Mahler's Symphonies 1 <--> 4, and 6 <--> 9 inclusive .

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Danbry39
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Sep 2002

Originally posted by 2bluechris
    I was thinking you meant prices for New sets were $10 <--> $15 , not 2nd hand/used sets or unwanteds as from ebay.
    Ebay and 2nd hand copies are not always available, nor always in good condition, thus I think quoting prices should be for new stock from {reputable} retailers when recommending to interested Thread readers.

I am pleased you got the Fitzwilliams' set cheap though, and hopefully in good condition.

If the Shostakovich Quartet's complete set can be bought new for under $20 , that is very good value, and I'll start looking as I've only heard a few from theirs to date.

If you like these quartets a lot and intend to buy other sets, then if you see the Danel Quartet's set for a good price it is not too much risk.
    I have it.
    It is on the European "Fuga Libra" label.
    They recorded the cycle over a period of several years, thus plenty of preparation and rehearsal, and to good effect as they seem fine and well considered performances to me.
    I haven't had it long enough to have done detailed comparisons with the Fitzwilliams and others, but they are certainly better performances than the less Shostakovich experienced groups I've heard some of the quartets recordings from, and they render the 7th quartet as interesting music, which the Fitzwilliams don't, in my opinion, though the F'williams top the Danels in #5 and #6 {both are great music I think}.
    I also prefer the Danels vastly to the Emerson Quartet with the 8th quartet.
    {I don't like the way the Emersons play these works in general}

Anyway, by the time you are ready to start a Shost. quartets' thread I may have done some detailed comparisons, but usually I don't study these works, but simply play one CD from one set when I think I need to hear such music, and then I play a second CD from if time.

So no more about them here - I'm in no hurry, as too much other current to listen to, but I simply wanted to mention the Danels to you, and any other interested readers.

uhmm , your Cooking , I can't smell it from here, thus no Fear of that here, though I think you may have given up cooking ...

Chris
    They were new. To top it off, I bought another new set of the Fitzwilliams for someone else from Ebay for even less money...and they even giftwrapped it at no charge as it was a Christmas present. I often think they purchase a lot of them from a place like Berkshire at dirt cheap prices and sell them over at Ebay for a profit.
    Keith

Comment

• 2bluechris
      • Oct 2005

Bertini's Mahler ?

Keith, thats a very long Quote you've printed for only comment on one part of it !

As for opportunistic buyers reselling on ebay, well what has changed about human nature ...
      I'm wary of ebay, primarily because one doesn't really know exactly what one has bought until one has paid for it, and it has {hopefully} arrived ...
      Yes there are some bargains, but also some items found to be in almost useless condition.
      Yes, let the buyer beware !

How is it going with the Bertini/Mahler set ?
      I hope all of it is good to some degree, and at least a few to sufficient to become new favorites for you.

Are there any which have equalled your favorites for particular Symphonies, even if somewhat different in performance style ?

Or any that are simply outstanding regardless of other versions ?

Chris

Comment

• Danbry39
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Sep 2002

It'll probably take a bit before I get around to listening to more Mahler. I was over doing it to the point that I needed to take a break and put on some other music or risk burning out on Mahler. Also, I'm so busy with other things right now that I can hardly breathe.
        Keith

Comment

• 2bluechris
          • Oct 2005

This happens to me also - all the things in your post, but some-how I manage to keep on breathing ...

Usually if a period of a lot of listening to any Composer or Artist I don't listen to any more for a while. How long depends on how long I've been listening to, and whether my mind is triggered to investigate something else by them, or something related to them by some-one else.
          And thus one continues investigating ... when time is available to !

Anyway, there's no hurry as all these Threads stay in the Forum and we can get back to Mahler when anyone is interested to Post .

Chris

Comment

Working...
          😀
          😂
          🥰
          😘
          🤢
          😎
          😞
          😡
          👍
          👎
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"