X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nick Danger
    • Aug 2004

RSP 1066, RMB 1095 and Silver Kingcats!

I have a much happier tale to bring you all today!

I contacted Doug at Catcable, looking for interconnects for my system. I had been considering and researching alternatives to the cables that I bought when I purchased the Rotel equipment.

Subsequent to buying the Rotel pieces, I purchased a new VPI Aries Scout turntable with an Acoustic Signature Tango pre-amp. That dealer sold me Transparent Link 100 cables for the table to pre and pre to processor connections. I was very pleased with the Transparent cables and at one point during my summer of discontent, I had used the 4 Transparent Link 100s and one piece of Transparent Super interconnects for the processor to amp connection. The Super was very superior to the Link 100, and this fact began to disturb me, as I knew that I would likely never be satisfied with Link 100s for the processor to amp connection, and I could not afford the Supers (at about $900 pr CDN!). Gloom and despair set in.

Enter Catcables. I found, through this forum, the Catcable website. After reading all the posts and reviews I could find, I did some thinking. Most cables seem to be offered as having superior sonics though the cable material (copper, silver etc) and the dielectric or insulation properties keeping out RFI etc. Catcables use pure silver and copper and use teflon coatings AND Eichman connectors, which my research told me were excellent connectors. When I considered what must be outrageous retail mark-ups for various brands of cables, I came to the conclusion that I HAD to purchase the silver Kingcats from Catcable! After describing my system to Doug, he suggested the silver Kingcats. I hesitated buying all the cables that I need in my first purchase, preferring to buy only 5 at first (pro to amp) in case the silver cables were too bright for me.

Don't let anyone tell you that silver cables (interconnects) may be too bright for your system unless you hear them for yourself! The cables that Doug made for me have been in my system for about a week now and the sonic improvements, both digital and analogue, are amazing! My wife commented about the improvements in the system sound (with no prompting) on the second or third day they were in the system, so it ain't just me!

I think I now understand what audio reviewers mean when they say that there is mor air around the instruments - there is more dimension to the various instruments - more presence and realism to the sound. Bass is clean and solid and more lifelike - all instruments seem easier to visualise in the soundstage. The dimensionality that has been added to vocals and instruments is awesome!

These cables have been one of the best bang-for-the-buck sonic improvements I have purchased for some time, and Doug at Catcables has been a true professional in getting them made and delivered to me. I have now ordered 2 more pairs of silver Kingcats for my CD recorder (I like to record LPs, and sometimes digital material from the digital music stations from cable). I only wish that I hadn't gone out and purchased Transparent digital coax cable in August!

I would highly recommend that, if you have a case of upgraditis and are looking to replace interconnects, you should sample some of Doug's wares. With the sonic improvements that I have experienced in hooking up the 1066 and 1095 with the Silver Kingcats, I can't wait to hear what I'm missing on CDs!

(Moderator - I know this is about cables, but it is specifically about these cables and their interaction with the RSP 1066 and RMP 1095, but feel free to move if you feel it should be posted elsewhere!)

Nick Danger
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Glad you like them Nick...I know the silvercats I use between my pre amp and amp made a big difference as well.

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"