do you know your schiit from shinola?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • wkhanna
    Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006
    • 5674

    #1

    do you know your schiit from shinola?

    Etymology of "you don't know shit from Shinola":

    A colloquialism which dates back to the early 1940s in the United States, sometimes ended with "that's why your shoes don't shine". Shinola was a popular brand of shoe polish, which had a color and texture not unlike feces.

    like Schiit, Shinola is a US company (from Detroit) building its cred on 'american made', from sourced materials to labor .
    they started with watches.
    their latest venture is turn tables.
    specifically, the Runwell Turntable
    well, i would hope it does.....

    fact is they do not know shit from Shinola when it comes to designing analog spinners.
    another fact is that they where smart enough to realize it when they decided to jump on the current analog-resurgence bandwagon.
    so they went to VPI for design h
    elp along with advice on "local" outsourcing of subcontractors & materials.
    the end result is what i will call a re-badged VPI turn table that appears different from anything else VPI offers, at least on the outside.

    at $2.5k, it actually may deliver equivalency at its price point.
    but that is just a guess for now.....
    maybe i will get to hear one some day?
    i will be seeing (drinking) with VPI president Mat Weisfeld at this year's Capital Audiofest, so i will get the full story then.

    _


    Bill

    Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
    ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

    FinleyAudio
  • wkhanna
    Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006
    • 5674

    #2
    addendum to the first post:

    VPI is also an american based, home-bread & based manufacturer from New Jersey.
    Last edited by wkhanna; 03 February 2017, 16:11 Friday. Reason: added link
    _


    Bill

    Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
    ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

    FinleyAudio

    Comment

    • Hdale85
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Jan 2006
      • 16133

      #3
      Wow...that's a nice turntable, although $2500 is outside my reach sadly.

      Comment

      • Hdale85
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Jan 2006
        • 16133

        #4
        Originally posted by wkhanna
        addendum to the first post:

        VIP is also an american based, home-bread & based manufacturer from New Jersey.
        VPI you mean

        Comment

        • wkhanna
          Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2006
          • 5674

          #5
          Originally posted by Hdale85
          VPI you mean
          fixed....ops:
          _


          Bill

          Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
          ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

          FinleyAudio

          Comment

          • Alaric
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Jan 2006
            • 4157

            #6
            Originally posted by Hdale85
            Wow...that's a nice turntable, although $2500 is outside my reach sadly.
            Not only out of my reach, it's out of my line of sight. LOL I clicked on their ad here not long ago and looked around their website. They are extremely fond of their merchandise based on the prices I saw. I'm not sure that $2500 wouldn't get you better sound somewhere else. At $2395, this http://www.needledoctor.com/Music-Ha...2&category=351 is no slouch. Then again, the hipster market may place a higher premium on aesthetics than I would. I tend to be more of a form follows function guy. That said, the Shinola is a beautiful TT, and if I could easily afford I might be tempted to display it prominently. I certainly wouldn't complain to Santa if one showed up under my tree.

            I love this thread title. Something very similar went through my mind when I first saw the ad at the top of the page. It's the main reason I clicked on it.
            Lee

            Marantz PM7200-RIP
            Marantz PM-KI Pearl
            Schiit Modi 3
            Marantz CD5005
            Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

            Comment

            • Hdale85
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Jan 2006
              • 16133

              #7
              As nice as the Music Hall stuff is, at that sort of price range I think I'd be looking for a VPI Scout but honestly that point I imagine there are a lot of options out there and I'm sure everyone has a different opinion on which is the best.

              Comment

              • Alaric
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Jan 2006
                • 4157

                #8
                I don't disagree on the VPI at all. The Music Hall was just an easy find for me while posting because it happened to be the first one I thought of. Lazy, more than anything.
                Lee

                Marantz PM7200-RIP
                Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                Schiit Modi 3
                Marantz CD5005
                Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

                Comment

                Related Topics

                Collapse

                • Kevin_McC
                  Turntable recommendations
                  by Kevin_McC
                  Last year I got back into vinyl, but before buying a nice TT I figured I'd get a cheaper used one to try first to see if I would really still enjoy LP's.

                  Well as it turns out I listen almost exclusively to LP's, so I want to get a better turntable. I have three older TT's that I've been...
                  21 February 2003, 09:28 Friday
                • PewterTA
                  You're not going to believe this Schiit - Ragnarok & Yggdrasil
                  by PewterTA
                  Looks like the Schiit is going to hit the fan here soon!!!!

                  I love announcements and I might have to drop the coin on the new DAC.... hee hee.

                  I have to say I've been very impressed with their products and it looks like this will be some good stuff coming from them in the world...
                  12 June 2013, 08:17 Wednesday
                • HSSIDHU
                  Hooking up Rotel RSX-1055 as a DAC source for Schiit Valhalla 2 for headphones
                  by HSSIDHU
                  Hello all

                  I am new here, this is my first post.

                  I need your help to sort out the problem I have which is set out below.

                  I have a Rotel-1055 AVR which I am now only using in a 2.0 setup with 2 Mirage M490 bookshelf speakers, the source is a blu-ray player, and...
                  09 December 2017, 08:15 Saturday
                • flamethrower1
                  Turntable build
                  by flamethrower1
                  So in my quest of audio nirvana from from a record lathe, I came up with this design.
                  I have only run it with my test cartridge which is an Ortofon Blue and it sounds very nice.
                  Have yet to build the motor housing and controller for the BLDC motor, it sounded great even with the VPI motor....
                  17 June 2017, 20:52 Saturday
                • wkhanna
                  Will the Industry Schiit their Pants?
                  by wkhanna
                  Schiit released their latest DAC, the Yggdrasil, aka the 'Yggy'.

                  Click the FAQ tab on the page for some of Jasson's tongue-in-cheek marketing spiel (always good for a laugh).

                  HERE is some info from one of company reps regarding the 'new' technology.

                  I am dying...
                  25 April 2015, 16:31 Saturday
                • Loading...
                • No more items.
                Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

                  Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

                  Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"