X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nayr
    • Jun 2005

Isomike Recordings - Wow. Wow!

I just listened to a number of isomike recordings I ordered recently.

Wow. 8O

What a huge huge difference the recording, mastering, and dynamics make! I am left with little desire left to upgrade my equipment, a huge desire to find more recordings of this caliber, and an even bigger desire to beat most sound engineers with large metal objects.
  • zmanbands
    • May 2007

Which ones did you order?

Several of these look like test CD's. If you buy one of the test Cd's is there any point in getting the others?

Comment

• nayr
      • Jun 2005

Most are test cds, but they're tests with real music and full songs. There are some nice pieces on the one I got and I might pick up another... but it is a test cd / sampler.

Edit: I got the IsoMike Recordings 2007A test cd, Joe McQueen & Friends, & The Fry Street Quartet - 2 Disc

Comment

• zmanbands
        • May 2007

I ordered the first two above that you ordered.

Since you are looking for dynamite recordings, look for yamamoto, tsuyoshi trio. Three japenese chaps who recorded in the mid 1975's. Exacting recordings. Not cheap. These two are in SACD. Misty and Midnight Sugar. Having said all that don't give up on upgrading your system. A rising tide lifts all boats, well most boats except the ones with bad leaks. Each upgrade of my system has made good recordings [ there aren't too many fantastic ones] sound better. Thanks for the tip on isomike. Let you know what I think when they arrive!!!

Comment

• Spanky Ham
          • Jul 2006

That is an interesting way of recording. It reminds me of AT&Ts PSR. I don't think anything ever came of the AT&T technology unfortunately.

Comment

• zmanbands
            • May 2007

Received two Isomike recordings.

I am playing them on a $2000 SACD player that does not play surround sound but plays hybrid and stereo SACDs. I have about 1000 CD's. The 2007A test CD is boring and poor sounding in relation to almost all of them. The Joe McQueen CD has good musical content and the sound is a little better but over 500 of my redbook CD's sound better to me. So Isomike SACD's are "NOT", for me. They did come in a nice box with none of the usual postal damage to the cases. Wish it were not so!!!!!!!

Comment

• ThomasW
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Having heard Ray Kimber's IsoMike recordings at the RMAF 2006 demo room.....

I had a pretty good understanding of what to expect when I brought my IsoMike recordings home....

Many of the recordings are simply tests of the technology or recordings of local amateur musicians (Weber State).

That said, the sound quality is stunning when played on a sufficiently revealing system..

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• zmanbands
                • May 2007

Thanks Tom. What is your system?

Brett at Isomike is trying to figure out why they sound poorly on mine. I sent him my system components. Brett Is a really nice Guy. Maybe he can figure it out.

Comment

• Chris D
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Dec 2000

Okay... is there one or two Isomike recordings you guys would recommend, that would have excellent sound quality as well as decent music/audio to listen to?

I hate buying high-quality stuff, if the music isn't enjoyable. That's why I only listened to my Flaming Lips disc once or so. But conversely, Dire Straits, BIA gets played for me over, and over.
                  CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                  - Pleasantville

Comment

• zmanbands
                    • May 2007

Here Is MY System.

This is my system that I sent to Brett of Isomike for him to review . I did not care for the sound on the Joe Mcqueen SACD and Brett asked me to send my system to him. RF-7 Klipsch Speakers with [Dean xover], Rotel RB 1090 power amp, Audio Research SP 11 pre amp and a Sony DVP NS9000ES SACD player [upgraded to level 5 by Vacuum State]. Anti-cables for speaker wire and Cat Cables Kingcats for interconnects. Velodyne DLS 5000R sub. Eight ASC Tube/Bass Traps.

Comment

• nayr
                      • Jun 2005

Wow, I'm surprised you have such a negative reaction to the sound quality. I find them very impressive, and I've only seen them raved about. The pieces themselves on the test discs are exactly that though, and you can often hear mistakes in the performances, but the Joe McQueen cd and especially the Fry Street Quartet are much better.

Comment

• zmanbands
                        • May 2007

It's not as negative as it may sound

These are average sounding versus about half of my redbooks and a lot of redbooks sound better. Joe Mcqueen is nice but no where near a wow wow for my ears and system. Perhaps there is a quirk in my SACD player that just doesn't do well on their specific SACD's.

Comment

• nayr
                          • Jun 2005

Don't take this is a mean spirited statement, but perhaps with your tube pre-amp, horn speakers, and third party modded cd player, you're looking for a sweeter tone then these recordings provide. I find them to be some of the most realistic recordings, as in "wow! there's a real violin in my room (my girlfriend plays violin, and has in my room)", I've ever heard.

Comment

• ThomasW
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Chris D
                            Okay... is there one or two Isomike recordings you guys would recommend, that would have excellent sound quality as well as decent music/audio to listen to?

I hate buying high-quality stuff, if the music isn't enjoyable. That's why I only listened to my Flaming Lips disc once or so. But conversely, Dire Straits, BIA gets played for me over, and over.
                            The IsoMike recordings are really technological studies. There's not a lot of 'musicality' in them, and certainly nothing close to BIA.

These are dual mike recordings (no overdubs) most made in a small auditorium on the Weber state campus.

I'm curious about the newest one of the Blue Knights Drum and Bugle corp recorded out doors. Drum transients are very difficult to record properly. And when recorded correctly are system killers unless one has LARGE speakers and BIG amps.

I have same SACD recordings of the Kodo drummers of Japan. These have outstanding transient response characterisitics.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Chris D
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Dec 2000

Waaaaaaaaait, wait, wait... they have one of the Blue Knights? I played with the Blue Knights back in high school. Okay, I'll probably have to get that one.
                              CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Audiophiliac
                                • Apr 2006

I got to hear Ray Kimber's setup....only it was in the back of the Kimber Kable warehouse....and even there, it sounded unreal as far as the time and space dimensions. He gave me all of the "test" discs and I have a couple others I bought. I dont listen to them much, but they are cool.

Comment

• zmanbands
                                  • May 2007

ThomasW Speaking of drums

Have you heard the Sheffield Drum, Sheffield Track Record. Now this is a remarkable CD. Just about every sound a drummer can make. Extremely well recorded. Very pricey now a days.

Comment

• Chris D
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Dec 2000

Ah, if I'm reading correctly, looks like the DCI disc has been recorded, but not released yet. I'll have to keep an eye out for that.
                                    CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• zmanbands
                                      • May 2007

Nayr, To Get Back On Track!!!

Don't worry about hurting my feelings. I have a recommendation for you. Bob James, Ivory Coast. Fantastic recording "Wow"", hehe. And its fairly inexpensive on Amazon ie. dirt cheap. See what you think of it? Well recorded, no compression. Bob plays piano, and there is lots of sax and much more. It's one of my test records. Peace!!!

Comment

• zmanbands
                                        • May 2007

Nayr

Just checked. Ivory coast is $.55 that right 55 cents.

Comment

• nayr
                                          • Jun 2005

At 55c I figured I would jump on that, since I have a big amazon order getting packed up, but shipping from a third party to Canada kills it (if even they DO ship to Canada).

Comment

Working...
                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                          Search Result for "|||"