X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PewterTA
    • Nov 2004

The Audiophile next door....

Fun read!

Plucking an old jazz album from his imposing wall of wax, Mike Grellman points to a smoke-stained edge on the front cover. The day he bought the record, Grellman asked the store’s owner about the stains on it and a few other rare albums in the bin. “The guy’s wife found a receipt for one of his LPs, and tried to set fire to his collection,” he says. The world’s most dangerous hobbies: Skydiving. Mountain climbing. Audiophilia.
    Digital Audio makes me Happy.
    -Dan
  • madmac
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2010

I love the "Sit in the Crack" of the couch part. I've sat in the crack between two cushions of my couch for years because after many years of careful listening......That's the sweet spot!!. TRUE. Amen!.
    Dan Madden :T

Comment

• Chris D
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Dec 2000

BAAAHAHAHAHA!

I totally get it. What a great article. And my wife was rather pissed lately when she saw the bill for some Cat Cables I just bought.

But this guy clearly is not a true audiophile. No TRUE audiophile would set it up so you have to "sit on the crack" in the couch to get the sweet spot.
      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
      - Pleasantville

Comment

• bigburner
        Super Senior Member
        • May 2005

Originally posted by Chris D
        BAAAHAHAHAHA!

No TRUE audiophile would set it up so you have to "sit on the crack" in the couch to get the sweet spot.
        Agreed. Buy a three seater couch and position it so the centre of the couch is in the sweet spot. You'll have the option of lying down if the going gets tough.

If it's a good sized couch 4 people will be able to sit on it comfortably for concerts and they'll all be in the sweet spot, albeit some in sweeter spots than others. There will be cracks everywhere but who's looking?

Nigel.

Comment

• madmac
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2010

Originally posted by bigburner
          Agreed. Buy a three seater couch and position it so the centre of the couch is in the sweet spot. You'll have the option of lying down if the going gets tough.

If it's a good sized couch 4 people will be able to sit on it comfortably for concerts and they'll all be in the sweet spot, albeit some in sweeter spots than others. There will be cracks everywhere but who's looking?

Nigel.
          Sadly......our rather small living room had a sectional sofa in it and the spot it was in was non negotiable!. The crack was THE SPOT sadly !!!. I was happy to sit there.

Comment

• Burke Strickland
            • Sep 2001

Originally posted by from article
            "Sit on the crack,”
            Doesn't everyone sit on a crack every time they sit down? :>) When I found that my couch was too large to position so that one could sit squarely on a cushion and still be in the sweet spot, I got rid of the couch. I now have individual Ekornes chairs that can be easily rearranged at will.

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• madmac
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2010

The only downfall to sitting on the crack a lot is that it 'scews' the cushions on either side. When you do sit squarely on them, they send to lean in the direction of the crack!!. ACK!!

Comment

• wkhanna
                Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2006

Honestly.........

I find it incredulous to see so many grown men complaining about a little crack.
                _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
                ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• impala454
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Oct 2007

Hmm, dunno about y'all but I find it rather impossible to *NOT* sit on a crack
                  -Chuck

Comment

• Chris D
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Dec 2000

This thread now has me hooked on crack.
                    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                    - Pleasantville

Comment

• PewterTA
                      • Nov 2004

You all are crackin' me up...
                      Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                      -Dan

Comment

• jim1961
                        • Nov 2012

While the photo of the room doesn't show much, it appears to be a untreated room. It amazes me that someone who obviously loves music and puts big bucks into equipment would ignore room acoustics/treatment.
                        Seek out and destroy early high gain room reflections

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        😂
                        🥰
                        😘
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😞
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"