• ArvinK
                                          • Jun 2003

I believe we listened to a pair of Boston Acoustics CR-9's at last year's event (correct me if I'm wrong Jim). They sopunded pretty decent.

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                            • Mar 2005

Originally posted by ArvinK
                                            I believe we listened to a pair of Boston Acoustics CR-9's at last year's event (correct me if I'm wrong Jim). They sopunded pretty decent.
                                            You're correct on both counts. I was very surprised that they sounded as good as they did for a speaker that retails for $450 if I remember correctly.

Jim

Comment

Working...
                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                            Search Result for "|||"